Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Soreness Management.. are you “Gellin?”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    cjs-dad
    Keymaster

As we get a little older I seem to be getting sorer. In the old days I used Tiger Balm or this wicked smelling stuff we called Thai Oil on my muscles when they were sore.

Recently Iíve started using Cryogel on my knees and bad shoulder. The smell isnít obnoxious and although not as good as Thai Oil really does seem to help. It has both the tube gel form and a nice roll on applicator that keeps it from getting all over your everything.

Anyone have anything else they really like to use on sore muscles. Other then ice when at home I mean. Iím referring to keep in your bag type remedies.

giant-killer

I heard that drinking grapefruit juice or taking grapefruit extract pills can help lessen some muscle soreness. I’ve tried it, but in conjunction with ice, so can’t be sure how much the juice alone helped. But I do think it can do something, but best to drink it/take supplement right after workout. Quick icing is still the best overall remedy for me, though. You could even take a bottle with water, freeze it, then carry it with you and use it for a quick form of icing after class while chatting with KM loved ones. Or use it while chatting with KM loved ones over the internet. Better than nothing.

unstpabl1

One of the best investments I’ve ever made was a tube of tennis balls. I have saved myself a ton of money doing tennis ball myo fascile release. I rarely go to to the PT or chiro. A PT taught me it and its like giving yourself Trigger point Therapy. Works better than any after market contraption. If I’m feeling real sadistic I use a golf ball…ouch. Caution don’t do it on the spine itself

I use it before a class and when i get home to workout the knots. I think I have a tutorial somewhere for it. If there is interest in it I’ll dig it up

vwr32

Re:

quote \”Giant Killer\:

I heard that drinking grapefruit juice or taking grapefruit extract pills can help lessen some muscle soreness.

Probably similar to grapefruit juice is fresh pineapple. Supposedly it contains something called bromelain (sp?) which acts as an inflammatory. Does grapefruit conflict with some medications? Seems I’ve read something to that effect in the past.

Also, it was talked about recently in another thread: potassium. It was the reason I started drinking lots of Low Sodium V8 (cheap, tons of potassium). According to bodybuilding.com: \”Potassium may help reduce muscle soreness that results from training. Any deficiency in potassium levels may result in decreased strength, and the early onset of exercise induced fatigue. Potassium helps to regulate water balance and is also needed for the synthesis of dietary proteins.\”
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/pot.html

I don’t advocate supplements in this case, because it is so cheap and there is a whole host of other vitamins / minerals which is also beneficial in the v8. While this isn’t the type of ointment you keep in your gym bag, I see it more as an ounce of prevention… or 8 ounces…. or more if you’re like me lol.

For external, I recently tried something called BioFreeze. Stayed \”cold\” for quite a while, but haven’t used it enough to really decide if I like it.

unstpabl1

Re:

[quote=\”vwr32Giantkiller[/quote]

Probably similar to grapefruit juice is fresh pineapple. Supposedly it contains something called bromelain (sp?) which acts as an inflammatory.

Bromelian is a digestive enzyme that acts as an anti inflamitory. Its a gout cure. Mixed with Quercitin its suppose to be very effective in gout relief. Gout is a form of arthritis, extremely painful and debilitating. If this is effective its a big deal on pain relief. Look at it this way, I have to take presciption NSAID’s as well as vicadin for pain during an attack. Sometimes that doesn’t even work. i’m vic’d up for days and i hate drugs/pills

Either way for the purposes of this discussion, supplementing bromelain may not be a bad idea as you’ll get the anti inflamitory properties as well as digestive enzymes, which some of our food looses thru pasturization and other processing. I used it when I use MRP’s to help break it down.

the concern on bromelain as a gout cure is the amount need to help and the acid(Pineapple) on the stomach. my problem so far is the pills are big and chewing them tears up my mouth and throat. Yeah I chew aspirin 🙄

megandw

biofreeze and traumeel = great!

kravjeff

I recently saw titanium necklaces, bracelets and even lotion that supposedly has the same type of effect. I’m definitely skeptical, but there are some swear by it. Seems to be very popular amongst the baseball culture. Guess they probably don’t train like we do 😀

Grapefruit (and its extracts) can’t be taken if your taking a specific type of prescription to manage high cholesterol known as statins. Apparently it can cause a decrease in the ability of the body to break down the drug, causing it to rise to toxic levels and in effect you can overdose, typically causing severe liver and kidney problems, which can lead to severe illness and even death.

Interesting info about pineapple – I’ll have to follow up.

vwr32

Re:

quote \”kravjeff\:

Interesting info about pineapple – I’ll have to follow up.

From one of my favorite sites, here’s some info on the health benefits of pineapple. They cite their references at the bottom too if you’re interested.
    http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=34

karmaok

Biofreeze and a Goody’s powder after class, before soreness sets in. Much, much less sore the next day. Repeat in the AM if it was a really rough night.

Jeff

kravjeff

Thanks VWR!

bradm

vwr32
    \”Probably similar to grapefruit juice is fresh pineapple. Supposedly it contains something called bromelain (sp?) which acts as an inflammatory. Does grapefruit conflict with some medications? Seems I’ve read something to that effect in the past. \”

You may have read that in one of my post a while back. My doctor advised me against eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice because of my medication. Among my medications is ZOCOR for high cholesterol. Kravjeff highlighted on this in his post above.

maskedkat

There are MANY medications that should not be taken with grapefruit juice. The enzyme in grapefruit interferes with the action of some drugs, and with others can make them way too potent. A few years back, there were some deaths associated with taking an allergy drug (I think it was Claritin) with grapefruit juice. Read labels!

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

So Iím nursing this giant black bruise on my thigh this morning courtesy of Miss Jacksons Master Toddy leg kicks.

Iím thinking I might need something a little stronger then a glass of juice. LOL

I have on so much Tigar Balm I just killed a fly in mid flight.

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”CJs Dad\:

So Iím nursing this giant black bruise on my thigh this morning courtesy of Miss Jacksons Master Toddy leg kicks.

Iím thinking I might need something a little stronger then a glass of juice. LOL

I have on so much Tigar Balm I just killed a fly in mid flight.

😆 For bruises in Ninpo we used a Dit Da Jow fomula that sensei made. They cleared up really fast, probably twice as fast as normal

giant-killer

Arnica gel works well for bruises, especially if you put it on before the bruise fully develops. You’s have to massage it in for a while, but it’s worth it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: