Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    hypnotic214

Can anyone recommend a good stand up bag? I live in an apartment and have some space restrictions that limits my options to a smaller sized bag. I got an Everlast “Johnny Sockitomee” for Christmas. It took me 2-3 hrs to assemble it :angry: and about 30 minutes to break it :banghead:. I would like to think that my punches are just that powerful :D: but from reading reviews from other users this is common problem. I am going to return this one and get something else. Can anyone recommend a good stand up bag that’s going to hold up to some basic kicks and punches?

russell

Re: Stand Up Bag

try the century wave, good sturdy,hollow base to fill with water or sand, at the place that i take classes at, that’s what they use, but i don’t know how well the landlord would like the water base

what ever you decide let me know i don’t have room for something that big but would like some ideas for me and my daughter

good luck russell

raneman

I am looking into this myself so I am pretty interested in what the community can add. I am trying to stay in the $100-$150 range(2 girls in college is killing me right now lol)

Thanks,

Pete

wyatt9696

i would like to recommend the century wavemaster xxl, but in an apartment might pose some problems. you’d have to fill the base with water or sand. in your case i’d do water(easily emptied) the problems i see, regardless of what freestanding bag you get is movement and noise. not sure what floor apt. you live on, but your neighbors might take exception to the pounding sounds eminating from your apt. in order to stop a freestanding bag from moving during training, you need to make it heavy. this puts more weight on the floor, thus more noise through the floor. If you train in a basement, no problems. the xxl would be the way to go imo. tall enough for all kicks and strikes. very versatile bag. let us know what you decide. good luck. i linked it below. also, you can get them cheaper online.

http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Training_Bags/Wavemaster/Wavemaster_XXL_Bundle.aspx

stevetuna

I’m sorry to say that I can speak expertly on this topic.

My studio uses the standing bags as (at present) I have no good setup for hanging Thai bags (my preference). I started with the Wavemasters. They were great – right up to the point when the screw-in plastic parts that secure the bags to the bases began to break. This is a huge design flaw.

So I’ve been on the lookout for a replacement for the Wavemasters since day 1. Revgear began to offer a stand-up bag. I ordered one to check it out. The good news – their bag was made with a solid piece connecting the bag to the base – great design! I was happy as can be. The bags were less expensive as well – even better! Then… The bags started to wear down quickly. I estimate that within 6 to 8 months (of pretty hard use, to be sure), the padding inside the bags wore out and my customers were complaining about hitting or kicking “dead spots”. ARRRRRRRGH!!!!!

Of the two designs, I’ve decided to stick with the Revgear bags, resigning myself to buying replacement tops on a rotating basis throughout the year – until someone puts the Wavemaster tops (which are very well made and durable) onto the Revgear assembly.

I also fill the bases with sand. The only reason is that we had a leak in a water filled base once upon a time. The sand is hard to put in (ironically, I just put two new bags together this morning – still swearing about the project and the clean-up…) and even harder to get out. I tend to believe that this is why God invented the Sawzall…

I hope this whiny post helps you out. Good luck.

jay99

quote wyatt9696:

i would like to recommend the century wavemaster xxl, but in an apartment might pose some problems. you’d have to fill the base with water or sand. in your case i’d do water(easily emptied) the problems i see, regardless of what freestanding bag you get is movement and noise. not sure what floor apt. you live on, but your neighbors might take exception to the pounding sounds eminating from your apt. in order to stop a freestanding bag from moving during training, you need to make it heavy. this puts more weight on the floor, thus more noise through the floor. ]

I am going to second the noise concern with this. I have an Everlast free standing bag at home which I filled with 240lbs of sand and I live on the second floor of an apartment building. The design and base seem to be very very similar to the wavemaster but that sucker still bounces when I pick up the power. I can’t really offer much feed back on the durability as I spend more time on the bags at the NTC than I do on the bag at home but the noise factor should be taken into consideration.

Good luck with your purchase. Hope this helps.

Another thing you have to watch out for with the stand ups especially in an apartment is the bags still dont stay in place with just sand.

I’ve had the displeasure of finding out first hand what happens when it hits the wall of my living room will do. When I moved it out from the wall I found a nice large indentation in my drywall.

Ouch that’s gonna hurt!

oneness

Guys if you can wait, Bas is coming out with a new striking device.

You can do the MMA workout on it. Hit it has hard as you want etc and it won’t move. I believe you can kick on it as well. There have been a couple of changes since I seen it last, so i’m not sure about kicking.

Its very lightweight and can be put up or take down in seconds.

I believe he is looking at May or June. They just recently filmed the informercial for it.

I’ll check with Bas next week and then get back a give you guys an update.

jburtonpdx

quote Oneness:

You can do the MMA workout on it. Hit it has hard as you want etc and it won’t move. I believe you can kick on it as well. There have been a couple of changes since I seen it last, so i’m not sure about kicking.

Its very lightweight and can be put up or take down in seconds.

I believe he is looking at May or June. They just recently filmed the informercial for it.

I’ll check with Bas next week and then get back a give you guys an update.

Does it say
    “Keep moving, if your not tired do some sit ups”
    “Do everything (pause) 100%”
    etc….

carpecanis

I’ve had some pretty good luck with the B.O.B. It’s quite fun to actually be able to aim for a chin with an uppercut and a liver when doing a liver shot. Unfortunately you can’t really perform any low-kicks since there’s no padding below Bob’s waist.

I have the max amount of sand… 250-300lbs… I can’t recall how much, and Bob will still wobble all around and slam into the wall with a good kick. Plus he rotates with hook punches. I’m not really sure what, if anything, you can do to prevent this w/ any standup bag.
    ….

Come on Oneness, don’t tease us with the Bas device. More info please!

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Oneness:

I know a few people who were the ìtestersí for the infomercial. One specifically just raved about how cool it was. And yes she said she was kicking it.

Looking forward to seeing it in person.

oneness

Thanks CJ. I couldn’t remeber.

Yeah very cool that some of the KMNTC instructors are in the informercial. Bas says the informercial came out really good and everyone is going to love it.
    I unfortunately couldn’t make it since, I live where we are out numbered by sheep. :angry:

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Oneness

Its surprising to me that having hung out and trained with you your still calling me by my 2 year olds name LOL.

Do you not know who this is?

Look at the picture in my avatar buddy it’s Sean from Sherman Oaks NTC

oneness

LOL

Yeah, I just usually respond to the screen name so people know who the response is directed at.

I will use Sean from now on our stealing of threads.

hypnotic214

Thanks guys! I appreciate all of the feedback. I’ll let you guys know what I decide to go with and how it works out for me.thumbsup

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: