Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Personal Gear Discussion Stuff that works, stuff that breaks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    carl

Been doing Krav 3 times a week for 6 months now. My experience of the kit I bought:

Stuff that works phenomenally well:

Topten Superfight 3000 16oz sparring gloves
    link
    Great wrist support, very high quality build, amazing padding. You can hit people without worrying that you’ll hurt them, unlike some of the $5 gloves that are flying in my direction!

Shock Doctor groin guard
    link
    I’ve taken full force knees straight at my tackle and hard groin kicks from behind, and this absorbed the impacts without any problem. Very comfortable cup, easily washable strap. Essential.

Opro pro mouthguard
    link
    Much better than any boil and bite mouthguard I’ve tried, this thing grips your teeth and fills your mouth with high quality material that absorbs shock very well. The Opro team do a great job custom fitting it to your mouth, so it’s comfortable and effective.

Bytomic hand wraps
    link
    Tough, not too stretchy, nice and long. Better than the ProBox wraps I’ve used, and much better than the standard non-stretchy fabric ones.

Stuff that breaks soon after purchase:

Venum Kontact hand wraps
    link
    Wrist support is very poor, and the stitching came apart after a few months, leaving the gel and plastic to poke out. For the 1 minute it saves you relative to putting on proper wraps it’s not worth it. Plus these are three times the price of the bytomic wraps.

Hope that’s of some help – would be great to hear your thoughts on the above products

celtickm

Re: Stuff that works, stuff that breaks

Thanks

danielos

Also we can recommend the Shockdoctor mouthguards and Groin guards, there’s no better protection.

kmyoshi

I can vouch for shock doctor jock straps as well… been kicked in the groin a few times during sparring and didn’t feel any pain.

splatcat

WOW – sounds like the Shock Doctor groin protection just went to the top of my ‘buy SOON!’ list… The cup I have now is adequate, but it’s pretty uncomfortable after about two hours or so – and with two days of Winter Camp on my immediate horizon, I think I’m REALLY going to want something better!

My contribution to this conversation is to recommend my Shihan MMA gloves – been using them for the whole 2-1/2 years I’ve been training, & they’ve held up beautifully!! I’ve found that these days I can’t do straight punches bare-handed any more, my first two knuckles get stiff & swollen, & my hands lose a noticeable bit of function – for a few days! These allow me to train one day, & get things done during the days that follow.

I’ve looked for a link to them, but didn’t find them on Amazon. Then I thought that I must’ve gotten them from Piranha Gear (great people there, BTW), but I didn’t see them there either… :dunno: Best I can do at this point is to provide a link to the gloves I found on the Piranha Gear site & state that they look virtually identical to these…

http://www.piranhagear.com/mma-pro-gloves.html

I can vouch for the Shock Doctor compression shorts with groin protection. I wear them to every class. To my knowledge, I haven’t been kicked hard but I’ve been “tapped” by a foot or two and wouldn’t want to have felt the pain.:Unsure:

catapult

The latest hot setup in MMA is the Diamond cup and shorts with a built-in jock. Joe Rogan claims low-blow timeouts would be a thing of the past if everyone wore one. It looks like they took the best ideas from the Nutty Buddy and the Jaco and improved on them. It’s expensive but what are the boys worth?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fSMDyODGIs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofbnk8fAiK4
    http://www.mmawarehouse.com/Diamond-MMA-Compression-Jock-and-Cup/dia-1001,default,pd.html?start=1&q=diamond

tzrider

quote catapult:

The latest hot setup in MMA is the Diamond cup and shorts with a built-in jock. Joe Rogan claims low-blow timeouts would be a thing of the past if everyone wore one. It looks like they took the best ideas from the Nutty Buddy and the Jaco and improved on them.

Here’s hoping the plastic isn’t as hard (and brittle) as that of the Nutty Buddy:

If the Diamond has more give, the above might not be an issue. I replaced the broken Nutty Buddy with a Shock Doctor Titan steel cup (https://www.shockdoctor.com/titan-alloy-flex-cup) and have been happy with it so far. The Nutty Buddy did allow a little more freedom of movement, but steel won’t shatter.

timpane

My contribution to this conversation is to recommend my Shihan MMA gloves – been using them for the whole 2-1/2 years I’ve been training, & they’ve held up beautifully!! I’ve found that these days I can’t do straight punches bare-handed any more, my first two knuckles get stiff & swollen, & my hands lose a noticeable bit of function – for a few days! These allow me to train one day, & get things done during the days that follow.:abx:

simeon

Very helpful Carl, I’m going to get myself some superfight 3000 gloves. I also have the Venum Kontact hand wraps and they have actually last me a while.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: