Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Targeting Knee vs. Quad in Roundkick

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jjbklb

Assuming part of your response during an altercation includes a roundkick to the assailants leg;& that your flexibility limits the target to below his waist.

Which would give you the ‘best return’ as far as immediate restriction to the attackers mobility;a roundkick to the side of the knee joint…or one to the lower outside of the quad?

Would a hastily launched roundkick to the outside of the knee typically be strong enough to damage the side knee ligaments; or would a ‘charliehorse’ from landing the kick to the lower outside of the quad bring stronger more immediate effects?

emil

Re: Targeting Knee vs. Quad in Roundkick

quote jjbklb:

Would a hastily launched roundkick to the outside of the knee typically be strong enough to damage the side knee ligaments; or would a ‘charliehorse’ from landing the kick to the lower outside of the quad bring stronger more immediate effects?

yes it can be strong enough to damage ligaments, if you are able to target that well under adrenalin, in a quickly changing moving enviroment.

kior

One combo I really like is a kick round kick to the knee, pushing it inwards and then quickly pull your leg back and follow with a side/stomp kick pushing the knee even further. It would probably be quite hard to pull off under extreme stress but I think it’s potentially very damaging, I accidentally injured a training partner quite badly with this once using it as a follow up to a scooping defence against a low straight punch.

pugnax88

I would say a kick to the knee would be more damaging. If you hit the side of the knee, you stand a chance of tearing or breaking something, whereas if you hit them in the upper leg for the “charlie horse” effect, thats more of an annoyance than soemthing that would take you completely out. Not saying it wouldn’t work, but I think the probability of lasting damage is higher with the knee.

ryan

The truth is, virtually everyone kicks hard, and getting kicked hurts…under stress, these few inches are going to be hard to discern. That said, kicking TO the “inside” or “outside” of the knee is, in my opinion, not ideal. Feel that area; it’s heavy bone. However, if you kick just above that area, you can still vex the joint without kicking heavy bone. With regards to kicking mid-thigh (again, “inside” or “outside”), think about it like trying to break a stick with your hands…you’d likely hold it on the ends. Just some thoughts.

gregg

I think a little bit more like Ryan. Even on the ring your low kicks won’t be as accurate as they are on training, try to imagine what kind of messy work it’ll be in a street brawl. What if you end up on the knee cap and damage your own shinbone?

What I teach to my student is always go for the thigh with their back leg low kick (outside) and go either for the knee or thigh with their front leg’s (inside) ’cause the knee cap is kindah softer on the inside than on the outise if you see what I mean.

In addition a front leg low kick to the inside knee can easily unbalance an opponent setting him up for the explosive following right cross, BOO-YAH!

pugnax88

I like the sound of that little combo, Gregg. Might have to try that out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: