Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    anonymous

Yesterday in the news there was a story about a new tiny pistol made by a Swiss manufacturer, which was available over the internet. It looked like a key chain, the weapon being less than two inches long, like a Barbie doll pistol. It apparently fires real tiny bullets that can pierce the skin.

I’ve never heard of such a thing. Has anyone else? In the story, they expressed concern that such a pistol may fall into the hands of terrorists, but how dangerous can such a small weapon really be?

What if you tried to use it to intimidate somebody, stick that little doll gun in his face trying to rob him or something, how effective could that be? Wouldn’t the victim laugh at you and make odd comments about the size of your pistol?

taikei

Fire arms banned around hear.

kravjeff

Are you sure you didn’t dream this in your drug induced state? 😉

Many experienced \”shooters\” argue that a handgun of any caliber is not a good self defense weapon. I know that probably sounds rediculous to \”non firearm folks\” but it’s widely reported that it frequently takes multiple, well placed shots to stop a violent attacker. According to those reports, it’s not like you see in the movies where someone is hit, thrown violently backwards, and half of their chest is missing.

That being said, size does matter (sorry – couldn’t resist). Most would argue that any caliber smaller than .380 is inadequate for self defense. More common are 9mm, .40 & .45 cal.

A \”tiny gun\” that shoots \”tiny bullets\” likely won’t do anything in the moment except piss someone off … I personally wouldn’t carry anything smaller than .40 unless it was as a backup. I’d love to come across a terrorist or two with Barbie guns! 😈

Post the link if you have one.

kravjeff

OK – Apparently it’s called the Swiss Minigun … \”If placed to the temple it could kill\” …

I’m not buyin’ it (though I probably wouldn’t shoot myself with it to prove anything 😉 )

http://steelturman.typepad.com/thesteeldeal/2006/10/bang.html

http://www.swissminigun.com/

unstpabl1

No,for the same reasons Kravjeff stated better than i would’ve.Funny story,years ago a buddy of mines bar gets robbed…1 guy,small bar,take over thing…..he decides to fire off a round at the window to get everyones attention.25 cal hit the glass and fell straight down…..didn’t break the glass…owning a gun is a big deal and mentality of it is often overlooked.As i’ve been advised never point a gun at anything your not absolutely willing to absolutely destroy.A wouinded animal is a dangerous animal.And as an Isreali gentleman once said(paraphrased)some animals walk upright on 2 feet.

kravjeff

Re:

quote \”unstpabl1\:

…..he decides to fire off a round at the window to get everyones attention.25 cal hit the glass and fell straight down…..didn’t break the glass….

😆 😆

Would have loved to have been there for that !!!

prekarious1

In a high stress situation most people would miss a shot with a pistol. Even with an accurate pistol, they shake too much or jerk the trigger or grip to tight or heel the weapon or flinch just before shooting etc etc…
    One of the main factors in mechanical accuracy (take the human element out) is the barrel length. Shorter barrel gives the round less time to take the spin therefore losing accuaracy. You might be able to shoot in the general area you are wanting but you might end up shooting an innocent just as easily because of it.
    I am a weapons and tactics instructor in the Marine Corps so do have an idea what I’m talking about.

unstpabl1

Re:

[quote=\”kravjeff
    😆 😆

Would have loved to have been there for that !!![/quote]

Jeff,it was even funnier,almost everybody in the bar was armed…..it was a cop bar 🙄 Go directly to jail,do not collect $200

Prekarious1
    are there ways to train the shake out of the loop?Do you induce stress or fof into the training?You don’t have to get specific,i realise we’re on the net.The reason i ask is there is a Systema book on breathing,i’m considering and i know snipers work on breathing,but they usually have time for the shot and to think,its not as dynamic so to speak,limited movement etc.I teach acting so i’m always looking for ways to control the fight or flight.Best wishes,stay safeand train them to come home safe.
    mike

kravjeff

Re:

quote \”prekarious1\:

In a high stress situation most people would miss a shot with a pistol. Even with an accurate pistol, they shake too much or jerk the trigger or grip to tight or heel the weapon or flinch just before shooting etc etc…
    One of the main factors in mechanical accuracy (take the human element out) is the barrel length. Shorter barrel gives the round less time to take the spin therefore losing accuaracy. You might be able to shoot in the general area you are wanting but you might end up shooting an innocent just as easily because of it.
    I am a weapons and tactics instructor in the Marine Corps so do have an idea what I’m talking about.

Understood – But isn’t that what training is all about? Also, it is my understanding that most confrontations (outside of the military) take place withing 7 yards … You don’t need perfection at closer ranges to put two center mass.

BTW – Thank you for your service!

anonymous

Yes, it was the Swiss Mini gun. There is now this statement on their website:

\”Thanks for visiting our website.

Following the polemic created in the USA by the American media about our miniature revolver, we are obliged to close our website for a while.

Hope we will be back soon.

SwissMiniGun\”

The report I saw was on a local television station and they had a counter terrorist expert talking about the danger of terrorists ending up with these weapons and bringing them on planes etc. I thought right away that it couldn’t really be that big of a danger, since the tiny bullets may not cause more damage than maybe being stung with a needle.

Then there is the intimidation factor, but who would get intimidated by what looks like a Barbie gun? KM defenses could be tricky, though. You might need to use your fingers to redirect, instead of the whole hand. Then again, tough as we are, we are probably going to take the doll bullets with a smile and then just beat the crap out of the guy. 😆

kmcat

Sounds like an antique derrienger, a.k.a., \”a card gambler’s gun\”. I googled for some and found a link to this one for sale by some dealer. It is probably dates from the 1800’s, but did not see a date for it on the page:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976485536.htm

kravjeff

Nope – That’s at least kind of a real gun (and very cool!) … This thing (the Swiss Minigun) is literally like two inches long.

anonymous

Yeah, that one looks small, but still big enough to maybe do some type of damage, at least if fired at close range. The mini gun with the mini bullets, I don’t know.

anonymous

Wow, 30,000$ for that thing??? I think I’d rather buy myself a shiny new rocket launcher.

clfmak

My dad told me a story about a trip to the gun store he had with a friend a long time ago. His friend was considering buying a derringer, and my dad was trying to talk him out of it. When telling him about the shortcomings of the derringer, he pointed out that it didn’t even have any sights, so how could you aim it? (as a side note, I don’t think sights are necessary in a self defense gun). The owner called him over. He grabbed my dad by the shirt and pushed the barrel into his head and said \”this is how you aim it\”. I don’t know how such an irresponsible gun handler owned a gun store, but he was right about aiming the thing- small covert guns aren’t meant to be shot from a distance

I remember reading a review for another timy gun but this one is larger and fires .22 rounds:
    http://www.themartialist.com/0106/minirevolver.htm

In my opinion, these things work at very close range, and at very close range a knife would be a far more effective weapon- never runs out of ammo or jams, can cause big gruesome wounds in seconds even with a small blade. And a knife is also a great tool, so it is not strictly a weapon like a gun is, so you can carry it more freely. But the one above looks like it may have merit if you felt the need to carry something like that around.

I remember a while back I saw an ad in a knife magazine about a bayonet style knife with a repeater mechanism in the handle, so it could shoot a few bullets from a hole above the spine of the blade by pulling a trigger in the handle.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: