Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Somebody explain something to me…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

I wanted to ask my instructor about this but I figured mid class wasn’t the time for discussions on theory and practice.

So anyway…

We learned to absorb the round kick last night. That was fun. It actually wasn’t too bad. I’m sure it will get worse. We also learned to kick each other in the shins… It reminded me of teaching 1st grade.

The thing that struck me about the round kick absorbing (other than my buddy’s foot) was that the movement went against my natural instinct. When kicked in the thigh I would usually turn and absorb the kick with the back of my leg rather than the front. I know some other martial arts teach that can anybody give me the history behind the Krav way? How does it compare with the way other forms do it.

Also… Holy crap! Blocking a kick with your shin is going to hurt like a mother in a real fight. Has anybody ever done that? Were you able to walk the next day? Week?

bull1189

Re: Somebody explain something to me…

If you turn and absorb the kick with the back of your leg, what will your position be to counter and continue fighing? What if the kick was a feint low and he comes up high – how will you defend your head? You probably should have asked your instructor.

Like I said… Monopolizing his class time to ask questions about the comparative benefits of one style vs another just seemed to be a little selfish and inconsiderate. I figure his time is better spent watching people in the class actually do the move rather than sitting to have a long discussion with a single student. Fortunately, my Army background gives me the ability to “do” without asking stupid questions. I figured I’d just learn the move the way it is taught and then find out the why later.

craig-p

It’s not a stupid question at all and I would encourage you to feel free to ask any questions during class.

Bull makes a valid point. Beyond that, a flexed quad is about the strongest part of your leg, it may hurt a bit but you will still be standing and ready to counter. If you take a round kick to the back of the leg your gonna go down real fast. Think about it, round kick into the back of the knee, your knee wiil flex your leg will come up off the ground and it pretty much becomes a sweep. Your attacker will need to simply push you and your on your back.

As far as theory, in Krav Maga we defend and simultaneously counter, always moving forward to your attacker. In this scenario, if you give the back of your leg you are effectively giving up your back as well. Your off balance and unable to send counters.

quote Craig P:

It’s not a stupid question at all and I would encourage you to feel free to ask any questions during class.

Oh I agree… It’s not a stupid question and I always feel free to ask questions. I just think places like this board are a much better place to delve into history and theory.

It’s kind of like in my classes at school. If the question is productive and the answer will benefit everybody then you should participate in class. If it’s just some random thing you’ve got on your mind or an observation based on your limited (and usually irrelevant) personal experience then I feel it is better form to ask when you’re not taking up everybody else’s time.

rq

quote DirtyHippieUte:

Fortunately, my Army background gives me the ability to “do” without asking stupid questions.

That’s only helpful to your SGT when he tells you to jump on top of a grenade, you should have asked the instructor.

bradm

The back sided of your thigh is much more tender than the front (fixed quad) and getting hit there is a lot more painful. We used to practice a drill in sparring class where we would evade a round kick to the leg and then step in and counter with a roundkick to the back of out partner’s leg as his leg passed by, missing our leg. This is also a technique that I was taught at a Bas Ruten seminar I attended a few years ago.

giant-killer

I think you should have asked, might have been beneficial to the whole class.

I agree with everyone here, turning the leg inward and absorbing with the back part of your leg would be very painful and would cave your leg in, so the attacker could get to your back easily, or even push you to the ground. Also, you got to remember that in a real fight you’ll absorbe maybe one kick and then counter. So, if it hurts doing the defense over and over again, it’s just because you are not used to it yet and the drill will condition your leg to take that one kick in a real fight.

vwr32

My vote is to either ask after class or ask here. A lot of things start making sense the longer you train. Follow your Army instinct.

kpalena

The back of the leg is softer, and it is not flexed while in a fighting stance. There is also a major nerve that runs between the hamstrings and the quads. A strong kick will impact that nerve……it hurts like hell…for a long time.

As far as using the shin…yes I have. I had a guy who was supposed to be throwing high round kicks and he was not listening and threw one at my leg…my reaction was to block with the shin….I was limping for a couple days, it still hurts to push on it. He was in unbelievable pain….is scared to kick now…

kravmdjeff

Remember, the kick defense is not designed to go shin-to-shin in the street. Make sure you’re getting the strongest, thickest part of your shin/lower leg into the weakest part of his kick…like right at the ankle. That’s one of the most common mistakes I see among students (that is, going shin to shin).

jjk

Yes dude, hitting shins when two people are going at it is one of the worst things ever. Imagine two people round housing eachother and meeting at the shin. Happens all the time in TKD, and even very high level people can’t walk for days afterwards. And they even wear pads there.

marz

:combat: Wow, let’s not beat up the guy for asking a question in the forum, that’s probably not what ya’lls intentions were but dang. Either way, the absorbing of the kick is to one, keep you in a defensive stance and also to create an opening for a counter. If you work on timing you can actually stump the kick which puts you within his defense and also he’s off balance. But that’s with practice, practice, practice. With the shin block KravMDjeff said it the best. If you’re wondering then why do we learn to absorb kicks, basically body hardening.

kravmdjeff

Yeah, Marz, that’s a good point. Anytime you can jam the round kick by stepping inside before it’s developed, that’s preferable. The difficulty is, it’s counter-intuitive…but after seeing quite a few students get hit even harder by backing out to a kicker’s maximum range (where the impact will hurt the most), I tend to get students thinking about moving in to absorb the round kick before it’s at full power…not only that, it gets you going forward for counter attacks, so even if you eat the full-force round kick, you’re only doing that once and then you’re putting your attacker down right away.

I asked my instructor and he explained it in detail. When viewed in light of prep for a counter strike it makes a lot of sense. It also makes more sense when you add in the attempt to stuff the kick rather than just sit there and take it at full force.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: