Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Staying in Krav Maga worthy shape without Krav Maga

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    lb

Hi All!
    So I’m a Level 2 student, but I’ve been on Krav Maga leave for six months now as I am currently in Israel until the end of May on a 9 month program. Unfortunately I havent been able to keep up Krav since I’ve been here and have not kept up the shape I had been in before. When I get back I plan on resuming, however only a month later will I be going to work at a sleepaway camp. So assuming I go everyday and get back into decent shape (I’m a small guy and it doesnt take much), without a punching bag, an instructor leading a class, or any real equipment, what exactly would one do to stay in equivalent shape? This could also apply to my current situation here in Israel. Of course, there’s jogging, crunches, push-ups, curls (with a backpack perhaps if dumbells are not available), but I feel like to be in shape for something like Krav is different from just being in shape in terms of muscles etc. I could be wrong but that’s just what I feel as of now. So my question is, and I’m sorry if it’s an ignorant one, btu what specifically can I do and a possible regimen to stay in decent shape while I’m at camp and coming to Krav once a week on days off?
    Thanks!
    Loren

mara-jade

Re: Staying in Krav Maga worthy shape without Krav Maga

Hi Loren!

Wow, you’re gonna be a busy beaver I see. You’ve listed activities you can do so you’re not totally out.

Can you take any kind of equipment with you? I ask because you might want to consider doing kettlebells. It’s Russian strength training that’s a blast to do. It used to be really hard to find them except online but I know Rebok now makes them – I’ve seen military bases exchanges carry them.

Here’s what I’m talking about
    http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/kettlebell-exercises.html

I know amazon carries kettlebell books and videos.

I wish you much success in your training:wav:

kmky

You’d probably find the Bas Rutten CD’s useful.

http://www.basrutten.tv/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=B&Product_Code=WCDVD&Category_Code=DV

garddawg

The military exchanges are carrying Kettlebells so that the men and women in uniform can use them to do CrossFit.

kmcat

The head instructor/owner at the KM school I attend fitness classes at likes to stress explosive (dynamic strength) movements which transfer right into the movements in fight & self defense classes. The other thing that he says you can’t do too much of is abdominal exercise. He recently has introduced this absolutely wicked series method to the ab work.

Jumping movements & exercises are good for quickness in the legs. If you can find one or acquire one a heavy punching bag is an overall “good thing” for keeping your arms fit. If you can find a place, I also like swimming. It is a good way of getting an all over workout in a short amount of time.

I do notice a yin-yang thing with endurance vs. strength exercise. It can be difficult to balance one vs. the other.

mara-jade

Thanks for the info garddog!

That’s how I got mine – friend was so kind to get them for methumbsup

Ok, what’s crossfit?

giant-killer

Maybe shadow boxing, improving footwork, going over KM techniques. You could do this alone, or maybe you could get another person interested to join you and do some light sparring. Or you could show that person some cool KM techniques and you both would get to practice.

elgoyo

quote LB:

When I get back I plan on resuming, however only a month later will I be going to work at a sleepaway camp.

Uh Oh. Sleepaway camp. Be careful ….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM5CjOy2sJk

garddawg

quote mara_jade:

Thanks for the info garddog!

That’s how I got mine – friend was so kind to get them for methumbsup

Ok, what’s crossfit?

What is CrossFit? Think about how you felt when you found Krav Maga, that instant when you said “This is IT!” “This is the answer to all the useless searching in martial arts I’ve done.”
    CrossFit is that for fitness.

Think of all the times you have had to listen to your friend tell you how their Tae Kwon Do class is prepping them for a street fight. That’s exactly how you feel after you have done Crossfit for awhile when people start telling you how fit their workouts make them.

Imagine if you could take the fun and aggression of an excellent Krav Maga class and have that in every day in your workout.

Krav Maga preps you for every evetuality in a fight, CrossFit preps you for whatever war, the fight or life throw at you.

There you go. That’s CrossFit.

vwr32

quote garddawg:

Think of all the times you have had to listen to your friend tell you how their Tae Kwon Do class is prepping them for a street fight. That’s exactly how you feel after you have done Crossfit for awhile when people start telling you how fit their workouts make them.

My wife and I started doing crossfit exercises this year. We go to http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html for exercise demos before putting together a routine for the day. I think the thing I like best is the variety. We lack some of the equipment for a few things (rings, giant tractor tires etc) but the difference is amazing in terms of recognized results. I haven’t done a “curl” in months lol.

It definitely makes you look at gyms and other workout routines differently. I find myself having to hold back telling the guy on the biceps machine there’s a better way.

Recently we had 14 inches of snow fall here. My wife and I shoveled her mom’s huge driveway… heavy, wet snow with crappy shovels that were too short to allow us to stand properly. The whole time we talked about how we’d be paying for it the next day in terms of lower back pain. Nadda. Neither one of us had even a hint of soreness. The next day was a regular workout for both. I know it’s not all that exciting of a testimonial, but it really surprised both of us how much of a difference this sort of exercise program made.

What can I say… I’m a believer.

garddawg

VWR32,
    My work here is done.

mara-jade

Thank ya much for the info garddawgthumbsup

I just started doing CrossFit about a month ago and can already feel a difference.

My workout today for an example consisted of 16 minutes of Tabata. If you’re not sure what that is, it consists of doing 20 seconds of an exercise all out with 10 seconds rest and doing this 8 times in a row without rest.

My coach had me do 4 exercises in a row including squats, medicine ball clean, kettlebell swings, & thrusters.

Let me tell you after 3 hours my legs are still fried but I’m loving every minute of it. :):

garddawg

Good for you hazordous. Gunner is a very good guy.
    guy and a good friend. I miss having him around.

kmcat

I’m going to have to ask our head instructor if he is using crossfit concepts. I recognize several of these crossfit stuff descriptions from the KM fitness classes that I do.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: