Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Syllabus and curriculums, different organisations

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

I got the idea to check out the difference between the syllabus/curriculums among the (big) krav maga org`s.

I have found some but I would like to get more.

In particular I look for the curriculum of the graduate levels of IKMF. Anyone with a link? You may PM if you wanna keep it down.

Apart from that one – KMWW´s syllabus is wanted for review.

I am not really sure how all org´s view on this is, if it may be meant to be “secret”. If so, I respect that. I just wanna see what is out there from a “customers” point of view.

kmyoshi

Re: Syllabus and curriculums, different organisations

At KMW you’re given the curriculum in the membership handbook. The curriculum is also laid out in the book “Complete Krav Maga,” written by Darren Levine and John Whitman. In the book it is broken down in step-by-step form. I’m sure that the curriculum is not “secret” as I believe the other major Krav Maga orgs also have their own books published. It is more or less just paying for the information through purchasing the book. However I am also curious for the other organization’s curriculum to see how it differs.

bear34

quote Southofheaven:

I got the idea to check out the difference between the syllabus/curriculums among the (big) krav maga org`s.

I have found some but I would like to get more.

In particular I look for the curriculum of the graduate levels of IKMF. Anyone with a link? You may PM if you wanna keep it down.

Apart from that one – KMWW´s syllabus is wanted for review.

I am not really sure how all org´s view on this is, if it may be meant to be “secret”. If so, I respect that. I just wanna see what is out there from a “customers” point of view.

I train with IKMF and they don’t post their G level curriculum to my knowledge. I don’t believe they will even sell you their G level DVDs until you complete P5.

bear34

From what I have seen many more “advanced” KMW techniques are much earlier in the IKMF.

kmyoshi

Hey Bear,

How long does it take one to go from P1 to P2, etc.? Your grading system is P1-P5, than G1-G5, than E1-E5 correct? I was just wondering how long it takes to go from level to level seeing as it has more “stepping stones” so to speak than just a Judo belt system.

Since you are at IKMF, are the techniques the same/similar?

bear34

quote KMyoshi:

Hey Bear,

How long does it take one to go from P1 to P2, etc.? Your grading system is P1-P5, than G1-G5, than E1-E5 correct? I was just wondering how long it takes to go from level to level seeing as it has more “stepping stones” so to speak than just a Judo belt system.

Since you are at IKMF, are the techniques the same/similar?

From what I have seen(KMW books and the occasional KMW visitor), much is very similar. I found more emphasis on getting away from the situation with the IKMF. When we have had visitors who trained primarily with KMW, it seems like there is more of an emphasis on making it a fight. This might just be a mis-perception, but it seems more MMA than self-defense.

As far as levels go. About three months per level.

KMW – is that Krav Maga Worldwide org? So many orgs to keep track of these days. Anyway, I too get the impression from what little I know/seen/heared that some styles or organisations seem to focus more on actuall fighting rather than self defense. Which is kinda strange, at least as long as they still call it krav maga. In my opinion that is… Obviously not everyone would agree.

kmyoshi

Hm that’s interesting. When you mean getting away from the situation do you mean de-escalating the confrontation/situation? From what I’ve been learning so far at KMW, it is even encouraged to make preemptive strikes if you feel threatened physically or if you feel you have no other choice. Unfortunately we’re not taught many methods of de-escalating a conflict verbally.

Yes, KMW = Krav Maga Worldwide

Well, I meant getting away asap from the threat at hand; if possible before it gets to physical ends, but if it does – sure as hell do not make it into a mma-match.
    I am quite a beginner at KM(G), so I am not able to review how good our training in de-escalating is at this point. Pre-emptive attacks I do not know if we focus much on either, but I have heared that KMG (and IKMF too) generally tend to be “softer” with this than some other KM styles. Anyone else that knows better might wanna correct me here, or fill in?

bear34

quote Southofheaven:

Well, I meant getting away asap from the threat at hand; if possible before it gets to physical ends, but if it does – sure as hell do not make it into a mma-match.
    I am quite a beginner at KM(G), so I am not able to review how good our training in de-escalating is at this point. Pre-emptive attacks I do not know if we focus much on either, but I have heared that KMG (and IKMF too) generally tend to be “softer” with this than some other KM styles. Anyone else that knows better might wanna correct me here, or fill in?

IMO, IKMF and KMG are two sides of the same coin. A political difference is all that separates the two. Soft techniques are taught because not every adversary needs to be beaten into the ground. Are “soft techniques” taught in KMW or IKMA?

kmyoshi

We are taught “soft techniques” in KMW such as wrist releases and creating distance between you and the potential attacker while trying to de-escalate the situation (if there even is one). When you guys say “MMA match,” do you mean treating it as if there were “rounds” or seeing it as a match? We are trained/taught that if we are in danger to strike as fast and as aggressively as possible, assess the environment for any other danger and get out as soon as possible to call for police/help. In fact, we’re encouraged to be as loud as possible if under attack so you can draw attention to yourself and the situation that is unfolding to bystanders.

I do not have first hand knowledge of KMG or IKMF’s curriculum but since Eyal Yanilov at one point ran IKMF, I’d assume that there wouldn’t be much change in the curriculum he now teaches under KMG. This is only my opinion however…

By the way, what soft techniques does IKMF or KMG teach you?

lions2011

So many Krav organizations it is impossible to know who from what.
    KRAV worldwide seems to be by far the biggest in the USA.
    I noticed some of the moves they teach in class are different than the Red and white book. I assume this means they are always updating things well in Krav Worldwide.

I assume all Krav organizations are 90 percent similar.

quote KMyoshi:

We are taught “soft techniques” in KMW such as wrist releases and creating distance between you and the potential attacker while trying to de-escalate the situation (if there even is one). When you guys say “MMA match,” do you mean treating it as if there were “rounds” or seeing it as a match? We are trained/taught that if we are in danger to strike as fast and as aggressively as possible, assess the environment for any other danger and get out as soon as possible to call for police/help. In fact, we’re encouraged to be as loud as possible if under attack so you can draw attention to yourself and the situation that is unfolding to bystanders.

I do not have first hand knowledge of KMG or IKMF’s curriculum but since Eyal Yanilov at one point ran IKMF, I’d assume that there wouldn’t be much change in the curriculum he now teaches under KMG. This is only my opinion however…

By the way, what soft techniques does IKMF or KMG teach you?

I know that Eyal has changed some; for example the P1 curriculum has changed focus to mostly(only?) front attacks, if I remeber correct. Sure a lot more is changed too, but perhaps not so much technique-wise, rather curriculum-wise. Someone else here gotta know this better?

There have been changes in techniques as well. Usually extra variations or modifications to get better bodydefense etc etc. One thing I’m very happy about is the increasing focuss on prevention and de-escalation of violence.

Usually I agree with the changes made.
    That said,I do not think it’s the small variations in a technique that is going to save your life. Personally I have always paid a lot of attention on the fighting skills and stress/ determination drills.
    I don’t think as a student you should worry too much about the politics of federations.
    Make sure your instructors had valid training and is still training . (all the well known federations have instructor certification programs) Don’t end up in a club where the instructors training is just youtube.

Great answer! I just asked you in another thread that kind of crosses over on this one – looking forward to your reply on that, either one of the threads will do I guess : )

BTW – I too think the stress-, aggressivity-, determination-drills are far more important than just the techniques themselves.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: