Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    inky

Ok so i know how to get into my active stance and during class and shadow boxing I’m looking good but everytime i spar my brain reverts to blading up like im back in Aikido. Anyone familler with any drills to help condition faster. I know practice always makes perfect but id like to blow the bell curve as it were.

Thanks & Cheers yaw!

jaspthecat

Re: Stance Drills?

Getting yourself out of a stance mindset is difficult.

I did 2 things:

Use the lines on the floor to act as a reference point for where your feet should be.

Ask my training partner to pick up on my error each time it was apparent.

Took time but worked.

Agree with above advice. Tell your sparring partner to watch for it and mention it everytime they see it. Or if there are people sitting out a round while you are sparring see if they will watch you. For you personally just think “all weapons forward” so you can attack with your left or right and try to check yourself whenever possible.

Suggestion: spar an individual relatively good at takedowns and have him shoot on you when he sees the opening. Your goal is to sprawl (not evade) to counter. It is difficult to sprawl from a bladed stance and you will likely quickly adjust.

jl

Spot on advice!!! Having someone shoot on you is the best way to cover this problem area(you may have someone that comes from a wrestling background in class). You can also use sprawling drills to increase your speed at this. Amir does this quite a bit in his instruction. Imagine your in a puching drill and the instructor yells sprawl randomly, you sprawl and then jump back to your feet and wait for the next one. Good drill!! Hope this helps!! JL

kirsten

Well… I have several great drills for this exact thing! Lynn or Mark, maybe both are looking like they are going to go through the new Bas Rutten Fight Club program in January and we will teaching them the drills for it.

Work on the above posts, its great advice. Try light contact sparring with a good friend with only body shots- no head contact. This helps to relieve some stress and helps you focus on your stance,etc. I have a couple of other drills but it will take forever to explain over the forum… Sorry. I know Sam Sade has some outstanding drills too. So tell Lynn we will see him in January!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: