Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Systema Russian Self Defense?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    randy

Has anybod heard of Systema. Its the Russian Special Forces Martial Art. From the few videos I have seen on youtube, it kind of looks like empty had Kali Esctrima, or Japanese
    Jujutsu. I have training in krav for about 3 years and love it, I’m just currious.

Randy

Re: Systema Russian Self Defense?

I’ve been to a few seminars… my mom taught me that if I don’t have anything nice to say I shouldn’t say anything at all. So…….

kirsten

I do not have any personal experiance with them but I know several KM instructors here have trained in it and hosted seminars with them. I am sure they can offer more insight for you.

When I’m evaluating a fighting system, I always want to see how it performs against a fully resisting adversary (or two) attacking any which way they want. I’m not interested in how well it performs when performed by a “master” against a predefined and half hearted attack.

My only exposure to Systema has been to clips on Youtube in the demo mode I described above.

Another way I ask this question, is what elements of a system have found their way into MMA? I’m a NOOB and don’t have the situational awareness yet to know what the feeling here is towards MMA. I see it as a fairly good testing ground for systems. Given the money and fame on the line, anything that works is going to get pulled in. Many of the foundations of Krav (Muay Thai, BJJ etc. have). I don’t see any Systema appearing there.

samj

I have some experience with Systema. If you have any familiarity with taiqi,bagua, xing yi, taijutsu, aiki-jutsu, aikido then elements of Systema will be appreciable. However, those would be rather simplistic comparisons. Systema focuses very heavily on natural and non-contrived movement. The body is very loose and flexible, allowing strikes and grappling to flow freely and unrestricted. There is no psychologically ‘aggressive mode’ which may appear counter-intuitive to RBSD practitioners who have experience of proper street violence. This is not to suggest this Russian fighting method is somewhere ‘in the clouds’. Far from it, its psychological, physiological and biomechanical appreciation of violence in very in-depth and its methods brutally efficient. It is a military combative through and through including tactical shooting. I certainly know of Eastern European no-nonsense submission fighters who have trained in Systema alongside Sambo. You might want to look up Val Riazanov. Having trained with Russians, Poles and Serbians – I can tell you that many have a healthy respect for Systema. The Slavic people don’t mess around when it comes to fighting, I can assure you. Indeed, I seem to remember UFC fighter Oleg Taktarov did a joint DVD with Vladmir Vasiliev who heads Systema in Toronto.

dugfoot

I have done a little training in Systema and I like it. I see some real advantages to it, but also see some disadvantages.
    Systema can be very effective for someone who can spend the time, and I mean alot of it, training and practicing. I know that this is key with mastering anything but it is especially so with Systema. You must learn to relax your entire body completely and all the time while constantly moving. As we all know, both of these are very difficult under stress and takes hundreds of hours of practice to do so.
    Some friends of mine in another part of the country that I have a great deal of respect for have trained extensively in Systema with Vladimir Vasiliev and his group out of Toronto. They swear by him and what his group teaches.
    I concur with a previous post that mentions Oleg Taktarov. He’s a proven warrior. If I remember correctly, Fedor Emilienko trained primarily in Systema prior to his mma career. Their abilty to dish out and absorb punishment is legendary and this is a hallmark of Systema. I know that being succesful in mma has many components but their roots in Systema speaks volumes to me.
    Like Krav Maga, Systema has been proven and refined on many battlefields.

ryan

Fedor and Oleg both have backgrounds in sambo, not systema. In fact, I remember an interview with Fedor in which he was asked about systema, and he replied either that he didn’t know what it was or that he didn’t understand the question. Regardless, if there is info out there about these guys (particularly Fedor) training in systema, I’d like to see it.

I think the vids Oleg did were a series with Vlad, but Oleg did sambo and Vlad did systema. Also, I always hear about how good Vlad and the other lead guys are, but the practioners that I have seen don’t seem able to do the things those guys can do.

samj

You are correct about Oleg Taktarov not practising Systema. I mentioned him because the collaborative video was a passive endorsement of Vladmir. I have no idea about Fedor but his punching method is certainly reminiscent of Russian fistfighting. Like any combative, there are good and bad practitioners. From what I have seen, I rate Vasiliev, Ryabko and Kadochnikov extremely highly. My understanding is that Systema was a spin-off from combat sambo from about the 1930’s in Soviet Russia but its roots probably go back much further into Russian folk fighting methods. Perhaps with some influence from Cossack sword play.

clfmak

I used to go to a martial arts/meditation group at SDSU a few years ago. The guy that ran it was an old Soviet guy with a very extensive martial arts background (judo, aikido, karate, tai chi, systema). We did some systema drills that were really interesting. Sometimes we would “spar” at a slow speed. The advantage was that you could work techniques you normally couldn’t (attacking the eyes, groin, throat, kidneys). You can explore a lot of possibilities when you slow things down. Having said that, its not a substitute for proper sparring and contact. The thing I really liked wasn’t that it was some battle ready russian fighting system- it was that it was really fun for me.

samj

It really depends who is teaching. Systema definitely has contact albeit controlled contact. Sparring is certainly done but more of a free-for-all melee kind of sparring than the sports variety. There is literally an unending list of drills. It looks at self-protection as problem solving but is less prescriptive and more principle orientated than some other methods.

joeyrico31

thumbsupHey everybody I am new to this Forum and would like to say HI. I am A level 2 krav Maga Student going to Level 3 in April of this year. I train in Wyandotte MI @ The Fighting Fit in Wyandotte MICHIGAN> My instructor is Barry Bordman and I have to say its the most intense training I have ever had. I was an operator in the Navy for team 1 out in California and have to say this training reminds me of BUDS.:Deadhorse: I will not run, I will fight, I will Scratch, Bite, I will not whine. I will train and SHUT UP!!!!
    Thanks, KRAV MAGA IS THE SHI>>>>>!!!!TTTTT Joeyrico31

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: