Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    carpecanis

See the article below. Can’t say I’d ever expect to defend against a sword, but apparently such attacks do occur.

My first instinct would be to use a stick defense, but all the one’s I’ve learned so far (in L2) are assuming the attacker is using a one handed swing. I’m guessing most sword wielding attackers would use a two handed hold. Would the stick defenses still work or is there something else?

Of course if I were facing someone with a sword, and I had the option, I’d use the traditional Run-fu defense.

—————————–
    Ontario woman goes on rampage with samurai sword
    The Canadian Press

December 3, 2007 at 6:41 PM EST

MILTON, Ont. — A 21-year-old woman from Milton, Ont., is facing several charges after she allegedly used a samurai sword to attack her boyfriend, smash windows at a nearby gas station, hack at a car and wound an off-duty firefighter.

Halton regional police said the rampage started at about 8:45 p.m. Sunday, when a woman who was arguing with her 26-year-old boyfriend grabbed a samurai sword he had on display in his apartment and sliced him on the shoulder, arm and side of the head.

The man’s brother, who was also in the apartment, ordered the woman to leave, and she complied. But that apparently did little to quell her fury.

Still wielding the sword, the woman then went to a gas station across the street and confronted a man — an off-duty firefighter — who was filling up his vehicle.

“The Milton firefighter pleaded with the female to drop the weapon,” Detective-Sergeant Murray Drinkwalter said Monday. “At that point she refused and continued to approach the firefighter.”

The part-time firefighter, Steven Reynolds, 42, ran inside the gas station and warned the two male clerks, aged 19 and 28, who set the automatic door locks. But that did little to deter the woman.

“The female then smashed out the windows to the doors with the samurai sword, then attacked a vehicle that was in the parking lot, causing considerable damage to the vehicle,” Det.-Sgt. Drinkwalter said.

“She then entered the gas station through the broken window and approached the two attendants who were behind the counter.”

Police say they believe the woman then raised the sword over her head. Mr. Reynolds quickly grabbed her from behind, but the woman then allegedly swung around and sliced him in the arm, causing a serious injury.

But Mr. Reynolds, with the help of the two clerks, still managed to disarm their assailant and restrain her until police arrived.

Det.-Sgt. Drinkwalter praised the bravery of the three men, in particular the firefighter.

“I, certainly, down the road will be recommending him for some citation,” he said.

Mr. Reynolds was taken to a Hamilton hospital to be treated for his wound, which was considered non-life-threatening. He had emergency surgery Sunday night and was still recovering Monday.

The woman’s boyfriend was treated at a hospital in Milton for three wounds, which needed stitches.

The woman was taken to a hospital in Oakville, Ont., to be treated for her injuries.

Richele MacDonald of Milton, Ont., has been charged with two counts each of assault with a weapon, aggravated assault and mischief to property, and one count of possession of a weapon dangerous to the public peace. She has been remanded in custody and has a bail hearing on Wednesday morning in Milton.

kpalena

Re: Sword Defense?

hmm….I think your best defence would be the two leged road runner defence… A sword is like both the knife and the stick. Unless you have a way to deflect the blade, like with another weapon…you had better be good at dodging and attacking.

I would say you have two options and they rhyme….

1. Run
    2. Gun

giant-killer

If you can’t pick up something from the environment to keep her away and/or hurt her, you could use stick defense, but once you made the redirection, you could use your defending arm to push the attacker’s arm to the side (almost as in a 360 block, but make the sliding defense first, then turn your arm and push sideways). That will keep the blade further from your body.

We worked on ax defense the other day, as well as third party stick and used this type of modified stick defense. I assume this would work against a sword, too.

jjk

I haven’t thought about this much but in terms of sword v. knife, you might have a slight advantage because a sword is larger and unwieldy to the vast majority of people. If they don’t have training, their moves will probably be easier to read (compared to a knife) and it will also take them longer to recover.

clfmak

We’ve tried stuff like this with weapon sparring when the odd shinai finds its way into the mix and someone loses a weapon. If someone has a sword, wants to cut you up, and has some idea what they’re doing, you’re pretty screwed if you don’t have some kind of weapon of your own.

carpecanis

Given the chance, I’d run away as fast as I could thud. (My sprint is what most people consider a light jog.) However, if some crazy wackadoo cornered me in a gas station I wouldn’t have much of a choice. Unfortunately, my state doesn’t trust its law abiding citizens w/ concealed firearms, so that option is out.

All the defenses I’ve learned so far involved an attacker swinging their weapon with one hand. However, I’d envision that an attacker with a rather long weapon: sword, baseball bat, etc., would be swinging with both hands. I don’t think my current defensive moves would work well against that. I’ll have to dig up the official KM book and see if there’s anything in the higher levels.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Not a sword but I can see a machete scenario versus an angry gardener

carpecanis

Unfortunately, MS-13 is in the Baltimore area, so a machette attacks are within the realm of possibilities.

giant-killer

Even if it’s a two-handed attack, you could still do the regular KM stick defense to either the right or the left, just make sure to push the attacker’s arm away from your body, so the sword won’t slice along your ribs or leg.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: