Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    kpalena

ohhhh….

Then yes, it looks something like this:

Lead leg kick-jab-jab-cross-round kick-jab-cross. Get them to dedicate to one side then hit fom the opposite side whist moving the opposite way, this loading the opposite side again…..

anyone get that?

la-revancha

Set up the liver shot.

andre

1) Avoid Liver Shots
    2)Create angles
    3)Work Tool and Targeting
    4)Work Counters
    5)Work Defenses
    6)Know the Purpose of your Sparring
    7)Learn Partners Habits
    8)Always Remember Good Sparring isn’t Necessarily Analogous to Good Self-Protection
    9)Don’t go Hard Unless your Partner is Willing/Capable
    Not listed in any specific order.

la-revancha

^^ Looks like we have a winner.

andre

8) Nice to be back.

dkst

During bag workout we practice a right cross followed with a right roundhouse. I decided to use it during sparring and it works like a charm. Most of the time people are focused on the cross and not expecting the round house. You can also use this with a left hook. What you do is use the left hook as a set up. Don’t try to connect, swing it short while at the same time loading your leftround house (liver shot). Your opponent will most likely try and block the hook, but since you aren’t trying to hit him, all your momentum is in the left round house. If he uses the correct defense against a hook, he is wide open.

Besides the basics I think the most important thing to do during sparring is to realize you are going to get hit. I went for a take down the other night and got hit so hard it stopped me from getting the take down. I wasn’t ready for the punch nor was I thinking I was going to get hit. Next time I go for a takedown, I’m going to go harder and know that I have to push through anything that gets in my way. That is what I mean by realizing you are going to get hit. You might through the perfect combo, but can you do it while taking a punch?

anonymous

I think having those types of strategies are probably the first steps toward becoming a good fighter. I assume a professional already knows all of the different combos he could throw and uses them instinctively, without having to consciously think about them too much (especially if he goes a less experienced person).

kirsten

Avoid Livershots?!

Guess Bas never got that email… 😉

anonymous

Neither did Amir…… 8)

progress

kpalena- What level are you????

kpalena

Re:

quote \”Progress\:

kpalena- What level are you????

A very motivated level 2.

jl

El Guapo sets up the liver shot. He strikes to the head area until he sees the elbows raise to protect then goes with the hook to the liver. Very effective but not used much in sparring. Remember we are not supposed to punish our partners(unless they punish us first) 😉 .

Sparring in my mind is for the sharping of skills with resistance. To work on spacing, timing and combos (jab/punch/lefthook/rightuppercut).
    Movement is another big component in sparring (bobbing, weaving, circling, closing the gap etc.). So the next time you spar consider the things yopu learned and the things you need to work on, then rumble young man rumble. 😈

anonymous

Amir likes the liver kick. I remember often in fight class (not the NTC, another place), he’d spar with the students (mostly advanced, tough guys) and he’d finish each and every one of them with a kick to the liver. The kicks were strong enough to send them straight to the floor and then he’d just turn and go for the next guy. By the end of class, he’d be the only man standing and in each corner there’d be people sitting or lying on the ground, moaning in pain and he’d be staring at them, with this innocent look on his face, saying something like \”What’s wrong with everybody? Get back up!!\”

Good times. 8)

clfmak

Andre nailed that one.

Unlike kpalena, I’m not much a fan of long combinations. Seven moves is a lot to throw out there and kind of assumes its uninterrupted. When training combinations, I link two to three strikes together. Longer combos are a continuation of these. That’s not to say that I don’t train them- but when I work long combinations, I make them up on the spot depending on what presents itself. Lead leg kick-jab-jab-cross-round kick-jab-cross seems like too much specific stuff to think about. Fake high and go for leg kick and get out of range is more my style. Or, enter and punch repeatedly and get out of range. Simple and flexible.

I enjoy throwing in some unpredictible if not unpractical things in every once in a while, for fun and to keep everyone used to random attacks. Some of them- After throwing a few front kicks to get the person used to them, you throw it out half way then reverse the foot behind you as you hop forward and throw a cross on one foot. Often times people will block low for the front kick and get hit high, and you get good power (I’ve seen this in MMA dubbed a superman punch, but that’s usually off of a fake roundhouse kick low).
    Other things: same idea, using a fake front kick to propel you off the ground so they might expect another mid level attack, then rotate into a roundhouse kick low. It looks vaguely like this (this is not an endorsement for this video, as I’ve never seen it), you can click on the video link. I don’t do this very often.
    http://www.trsdirect.com/tiparchive.php?tip=muaykick#
    Another random one I’ve been playing around with- stepping back when attacked to a position where I can throw a lead hook kick. Rather than to the head, I’ve used this to okay effect when someone is somewhat sideways to drive the heel into the liver, or against a square fighter to attack the ribs or use the foot to hook and pull the arm away and turn their back to you a little, setting you up for other things (I like the rear arm overhand or the kick to the back of the leg).

kravmdjeff

Giantkiller…so if you fought with Amir, and Amir supposedly likes the liver kick, were you in the corner moaning?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: