Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kvmorl

I’ve looked around the net for punching speed drills and there so many, I wanted to hear from fellow Kravist here what they see as better ones. Power & Stamina have improved greatly, speed & accuracy are my next focus for fight class..

michaelmall

Re: Speed drills.

Really the main one is to use hand weights when you practice
    punches.The old Bruce Lee paper target works.I have noticd
    in krav maga they use analogies such as stirring the pot for a
    hook punch which gives you motion, then you can practice
    stirring the pot faster to develop your fast twith muscles.

leejam99

double end bag and speed bag for speed and accuracy. if you’ve never hit these… its not as easy as you think!!

kvmorl

Can do both here at home, not bad…

clfmak

I agree with the double end and speed bags, but not the weights. Shadowboxing with weights puts resistance in the wrong direction- the resistance is straight down, when you want it to be lateral (except maybe uppercuts).
    I think training just for speed is overrated. If you feel like you don’t punch fast enough, you probably have some timing or form issues to be worked out in sparring instead of trying to improve absolute speed.

kvmorl

quote CLFMak:

I agree with the double end and speed bags, but not the weights. Shadowboxing with weights puts resistance in the wrong direction- the resistance is straight down, when you want it to be lateral (except maybe uppercuts).
    I think training just for speed is overrated. If you feel like you don’t punch fast enough, you probably have some timing or form issues to be worked out in sparring instead of trying to improve absolute speed.

My jab is not nearly as quick as many in class, I’ve asked instructor about form and he said it was good.

Regarding the weights aren’t I using forward resistance as well if I’m punching straight, there would be some down resistance but not 100% of it. I haven’t tried weights, but I do see the speed difference now with 16oz glove on and off, I always do our striking drills with them on.

clfmak

Most of the resistance is straight down with weights. Things like bands would put the resistance in the right direction. In some karate schools, inner tubes from bikes are modified for similar training devices. My korean friend went to a judo/yudo place as a kid and they used bands fixed to a wall to work fit ins and violently whipping around for shoulder wheel throws and such. Mostly I think the key to speed is relaxation and constant repetition. You can train just for speed, but you also need to know when to throw your strike at the right moment in time with the right distancing, power and accuracy, all against a resisting opponent. With a tall order like that, I don’t spend too much time developing absolute speed. That’s my 2 cents.

elguapokfm

I believe resistant bands are very effective if you want to develope speed. place them on a pole about shoulder height and go at it with correct form

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: