Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics The rising popularity of KM…good or bad?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    rifle

I have my gmail automatically send me alerts on KM everyday. There’s usually a blog mention or three about “starting out in KM” or something to that affect. That, got me wondering.

With the popularity of KM lately, and the “All the stars in Hollywood are doing it” thing, do you think it’s going to be good or bad for the future of Krav?

I give pause to compare KM to traditional martial arts, but do you think KM may someday suffer from the “McDojo” sickness?

I know what I think, but I’d like to get everyone elses’ opinion.

Rifle

chunkymonkey

Re: The rising popularity of KM…good or bad?

I don’t think it will. Well, as long as the training center doesn’t lower their standards. Let more and more get into it. It’s not like some Tae Bo(sp?) fad in my opinion. As long as it stays hands on I think it will be fine. But, we’ll see how it goes in the coming months/years.

kvmorl

I know its a concern for me yes.

I see KMWW work and concentrate to prevent that from happening to Krav. Tough certification and belt promotions are important i think. A way to re-certify in a certain period of time a studio would also be a good thing.

rifle

True. I think that as long as KM (Instructors) remember it’s roots, and keeps it pure, it should last.

I believe that with every generation, something changes. Now, from what I understand, KM welcomes a new technique if it meets the principals, then it could be worked into the cirriculum. But there’s a fine line between being innovative, and changing something for the sake of keeping things fresh and “what the people want”, so to speak.

I know that the KM I’m learning is pretty pure, simply because of the pedigree. I can count on one hand the number of “generations” that lead to Imi. But what about in 10 years from now? Or 100 years from now? I’m not sure if KM will continue to evolve and become even more effective and powerful, or become convoluted into something only for the fitness aspect, like many “traditional arts”.

I’m thankful to be where I am today. I know that what I’m learning is as close to perfect I can get. But I think human nature will dictate differently in the future.

Rifle

clfmak

In either case, the rising popularity of KM is bad for testicles everywhere.

unstpabl1

quote CLFMak:

In either case, the rising popularity of KM is bad for testicles everywhere.

Good Answer. Good answer:beer: Sorry just watched Celebrity Family Fued, but it was a good answer C

zen4me

quote Rifle:

True. I think that as long as KM (Instructors) remember it’s roots, and keeps it pure, it should last.

I believe that with every generation, something changes. Now, from what I understand, KM welcomes a new technique if it meets the principals, then it could be worked into the cirriculum. But there’s a fine line between being innovative, and changing something for the sake of keeping things fresh and “what the people want”, so to speak.

I know that the KM I’m learning is pretty pure, simply because of the pedigree. I can count on one hand the number of “generations” that lead to Imi. But what about in 10 years from now? Or 100 years from now? I’m not sure if KM will continue to evolve and become even more effective and powerful, or become convoluted into something only for the fitness aspect, like many “traditional arts”.

Rifle

I’m not trying to be an ass when I point this out, but statements like this are a part of what turned me off to even trying a TMA. From my experience and research, this posturing on “lineage” is rampant and smacks of the “my art is better than your art…” and “my teacher/sensei/grand poohbah is the only true keeper of the secrets” type of bs that plagues TMA’s.

If KM stays true to its core beliefs and practices, does it really matter what the “lineage” is?

– Kelly

ryan

This question comes up once or twice a year, going back (at least) to 2002 with Enough. That’s been six years, and I think KM is doing just fine. There will always be discomfort, but that’s where the growth is.

stevetuna

I can’t argue with Ryan’s thinking. He’s seen it ebb and flow.

I agree that it’s all about the standards set by KMWW. From my observations, they are taking measures to tighten up their already high-set standards. Good for them, good for all of us.

This topic made me laugh, though. Robert Crais, one of my favorite mystery authors, just came out with his latest Elvis Cole book, “Chasing Darkness”. Elvis describes going through his morning martial arts workout and mentions Krav Maga. It’s growing!!!

ryan

BTW, I don’t mean to be dismissive. I think the integrity of the system falls upon the shoulders of every instructor. I take this very seriously, and I hope that others do as well.

kirk

I think that the intensity of classes and the high level of standards set by the instructors will weed out anyone looking to rank up and Belt chase. I don’t see the McDojo happening, that usually happens when standards are lowered and I don’t see that happening!

I’m still new to Krav but IMHO the popularity of Krav is a market reaction to the McDojo fenom……. There’s enough people out there who reccognise and reject this and find a home in Krav. I had rejected my TMA long ago and Krav is what drew me back to MA. I think Krav’s success is more due to people discovering and embracing the system than any “marketing” efforts.

If Krav lost is’t “grit” it would lose a lot of the base it has now.

That said, the continuing political upheval has me concerned.:confused:

just my .02

CCB

BTW – Steve – I love your sig line (It was mine on another board for a long time. Really miss the Duke)

jesse

There basically are two fairly opposite extremes that are a danger to Krav Maga at this point. One is the McDojoing syndrome where standards are relaxed or shredded. The other is where fear of the McDojo drives practitioners to not expand, not encourage new blood, and ultimately stifle themselves and the future of KM. Frankly, the second option doesn’t seem to be one that will happen due to the friendliness and camraderie that currently exists. The only way to deal with the McDojo situation is simply to continue to insist on higher than normal standards for training and acheiving. If it’s rigorous enough, the number of people who would attend for a few months and then quit to run off and swear they know KM will be close to non-existent. As human beings, we always value things more if we have to work for them more. And we’re less likely to want to water them down or sell them cheaply.

For myself I just officially started last night after trying out several classes and observing the school for over a year. I simply had not had the money previously. At this point I have about six months that I can train in before the money runs out and I get ready to move overseas. I’ll be spending most of the rest of my life with my family in a very dangerous city that I’ve lived in before. My decision to take Krav Maga was based on its reputation for effectiveness and the standard and intensity of training that I had seen. That is what will continue to draw some and discourage others.

Jesse

roningai

This is a great thread. i’m a noob to KM but i’ve kept my eye on is for 3 yrs prior to taking the plunge. in the facility i go to i’ve noticed an increase in attendance and that’s a good thing if the person is truly dedicated then they will stick with it. i for one crave this type of stuff i feel bad on my days off that i didn’t involve myself. i’ve learned so much in the short time span i’ve been there, it’s has built up my confidence tremendously and has empowered me. I’m a much happier individual because of KM. i just needed a place to vent and visualize…..rofl2

karmaok

I tend to think that KMW will be fine because of it’s professionalism and high standards for instructors. BUT when people see the popularity, money, and high number of students attending, watered down imitation is bound to happen- and in fact already has on several occasions in the city where I train. A new student may or may not fully investigate all the different schools and their affiliations before joining. Many factors play a role, proximity, word of mouth, reputation. The more popular KM becomes, the more imitation arises, the more discerning a prospective student must be to make sure he/she is getting the best training available. Also the harder an affiliated school has to work to make sure prospective students are educated well enough to choose the best self defense training-not just the most convenient or cheapest.
    PS I have noticed that as popular as it seems right now to us that love it, when people ask what I do and I answer Krav Maga and CrossFit-most still do not know what in the hell I am talking about.

Jeff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: