Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Studio’s Legitimacy

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    crimson-lord

Hello, I would like to ask everyone a few questions to see if the Krav studio in my area is legit.

First off it is in a walled-off corner of a Karate studio, the class has 4-6 students. The instructor was a Marine and says he has been doing Krav Maga for 20 years, and says he teaches old school Krav Maga. The first 5 to 10 minutes were spent warming up, then we got into practicing kicks and punches, followed by learning how to disarm a knife in an attack. I got winded in the first 15 minutes haha. He emphasized avoiding confrontation as much as possible but if that’s not possible than to not hold back.

So far I like it but I don’t know if it reaches Krav standards because I’m not proficient in Krav Maga, any feedback would be great.

don

Re: Studio’s Legitimacy

quote Crimson Lord:

Hello, I would like to ask everyone a few questions to see if the Krav studio in my area is legit.

First off it is in a walled-off corner of a Karate studio, the class has 4-6 students. The instructor was a Marine and says he has been doing Krav Maga for 20 years, and says he teaches old school Krav Maga. The first 5 to 10 minutes were spent warming up, then we got into practicing kicks and punches, followed by learning how to disarm a knife in an attack. I got winded in the first 15 minutes haha. He emphasized avoiding confrontation as much as possible but if that’s not possible than to not hold back.

So far I like it but I don’t know if it reaches Krav standards because I’m not proficient in Krav Maga, any feedback would be great.

No workable information in your post. If someone were to ask you a similar question, what basic information would you need to even consider answering?

kmyoshi

I agree with Don about needing a lot more information. However, with what is presented:

The warm up and practicing punch/kick sounds about right. Are the classes by levels or is it just a “Krav Maga” class where it’s KM of any/all level(s)? I didn’t learn knife techniques until at least level 2. Having said that, it’s not that you can’t learn the knife techniques early on, but there are some fundamentals and basics you should learn and get down correctly before moving onto weapons defense. For example, 360 defense and inside defense to name a couple. The reason why there’s such a tiring warm up is because you need to train to do the techniques when you’re tired/exhausted.

What your instructor is saying regarding avoiding confrontation is correct. The next step would be de-escalation which is something that is not taught as often as it should. Getting physical would be something that is “last resort” but this doesn’t mean you have to wait for them to attack you. If you feel all hell is about to break loose, you should attack first and attack HARD and then get the hell out. You should be going hard at every training session because the way you train in class is how you’ll fight out in the streets when s#t hits the fan and you’re tired, being punched, kicked, bruised… etc. etc..

crimson-lord

Yes it has a level system and as far as going hard that was actually a plus for me I don’t want to be caught off guard on the street. Sorry for the lack of information I don’t know exactly what to list off to show a studio is alright.

kmyoshi

How many classes have you attended at this location and with this instructor? Is he helpful when questions are asked regarding technique and puts it into context of why you are doing a certain technique/move as opposed to another or does he brush it off and just sticks to the curriculum written in a book? Does he pressure test (drill) the techniques? These are only a couple of examples of what to look for.

don

quote Crimson Lord:

Yes it has a level system and as far as going hard that was actually a plus for me I don’t want to be caught off guard on the street. Sorry for the lack of information I don’t know exactly what to list off to show a studio is alright.

Really? Then, I think maybe you’ve got bigger problems than figuring out if the SD classes you’re taking are “legit”.

crimson-lord

I’ve only attended one class and he gave plenty of attention to each student. He showed us how and why a technique works. He did put a good amount of pressure on the students as well. I think I’ll stick with it a little longer to figure things out, but thanks for the feedback.

bear34

quote Crimson Lord:

I’ve only attended one class and he gave plenty of attention to each student. He showed us how and why a technique works. He did put a good amount of pressure on the students as well. I think I’ll stick with it a little longer to figure things out, but thanks for the feedback.

Wow, I would love to go there. My school changed so much that I quit going.

Why don’t you just state the name of your studio, the instructor, the location, the website, etc. Without actually experiencing the training, most people here will be able to get a spider sense of how legit the training is based on those factors. If you’re happy, all good. But if you want a real answer to your question, this is type of information you probably need to provide.

don

quote Metta World Krav Maga:

Why don’t you just state the name of your studio, the instructor, the location, the website, etc. Without actually experiencing the training, most people here will be able to get a spider sense of how legit the training is based on those factors. If you’re happy, all good. But if you want a real answer to your question, this is type of information you probably need to provide.

Captain Obvious Sir, thank you for clarifying things for Major Oversight! :D:

crimson-lord

http://coronakravmaga.blogspot.ca/ the instructor’s name is Neftali Rivera. There is more information about him at the bottom of the page. Guess I should have thought of that in the first place…

tech94

Well, according to that page he is a certified instructor under KMAA, which, as I understand it, was a precursor to what became Krav Maga worldwide. In the first picture top right the banner is the KMW official training center banner. Unless he is no longer affiliated I’d lean towards him being legit. Even if no longer affiliated he earned that instructor certification the hard way not on YouTube

King Crimson, other people here would know more than me, but seems good! Just small and with kind of a janky website. But it’s not about towel service and websites and where you train, it’s about good training from people who’ve had good training. So train hard, train smart, have fun, be safe, don’t get hurt. And don’t be a stranger on these message boards. Welcome!

Also, a word about the knife defense in Level 1 thing. In a school that small, esp if they have for lack of a better word gone rogue, without deviating too much from what’s generally accepted as what students need to be learning in Level 1, the instructor’s basically gonna do what they feel is best for the class they’re teaching (which I’m all about btw). I’ve seen knife and gun in Level 1 and I’ve seen Level 1 material in Level 4. It’s important that this isn’t random, that the instructor knows their students and their needs, even if they just met that day.

PS — Don, I’m always willing to pose the tough questions. thumbsup

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: