Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

i’ve heard and read mixed opinions on krav maga in terms of being too commercialized and milked because of the hype. while it’s true with most martial arts, how do i differentiate a real deal school for a waterdown one? i’m willing to invest my time and money but not waste it… i don’t have a lot of both.

how would i know if the instructor is actually good and what questions should i ask him to find out? please keep in mind that i’m new at this and have had no previous experience with any forms of martial arts. i’m serious about the course and really want to learn… not to finish the course and move up a level ‘just because’.

if it makes any difference, the class i’m planning to join is located in toronto, ontario, canada.

andre

You are always the ultimate judge if a class and school is good for you. Take a couple free intro classes, assuming that they have one. Does the instructor sound like he knows the material? Does the stuff he teaches in class look like its good for self-defense? Have they been there at the school for a while?

wim

I think the best thing that you can do is to talk to some of the students. Most importantly, talk to students you feel might be looking to get the same thing out of the class that you are (i.e. if you desire to be a tough guy, find the tough guys). It really takes months to get a feel for what a school is all about. Intro classes can only give you a very superficial insight.

andre

The problem with depending on students to make the decision is because if they are there, they probably like what their doing and think the instructor is the best thing since sliced bread. Or the opposite, somebody that is almost disgruntled(even if no fault of the instructor)is only their becuase they have to pay on the contract so they figure they might as well go.

Asking students isn’t bad, but it shouldn’t be the foundation of the decision.

topitbull

Hey Man,

I’m in Toronto as well.

I hear the downtown school \”Warriors\” is very good.

I train at the Oakville location and I must say Steve is incredibly good!

Let me know if you have any Q’s about him.

PS

Just noticed your in Sauga, I am too! Wherabouts do you live, the Oakville location might just be better traffic wise.

thanks for all the advice. i’ll keep them in mind. i’m planning to go this saturday to talk with the instructor and see how it is.

TOPitBull… how long have you been taking the class and how many students are there in your school? also, up to what level can your instructor teach?

where in toronto do you live? i live close to the square 1 area, between hwy 403 & the QEW. the oakville school would’ve been my first choice too if i still had my car. had to give it up 2 weeks ago. one of the reasons i’m looking up krav maga classes is to distract me from loosing my car… at least until i can afford to get a new one by summer. don’t get me wrong, i’ve been wanting to take self-defence classes and i’m dead serious about my commitment once i decide to go. the toronto school is the most convenient location for me right now because of bus and subway access.

combat10

Another great club in Toronto

Great club with reality base Combat Survival at: Edge combat Fitness(400&407 area)
    The teacher is :Moni Aizik
    http://www.edgecombatfitness.com

topitbull

Actually the Go station is fairly close to the Training Center in Oakville.

I live in the Dixie and Burnhamthorpe area.

E-mail me as I have got some info for you regarding both schools.
    [email protected]

Regarding numbers, there are normally average 8-12 people in each class.

Its a nice comfortable number!

Get in touch with me, maybe we can work something out, you are kinda of on the way for me anyway, besides I go with a buddy too He’s at hwy 10 and 5, I drive him all the time!

If you don’t mind going Tuesday’s and Thursday’s (some saturdays)
    I might be able to squeeze you in the car!

Let me know

topitbull

Actually the Go station is fairly close to the Training Center in Oakville.

I live in the Dixie and Burnhamthorpe area.

E-mail me as I have got some info for you regarding both schools.
    [email protected]

Regarding numbers, there are normally average 8-12 people in each class.

Its a nice comfortable number!

Get in touch with me, maybe we can work something out, you are kinda of on the way for me anyway, besides I go with a buddy too He’s at hwy 10 and 5, I drive him all the time!

If you don’t mind going Tuesday’s and Thursday’s (some saturdays)
    I might be able to squeeze you in the car!

Let me know

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: