Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Tips for attacking/defending and breathing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    karnos

Hello guys, new member here, from Mexico thumbsup

I started training Krav Maga here since last August, with no previous knowledge in any other form of defense/martial art; needless to say the first weeks were horrible, but now I am under a much better physical condition.

However, I am having a very rough time attacking and breathing; I get taxed very quick after a burst of attacks. Now, I know that the first red light is that I need to train even more on this, which I’m doing every day at home, but my real question is what can I do to improve this?

I know that what many people do is release air after impact and breath when retreating, and that’s what I do, but I don’t see much improvements, though.

Any tips, exercises, etc will be REALLY appreciated.

Thanks!

kirsten

Re: Tips for attacking/defending and breathing.

Hmm… yes more cardio would obviously be helpful, your right on that and it will come in time. But you probably should be breathing out while your attacking and not holding your breath and breathing after… that is probably what is making it even worse. Hang in there, keep pushing yourself and above all else- give yourself some credit AND some time. Your just starting. Good luck!

magamike

The thing that helped me was the Bas Rutten Mixed Martial Arts workout CDs. It is really improving my anaerobic fitness, and you see endurance gains very quickly. If you haven’t tried them, it’s a fairly low cost investment that produces a big fitness return that is directly applicable to Krav training.

I’m with Kirsten on when to breathe. I exhale forcefully at the moment of impact. This tightens the core and it seems that there is then a natural “recoil” of the lungs that brings some air back in before the next strike. It seems to me that most fighters I’ve observed breathe in that manner as well by the sound of it. Some people (likely from prior martial arts training) like to say a word when they strike, such as “Ush.” That may help you exhale at the right time since pronouncing the word requires you to blow out air without thinking about it.

karnos

Thanks for the replies, guys. I’ve training tonight, I’m going to try breathing like that this session. They told us yesterday today’s drills will be quite intense, so we’ll see how I fare thumbsup

phlegmon27

Start doing Yoga (if you don’t already). Pay close attention to the breathing, and how to be aware of the breath. You should find that this awareness will cross over to your Krav workouts, and breathing will become less of an issue.

karnos

quote phlegmon27:

Start doing Yoga (if you don’t already). Pay close attention to the breathing, and how to be aware of the breath. You should find that this awareness will cross over to your Krav workouts, and breathing will become less of an issue.

Thanks a lot for this tip. Yoga didn’t cross my mind at all. My girlfriend practices it, so I might ask her get me started.

I returned from my class a couple of hours ago, we had a VERY intense drill early on, but I did manage do well on my breathing for most of the time. However right now I feel wasted! :Deadhorse:

maddogmean

This is in response to the “USH” sound when striking. I make a similar sound when punching. It seems to push me a little further especially when I’m gassed. I find that I’m pretty much the only one that does it in some classes–mainly lower level classes and heavy bag cardio. I know to the average joe it may sound like I’m trying to be a bad@$$. But I feel like my punches are lacking that little extra without it.

farhan

I have been working out for a while, never liked cardio. Especially the way it made me feel coz of my Asthma.

And now after starting KM, I realized how out of shape I am when it comes to endurance.

I started incorporating cardio workouts in my routine and this morning I literally felt like I was going to pass out. Its a miserable feeling. Like there is no oxygen in the air any more.

kirsten

Like running with a drinking straw to breath out of… I have sports induced and its getting worse with age… I feel for you!

farhan

Mine is exercise induced as well. And its more like some one is squeezing the straw from the middle while your breathing through it…LOL

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: