Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Success stories – ever had to use krav?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    ziggy

Hi all,

Personally I’ve never had to use krav maga or any of my other training in a real life situation. But I’m sure that’s not the case for everyone. Anyone have any stories about using krav in a serious situation?

geary

Re: Success stories – ever had to use krav?

Now this may be standard protocol for instructors when they are trying to sell you a membership but in my case, one of my instructors told me a good hook, line and sinker story a couple weeks back. One of our level two students (male) was walking with a buddy in Pontiac Michigan when 4 or 5 thugs jumped them. Our student used all of his basic (level one) defense techniques including but not limited to, kick to the groin, choke from the front defense, and groin/mid-section knees to fend of the attackers. They managed to get him to the ground at one point where he used his hip toss and kick away techniques to stand up and by the time he recovered he realized his friend had been long gone running for a while so he decided it was a prime time to retreat as well.

He was hospitalized for stitches from a bottle attack and some minor scrapes and bruises but most importantly, he escaped with his life and his safety. He was able to bang up a couple or more of the attackers using his Krav Maga techniques. Enough said for me…..

Signed up and loving every minute of it.

udjat

I know these are not going to be the stories you are looking for but they are the truth.

My first real life use of Krav was when my wife tried to drag me into the Teddy Bear Warehouse. This is not a place that I enjoy. One perfectly executed wrist release… I get to keep walking and no horror of the Teddy Bear Warehouse for me! Jen is standing there going “Hey!”… she started taking Krav about 2 weeks later.

The next time I got to use it was during Christmas at my parents house. My dearest mother was the eldest daughter of 9 children. So she can be a bit physical when you get sarcastic or funny with her. Just a bop to the stomach or arm. I dont even remember what I said, but she tried to poke me in the stomach and I used an inside defense for a body shot without even thinking! The look on her face as I walked away was priceless!

So while I haven’t had to deal with 4 thugs ganging up on me or deal with a killer attack goose(great story BTW) at the bus terminal I have had a few uses for my Krav skills so farrofl2

-Eric

bjelder

Nope, and hope I never have to.

sunstar

Maybe an elbow or knee here in there on the N train in Brooklyn, lol. I’m still learning Krav though.

scholl34

I am a former Krav Maga Instructor in Philadelphia PA and I have used Krav Maga countless times in real life encounters to help myself or those around me from avoiding injury or death. I currently work in Law Enforcement where I have rarely had to use any Krav Maga techniques although I have incorporated many into our defensive tactics curriculum since I became my units defensive tactics instructor however prior to my career in Law Enforcement I worked in nightclubs for many years as security and I cant even begin to tell you how many times I have use specific techniques from Krav Maga to defend myself and others. I remember using the 360 defenses on several occasions, one of which where I learned after the attack that my attacker was wielding a knife and had I not used a 360 defense and simply attepted to block his strike I would most likely have been stabbed. I have also unfortunately been put in situations where I have had to use Krav Maga’s gun disarm techniques which I believe to be superior to any other self defense syetem’s i’ve ever seen. They are easy once perfected and come naturally under stress which is one of the most important things to me when learning self defense techniques. In addition to specific techniques I think one of the most important things Krav Maga ever taught me was to have a never quit attitude when it comes to defending against an attack. The mentality that Krav Maga teaches is in my opinion as important if not more important then any specific technique in the system. If anyone out there would like to know more please feel free to contact me at [email protected]. I rarely post on the forum and as I said I am a former instructor. Currently I do not teach civillians as the Philadelphia school has been closed for several years now. Stay safe everyone!

johnl-d11

Nope, and hopefully never will…

A newer student of ours had a good one while in Vegas.

Told us 2 guys came up to him asking for some money, he said no.. one guy then grabbed his shirt and at that moment, our student elbowed him in the face and kneed him in the groin/stomach. This attacker fell, then the other charged in and got a hammer fist square in the face, falling as well. Our student then got away..

kirsten

I think the best self-defense students get from KM is knowing that you can avoid many situations all together by thinking twice about where your at, the people your with, and becoming more aware of your surroundings. Then if it still happens (hey my friend was robbed at a bank by gunpoint in the day), you have the ability to defend yourself (he did gun to the front and KO’d the suspect). Yes, another happy ending!

But I also have a friend that was raped brutally and left for dead, she is now taking KM. I think the best thing she has gotten from KM was a sense of relief and empowerment that it will now never happen to her again. She is amazing!

kmcat

quote Kirsten:

I think the best self-defense students get from KM is knowing that you can avoid many situations all together by thinking twice about where your at, the people your with, and becoming more aware of your surroundings. …

I wonder if they way you look and carry yourself makes a difference as well.

There was a strange incident that happened to me last October that I did not think about until later.

I was on a weekend camping trip and stopped at an empty camping area to fix a late lunch on my back home. I saw a car pull in to the area a good distance across the parking lot and it looked like they were getting ready to fish but they they got back into the car and drove up into the exit of the site where I was parked. It was still probably 75 feet away from my mini-van. I was starting to get ready to leave any way and as they pulled up I was putting my things I had out up.

I kept a careful eye on this car because I realized I was totally blocked from pulling my mini-van out. I continued to get ready to leave, watching the car and the driver was just sitting in his car like he was trying to decide something, then the car pulls out and drives away.

Later on the drive home it occurred to me to wonder if something was “trying to happen”.

kirsten

I think it does 100%… a perp knows the “injured one in the herd”… the one they can cut away from the herd and victimize. They know it just as sure as I can spot a dirtbag in the mall.

silas

Absolutely, most crimanals/bullys look for a victim not a challenge. I’ve only been in Krav 6 months and havnt had to use it, but am taking the class because i was in a serious confrontation (detailed in the “Why Krav” thread) which i won but left me feeling unsure if it was luck or skill and i decided i wanted to make sure if it ever happens again (which i honestly hope it doesnt) that i will win because of skill with no room for doubt.

spartan0311

Always look at people not through them. I work in a Jail and these guys are the same on the streets. Look at everyone in the eye and always keep your head up and shoulders back, body language and eye contact can dissuade an attacker better than a hammer fist to the face. Don’t be a victim!

jesse

A friend of mine at Krav used to work as security at a college in Charlotte. A lot of the dorms would get pretty crazy and he had to respond to a student altercation. He got there before any of the other security and was starting to calm them down when one of them got him in a headlock from the side. He’d trained the defense only a few times at that point, but he immediately went right into it and put the guy down. Everyone else backed off and some more security showed up right then so it all worked out well.

scholl34

How you carry yourself absolutely has an impact on potential attackers and their decision process for choosing potential targets. If you would like to learn more read books by Geoff Thompson who is a former bouncer in the UK who writes about situational awareness and target hardening. Making yourself a harder target for a potential attacker is often times half the battle or more right there!

stevetuna

Ditto on the Geoff Thompson recommendation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: