Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Thinking about Krav Maga need advice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    shorepete

I’m really interested in KM but I’m 38 and not in the best shape. Who would be in my beginner Level 1 classes with me? Ripped 18yr olds, Moms etc. I would go to the national Training Center in LA.

I’m a huge UFC fan and also wonder if the Self Defense or Fight will most resemble the moves in UFC.

Thanks.

kravjeff

I started at 36 and not in very good shape. I wasn’t in horrible shape, but hadn’t excersized with any consistancy in years.

Now, I’m still no prefessional athlete, but I can see and feel a huge difference in myself, and I began to notice the changes early.

I can’t speak for the NTC sepcifically, but where I train we have ripped 18-year-olds, and \”not so ripped\” 😉 50ish folks too, with everything in between. The great thing is, it’s not like going to the \”gym\” where all the meatheads look at you crooked if you can’t bench fifty times your bodyweight. Because we all work together, and we’re all there for essentially the same reasons (self defense and fitness), it’s a pretty close knit group – I would hope it’s the same way everywhere.

I’m a huge UFC fan too – You can actually train in mixed martial arts at other schools (if there are schools in Colorado I’m sure there are in the LA area), but I have no experience with those. However in addition to Krav, several of us also take Fight, where you progress from the basics, and move into sparring etc … I get my \”UFC fix\” that way, and I think it’s an excellent compliment to the self defense training in KM. Check this out if you haven’t already.

https://kravmaga.com/lafighting.asp

Best of luck – Let us know what you decide and how your first class was!

KJ
    8)

anonymous

Ripped 18-year-olds, moms, dads, heavy, slim, tall, short, skinny, overweight, we’ve got ’em all! I’m sure you’ll find someone suitable to work with.

If you are going for the fighting classes, try the intro fight first. I’d also very much recommend the ground fighting classes with Richard. They are open to all levels, beginners and advanced. If you are lucky (or really unlucky), you might even get a chance to wrestle me! 😈 May God have mercy on your soul….. 8)

jl

GK,
    You must take it easy on this poor unsuspecting soul. No RNC’s, no Triangle Chokes, No kimura’s, guillotines, no arm bars, wrist or knee locks. But everything else goes. 😈

kravjeff

JL – You just took all the fun out of it for GK ! 👿

I don’t know about everybody else, but I tend to learn tons when I’m taking a beating! (Which is fairly often 😆 ).

jl

Alrighty then………………..GK a beating it is. 👿 You may use any and all of your arsenal! 🙂

Poor guy! 😥

maskedkat

Don’t be intimidated by who else might be in the class. My own experience, and from what I can tell on this forum others’ as well, is that KM classes overwhelmingly have a great spirit of cameraderie. We’re all there to learn, and how someone’s body looks does not necessarily make him/her \”better\” at KM. I’m 41, and was in decent shape when I started… last night was my 20th class (woo-hooo!) and I am in much better shape than when I started. This is not only a very practical self-defense system, but it’s the best workout I’ve ever done. Bar none.

Just sign up, commit yourself to sticking with it for at least a month. I bet you’ll be addicted!

Let us know how it goes!

bradm

At 38, you’re still a young whipper snapper. Just kidding. You should not have too much of a problem. Just go at your own pace and build up you endruance gradually. But, push your self a little more each class. I was about 61 when I started Krav, but I was in fairly good shape from other martial arts and workouts. I’m 64 now. And I have been known to give some of those younger, ripped, whipper snappers a run for their money. Sign up and give it a go.

anonymous

Okay, I’ll try not to break anything. 😉 We do want him to come back.

Shorepete didn’t mention his weight. If he’s smart, he’ll just sit on me the entire time, not letting me move. 8)

shorepete

Thanks everyone. Sounds like it’s worth a try. I’m 5’10’ two bills right now but want to get to around 180 over time. I’ll probably check out the KM LA center when on vacation next week.

j-frank

Re:

quote \”BradM\:

At 38, you’re still a young whipper snapper. Just kidding. You should not have too much of a problem. Just go at your own pace and build up you endruance gradually. But, push your self a little more each class. I was about 61 when I started Krav, but I was in fairly good shape from other martial arts and workouts. I’m 64 now. And I have been known to give some of those younger, ripped, whipper snappers a run for their money. Sign up and give it a go.

very cool! 😀

anonymous

Two bills? Damn! Definitely sit on me then. But remember, according to very unoffcial (meaning my own) NTC rules, the smaller guy gets to bite, eye gouge and groin pull, to make up for the unfair weight advantage. 8) Come on over, if you still dare… 😈

kravmdjeff

Shorepete, the NTC is a tremendous place to train. I would recommend you check it out immediately!

dreadegos

Re:

I recently restarted KM after a rather long break. I’m forty-one, 5’10 and tip the scales at 260 (Which is forty pounds heavier than I was the first time around). Don’t worry about being out of shape. Pace yourself, avoid injury, and you’ll be amazed at how quickly physical fitness will take care of itself

You shouldn’t have any trouble at all. As others have said, you’ll encounter all shapes and sizes in the level one KM class. You’ll even encounter advanced level students who are there to stay sharp on the fundamentals. You’ll find that regardless of physical fitness and level of experience most people are there to help you succeed.

kravmaniac

Thinking about Krav

I started at age 49. I was just getting started in Martial arts for the third time in my life and the school I am going to offered Krav Maga. I waited a couple of months to build my endurance up a little before trying the Krav though. I satrted back in January of 2006 and have lost almost 75 pounds, mostly due to the Krav Maga. I have some health problems (knee and back) which have presented some challengs at times but the weight loss has helped ease the strain on my knees and back. I still have a long way to go to reach my goal weight (100 pounds to loose) but I don’t think you will find a better way to get back into shape. My advice would be to go for it! I wish I had discovered it 10 years ago, I would not be in the shape I am in now. If you have good instructors, they will recognize your physical limits and push you to them and then just a little farther to make you work. Krav Maga is about never giving up and giving 100%. I hope I didn’t ramble on too much but I just love this training!! 😀 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: