Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

I about a third of the way through this book by Gavin de Becker. I’m already checking off things about my own abilities and predilictions to watch certain people because of a ‘gut feeling’. Has anyone else read this book? How do you feel it changed, if at all, how you viewed the world and your fellowman? Did it help your training?

la-revancha

Re: The Gift of Fear

Good book. And since we’re on the topic, pick up On Killing by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. The RHEK boys recommended them to me a while ago. Haven’t read On Combat yet, maybe after Dan Gable and Ben Franklin.

On Killing by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman and On Combat are two others I’ve been told should be required reading for self defense.
    Thanks for the reply.

stevetuna

I urge all of my participants in the women’s self-defense class to read “The Gift of Fear”. It describes situational awareness better than any other book I’ve found.

I also love the books by Lt. Grossman. Add Geoff Thompson’s books to the list as well. “Dead or Alive” is great.

ryan

You can’t go wrong with ANYTHING from Geoff Thompson.

karmaok

I am a big fan of The Gift of Fear. It has some very valuable information that hopefully will help avoid trouble in the first place, rather than having to fight their way out of it later. I highly recommend it. I have made it a point to make sure my wife and daughters read at least a couple of chapters.

Jeff

resqr1

Absolutely fantastic books. Gift Of Fear and his other – Protecting The Gift Should be mandatory for all practicioners of RBSD. On Combat is geared mostly toward Law Enforcement, but gives a great insight to the Warrior Mindset. I know of at least two academies who have made it mandatory reading for cadets. Another great book is Warriors by Loren Christensen.

gitano

Here is Thompson’s Dead or Alive, reproduced in some capacity (it appears) with permission.

LINK

nixxon

Just picked up The Gift of Fear, read about 5 pages into it at Borders… seems pretty interesting.

k8hokie

I just read this book about a month ago (Gift of Fear), it was fabulous! I loved the idea of not needing to be afraid of every little thing, that humans are hard-wired to know when something is not right. Great read, I recommend it to everyone I know.

I finished it over the weekend. I found a lot of wisdom in its pages. Highly recommended to anyone in self defense, but even more so for those who do not practice the craft.

armitage

I haven’t read any of the aforementioned books, but I have read “Watch my Back” – an account of his years as a bouncer in some of the most violent clubs/pubs in England. Although it’s most a biography – it does touch on his development of Reality Combat skills and dealing with adrenaline situations, so I highly recommend that one too!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: