Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Third party (family, not VIP!) protection

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    edsko

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anybody could recommend any books, DVDs, discussions on websites, or whatever — preferably by Krav Maga people of course, but not necessarily — discussing third party protection (but not VIP protection).

The third party protection we do in Krav Maga (at least, as far as I have seen) mostly covers weapon disarms: I see somebody threatening somebody else, or I am walking along with somebody else and one of us gets threatened, and we try to disarm.

But surely there must be much more that can be said on the topic. I am walking with my wife/husband/fiancee/best friend/whatever, and something happens. What should I do? (Apart from running, of course 🙂 What is the best way to shield her/him? What about positioning (during an attack, but potentially also beforehand)? How should we deal with multiple attackers? What sort of reaction can we expect from our loved one (they might cling to you, for instance) and how should we deal with that?

I feel that there is a lot that can be said on the topic, and I think it’s an important topic. I know for a fact that many of my own students tick the box for ‘I want to learn to protect my family’ when they join our school. However, it’s also a topic that I think is not covered enough in the standard curriculum.

I would very much appreciate any insights!

Thanks,

Edsko

don

Re: Third party (family, not VIP!) protection

IMO, the best way is to involve your significant others/family members in the preparation for SHTF incidents. Like preparing for fires, earthquakes, floods, other natural disasters, etc except taking it to another level. IMO, it’s best to make your significant others/family members a part of the Solution – e.g. get them trained so they can kick ass and take names too. If not to that extreme, how can they help you help them? E.g. being extra eyes for you, feeding you weapons/ammunition, calling for help while you’re dealing with attackers, knowing how to stay out of your way, throwing sharp objects at BGs, etc.

Try to post more later…

greenbeanie

quote Don:

IMO, the best way is to involve your significant others/family members in the preparation for SHTF incidents. Like preparing for fires, earthquakes, floods, other natural disasters, etc except taking it to another level.

This is exactly what we’ve been told at our school. Sometimes we’ll have a seminar where we bring in significant others and involve them in various non-weapon related third party protection scenarios.

blockcrat

quote Don:

IMO, the best way is to involve your significant others/family members in the preparation for SHTF incidents. Like preparing for fires, earthquakes, floods, other natural disasters, etc except taking it to another level. IMO, it’s best to make your significant others/family members a part of the Solution – e.g. get them trained so they can kick ass and take names too. If not to that extreme, how can they help you help them? E.g. being extra eyes for you, feeding you weapons/ammunition, calling for help while you’re dealing with attackers, knowing how to stay out of your way, throwing sharp objects at BGs, etc.

Try to post more later…

I agree. Remember that in SHTF incidents, untrained family members can be a liability. Let’s say that there are 5 of you walking to your car and somebody pulls a knife on you, it will be like one on one between you and your attacker but you have 4 other people to defend.

The second part makes more sense because they can be easily taught. Teaching them to recognize potential improvised weapons can go a long way.

edsko

Of course, having everybody trained in Krav Maga would be the ideal solution. Not always viable though!

ryan

They don’t have to be trained, per se, though that would be great, but you should establish ex fil plans with your family. That’s something everyone can and should do, if “third party protection” is important to you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: