Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    leftie79

Does anyone watch this new reality show?

atakrav

I have seen it, but quickly lost interest. I like the other show however Ultimate Fighter on Spike Tv. http://www.spiketv.com they are having another season.

anonymous

I’ve seen \”The Contender\”. I think it’s okay. Much better than \”The Next Big Champ\”. They have some good locations and I kind of like it how they go into detail when they are showing the fight at the end of the show. There are always celebrities in the audience (as there would be in a real fight), but you only see them very briefly (as would happen during the broadcast of a real fight). So they don’t give in to temptation to show or even interview the celebrities for longer periods of time (since after all they have probably paid them good money to show up), but they try to stay authentic. That’s probably a weird little thing to notice about the show…. 😆

atakrav

What the contender does is thier fights is like slow it down for a brief second and they throw clips of slow motions punches and stuff, I just like to see the whole fight how it is. The Ultimate Fighter just plays the fights and doesn’t slow it down or show any slow motion stuff.

xbmw200x

Agreed with the over-editing of the fights. The punching sounds and the mulitple camera angles makes me zone out. The shots of the hot lady friends are ok, but used WAY too much. They should show the fight in its entirety and cut out the drama BS. Ultimate Fighter may not have the same ratings but it still reigns supreme IMO.

anonymous

Yeah, I agree, they kind of over-dramatize the fighting portions. The frightened children watching their daddy get beat up etc…

I guess they have to edit it somewhat, because there are five three minute rounds plus one minute breaks and if they showed all of it the fight would take almost half the show.

The slow motion is okay sometimes, but they also seem to edit it in a way that usually makes the winner of the first round appear to be losing the second and so fourth, probably to keep it more exciting, even if there is a clear winner. You can’t judge how the fight really went because of the editing.

xbmw200x

‘I guess they have to edit it somewhat, because there are five three minute rounds plus one minute breaks and if they showed all of it the fight would take almost half the show. ‘

This is my whole point, if the show is about boxing, shouldn’t they show boxing for at least 1/2 of the show?!? All this drama BS makes it too much like survivor. I understand they have to work the plot and characters to make it interesting to the masses but only showing a few minutes of actual boxing during an hour show is ridiculous.

jerry68

The Contender lost all credibility when Stallone started \”coaching\” the boxers… That is like Steven Seagal offering training tips to Navy SEALS…

leftie79

I haven’t watched Contender myself, but other people I have talked to have. They like it, but I don’t think they get the whole \”let’s show at least the last half of the show them boxing,\” and leave out this drama stuff. But in a tv world filled with reality shows containing drama, to keep ratings high, I guess you have to have it somewhere. I did see a couple minutes of one, towards the beginning where they had to run all the way up the bleachers and grab a flag and then run down put it on the grass, run back up to a lower part and do the same thing. I’m assuming they have \”challenges\” they have to do and then how do they decided who will fight who at the end?

anonymous

Yes, they have challenges, just as in \”Survivor\”. I guess that’s just the new reality TV format. I’d personally like to see more boxing myself.

ryan

If you want more boxing, watch boxing. The show has to appeal to a broader demographic than just boxing fans. If that were the market, then you would still see boxing matches on network TV.

As far as Stallone goes, he’s a major star, and he’s the catalyst for the show. I don’t think anyone believes he’s actually coaching these guys. As far as credibility, most of these guys are really good boxers. These are not scrubs like on De La Hoya’s show.

anonymous

I think the reason you don’t see more live boxing matches on network TV is that damn pay per view. Why show ’em something for free if you can charge ’em 50 dollars for the same thing? There is still a lot of boxing on the networks, but less interesting fights, or ones that are several years old.

I don’t know how many people are watching \”The Contender\”, who aren’t boxing or fight fans. I mean, I’m not much into ballet, so if there were a reality show about it, I don’t think I’d watch it just because of the dramatic personal stories of the dancers.

rosie

I like premium boxing (HBO,Showtime) because you get to hear what the trainers have to say in the corners between rounds. That is the fascinating stuff – the adjustments to strategy that boxers make in the middle of the fight. You get more of a behind-the-scenes look at the fight. On basic cable boxing, they use the breaks between rounds for commercials, and it’s not as interesting, IMO.

Of course, I think the contender would be better if they focused more on the sport rather than the family drama – the \”I’m doing this for my wife and kids\” routine, but I guess that would be asking for too much.

consurvativ

Re: The Contender

quote \”Leftie79\:

Does anyone watch this new reality show?

Ive watched it a few times, i thought some of the fights looked staged……

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: