Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    dunc

hello fiends.

i can’t get my skinned knuckles to heal.
    i know my technique needs work, so i’m working on that, and i’m going to be stuck learning palm strikes for a bit, but does anybody have some advice on speeding up the healing process?

i’m getting a lot of blood and skin on the bag, and its unhygenic for my partners.

for the record, KM 3 weeks in, loving it, can’t stop going, and i already use handwraps. trying to avoid gloves but will use if they’re only solution.

thanks people.

dunc

more wag,
    less bark.

kirk

Re: skinned knuckles.

band-aids, medical tape and gloves…. That’s how I got mine to heal while I still trained. Apply the band-aid, tape knuckles, wear gloves in class, repeat as needed.

ithos

bloody knuckles are good for your health, toughens you up….

on a serious note, gloves man, get them, good investment, thin ones, like so –> https://kravmaga.com/store/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jnrnnmp0

and hope your instructors focus on legs for a while till those knuckles heal, but it isn’t a bad thing to bloody them up every so often in my opinion, I’d guess it’s good training for a tooth embedded in your knuckles if you ever actually punch someone in the mouth during a fight.

so bandage, tape and wrap those knuckles, but don’t let them get too soft…

russell

another nice thing about gloves 14-16 oz on your fist every time you punch it will help with speed and power (when you take them off) dicks has everlast for about $30.00 (every body laughs at my daughters pink gloves)another thing you can try i found a website that list’s different way’s to wrap your hands and they showed a way that lays the wrap back and forth across the knuckles 3 or 4 times that might give you some padding

just a idea
    russell

jesse

If you’re using handwraps, you should be using the 180″ ones…not the 120″. The 180″ ones give you plenty of length to wrap your knuckles well and provide a good bit of padding as well as provide all the support you’ll need for your wrist and fingers. If you use the 120″ ones, I’ll guarantee you’ll end up running out of length without having everything supported right. I purchased the book “King of the Ring” by Benny Urquidez years ago and it has a very detailed explanation of how to wrap your hands well. I’d be glad to try to type it out if you want. Keep using Neosporin or something on it and bandaging it under the tape.

dunc

Thank you very much for the advice everyone, and thanks for the time you all put in to your answers.

I am using the 180’s, but still find it a bit confusing doing the more complicated wraps i’ve seen on a couple of websites.

still, it’s getting more natural each time. right now i’m going 5x round wrist, 5 x round knuckles, then X’s over back of hand, wrists and knuckles, to use up the rest of the wrap.

last time at the gym, the wraps just filled up with blood till i left big splats of tomato sauce all over the bag. (not nice for others, makes ME feel great though)

i’ll try the band aids and tape method next, and probably buy the gloves, although i do think all this trauma is toughening up the hands a bit.
    bloody painful surfing this morning though.

main thing is to learn to punch properly, elbows in, hit with top 2 knuckles. but you know how it is, by the end of the class, you’re so done in, all technique goes by the wayside.

still, baby steps.

thanks once again.

dunc

wag more,
    bark less.

dunc

hi jesse,

don’t bother typing it up yet thanks,

love the arabic. LOL.

dun c

كافر too.

clfmak

Wrap your hands and punch with good form.

saruotoko

One word of advice….don’t use medical tape. That stuff falls off the second you start to sweat. Use “trainers” tape that you can get at most sporting goods stores. That stuff stays on nicely in most cases. 🙂

brewerm

Mine bled every day at first. I put on the athletic bandaids and the liquid bandaid , wrapped the hands and then put gloves on until the knuckles healed. Durng class extend your extend your hand as if you had just punched, turn your hand slightly down so you can only hit on the top 2 knuckes, that helped me.

Try this Muay Thai style wrapping, it seems to give better protection to my hands and wrists as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMmEVQrAVjk

Good Luck,

Brewer McNeil

jonj480

I use a mixture of Lanolin, neosporin, and a vitamin E lotion and it seems to help. My problem area is the webbing between my thumb/index finger from holding kick shields. As long as you can keep it moist so it will avoid cracking, it should help speed the healing process. My wife is a physician (quite handy for all of the bumps, scrapes and stuff) and that is what she puts on me to fix it up.

Fyi, the pure lanolin smells pretty bad (like sheep wool) but it works awesome.

dunc

“One word of advice….don’t use medical tape”

guess what i just got from CVS.

DOH!

thanks anyway

dunc.

more wag
    less bark

dunc

“Try this Muay Thai style wrapping,”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMmEVQrAVjk

brilliant!
    even i can remember it.

and thanks to JonJ480, i’ll try that too.

top banana.

dunc.

krav-turo

You will need to wrap your hands and use 16 oz gloves. Glove trainining will really tire you out and strengthen your punches and help your speed. Not to mention keeping your hands up with 16 oz is a little harder than just holding up a pair of bloody hands.

tko99

quote brewerm:

Durng class extend your extend your hand as if you had just punched, turn your hand slightly down so you can only hit on the top 2 knuckes, that helped me.

This is exactly what I need to do! I’ve been punching with the bony part of my first two fingers (the bony part above the wrists when you make a fist… can’t think of the name right now), probably because I flex my wrist outwards when I make contact with the pad a bit instead of turning my hand slight down as you suggested. After reading what you just posted, it makes complete sense now.
    Great suggestion. Thanks for sharing! :beer:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: