Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Skinned knuckles – second set

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    angelcakes

I just started Krav Maga last week. I did savate years ago, so I’ve got hand wrapping down. The difference is that with savate, we always wore 14 oz gloves on top of the wraps. In my Krav Maga class, no one wear those. They wear either hand wraps or grappling-type gloves. The problem is that my second set of knuckles are skinned to hell (okay, not THAT bad). And they STING! Not the knuckles on the top of my hand – the next set down. I’m not sure if this is something that you just have to contend with when you’re constantly hitting a tombstone or if it’s something that gloves would fix. After looking online, none of the gloves seem to go down that far, so I don’t want to waste the cash on gloves if they won’t be any better than wraps.

Please help. I currently look like an are-tard sitting at my desk in a law office with band-aids all over my knuckles.

kmman

Re: Skinned knuckles – second set

Work on your striking. It appears you are making contact where you shouldnt be.

I dont know of any gloves that would cover your “knocking” knuckles and still allow you to grapple.

kmyoshi

KMMAN is correct, work on proper punching techniques. Correct me if I’m wrong, is it the pinky and ring finger where the knuckles are getting skinned? I had that issue as well (and sometimes still do) but for me, I found that wearing hand wraps in conjunction with the grappling (MMA) gloves alleviated the issue. I actually felt the grappling gloves was what caused me to have the skinned knuckles as there was something in there rubbing against my knuckles.

I’d also recommend lavender oil on the skinned knuckles, it helped it heal much faster. The oil will dry out the skin, so put some lotion around the skin but not on the actual exposed part of the injury.

catapult

Aside from the advice to “just do it right,” MMA sparring gloves like these will protect your second knuckles and provide almost as much padding as a boxing glove while still letting you grapple. And you can lose the wraps if you use them — they have plenty of wrist support.

http://www.mmawarehouse.com/Hayabusa-Tokushu-7oz-Hybrid-Gloves/hay-1080,default,pd.html?start=2&cgid=hayabusa-tokushu

don

Assuming your technique is good, another idea is to buy a roll of first aid tape and put a layer over those areas of greatest wear/tear during class.

kevinmack

man up.

angelcakes

Thanks everyone for the responses (my favorite being to man up)! I’m pretty sure my punching technique is okay, but I’ll talk do my teacher. The glove recommendation is fantastic! And so was the medical tape (which I’ll be using today).

Thanks again!!

kmman

It’s also possible, if your technique is OK, that you are striking soft pads and your fist is getting deep into the pad. If thats the case, I’d say the tape is best option.

jacgue36

Don’t worry about it, they will callus over!! ;): Mine did!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: