Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    duke183

I need to take some major time off from Krav due to injury and finances. what do you think is the best way I can keep my skills up without belonging to a school?

Do the videos work?

gregg

Re: Taking time off

Hi mate

I’ve been in the same situation 2 years ago when I was a KM student and had to go one year in the Congo for a job (no KM school down there).

Now that I’m a KM instructor, I would advice you AT ALL to try to improve your skills with videos or books. The books and videos could help you to remember your instructor words when you try to MAINTAIN your skills. It’s actually the most important, maintain your skills, keep fit and maybe try to get some skills from an instructor from an other similar system.

What I mean by that? In the Congo for instance, I was training a bit KM with a partner (not learning, training ;-)) but had also 20 hours a week of boxing ’cause it’s a very developped sport there.

So try to find something working with your injury that helps you to keep fit and maybe to improve you punching or you kicking or wrestling or watherver.

Hope this helps

edgedweapons

quote Gregg:

Hi mate

I’ve been in the same situation 2 years ago when I was a KM student and had to go one year in the Congo for a job (no KM school down there).

Now that I’m a KM instructor, I would advice you AT ALL to try to improve your skills with videos or books. The books and videos could help you to remember your instructor words when you try to MAINTAIN your skills. It’s actually the most important, maintain your skills, keep fit and maybe try to get some skills from an instructor from an other similar system.

What I mean by that? In the Congo for instance, I was training a bit KM with a partner (not learning, training ;-)) but had also 20 hours a week of boxing ’cause it’s a very developped sport there.

So try to find something working with your injury that helps you to keep fit and maybe to improve you punching or you kicking or wrestling or watherver.

Hope this helps

Awesome suggestion. i have an iPod filled with videos and its awesome for travel. i also have a portable ebook reader for travel as well.

both are must haves when i travel. light carry but can store HUGE amounts of information.

Great advice from Gregg,

Seems wise to keep one’s fitness & skill levels up,

Shadow boxing / Shadow Krav…egL rehearsing the moves on your own, maybe in front of a mirror to analyse..

Try and find a training buddy..

Something.. anything will be better than nothing.

If there’s injury involved maybe lower impact fitness could be good, walking, yoga etc.

Boxing / Kickboxing especially has a crossover element with KM & the spartan fitness regimes with either are excellent,
    cheap & easy to follow on one’s own..

On another note – 1 year in the Congo? Wow, not exactly the most stable place on Earth, that must have been interesting to say the least.. (!)..

gregg

quote Chocolate Soldier:

On another note – 1 year in the Congo? Wow, not exactly the most stable place on Earth, that must have been interesting to say the least.. (!)..

Interesting, exactly 😉 Lot of gu….. I mean “fun”! :d:d:d

By the way, what’s the spartan regime?

‘Spartan’ in relation to training means very simple, inexpensive & basic in terms of equipment & other requirements.

gregg

Something like hammering a tractor tire for 2 minutes then crossing a fast stream river? :p Sounds fun

Yup, that kind of stuff.. jump rope, sit ups, push ups, jogging, medicine ball, hauling around logs etc

Btw – the Congo must have been pretty crazy, real ‘heart of darkness’ stuff… apparently the ongoing war which began in 1998 is the World’s deadliest since WWII – 5.4 million dead. Horrific.

gregg

Yeah true. But exepted from you and a very few blokes, nobody knows it really. There a constant conflict in the Easter country for long time. Most people don’t know and don’t care, “just black people shooting at each other, kind of local national sport”

I love spartan training so :p
    I never use any machine for muscle reinforcement. I also like the Crossfit mentallity and drills.

unstpabl1

Keep it simple. Practice what you know. Keep your fitness up. Invent your own drills. http://www.rosstraining.com is a terrific resource. His books are great and not expensive. His blog shows how to homemake equipment. He train pro boxers

Usually you can work around an injury to some degree. Understanding and letting go of your ego to train intelligently is the hard part. At least from my expirience:OhMy: Even walking is better than nothing…feet hurt, can’t walk focus on flexibility.

If its finacial, Judo is easy to find and very inexpensive, even in L.A. its about $25 a month

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: