Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Tips for increasing flexibility?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    mikwrigh

Hi everyone,

I imagine some of you can relate to my situation. I’m in my mid 30s and have a hard time achieving and attaining greater flexibility, particularly for techniques such as side/back/round kicks. Even the hurdler stretches during the warm up present a challenge.

I attempt to stretch progressively further each time I train, but it never seems to get any easier. Sometimes I feel more flexible during a particular class after I’m very warmed up and I think I’ve made some headway, but I’ll be back to square one by the next class.

Should I just chalk this up to age and do what I can or does anyone have any suggestions for progressively increasing flexibility?

la-revancha

Re: Tips for increasing flexibility?

First of all, recall that we are training to kick attackers in normal dress attire (denim, sandals, slacks) in an everyday setting, i.e., while you are not warmed up. For that reason, you will rarely see any KM kick needing extreme flexbility (targets above the torso).

That being said, here is my recommendation:

An attorney friend turned me to this six years ago, and I still do the same routine today.

The second workout, Tone, will do wonders for posture and loosening the pesky hip muscles, like psoas/piriformis as well as the internal groin muscles. Kick flexibility will improve.

Also great for BJJ hip flexibility, judo shoulders and overall lower back stiffness.

magamike

Well, I’m not a flexibility expert, so I’ll just give you some encouragement. It’s not an age thing (certainly not in your mid 30s). I am 47 and can do a decent round kick to the head of my 6’2″ Century Bob punching dummy and I’m only 5’9″, yet I can still barely touch my toes without pain. It’s not so much about functional flexibility (all that static stretching we do after warm ups – that helps reduce injury and soreness). It has more to do with dynamic flexibility and correct technique (foot/hip positions).

Do a Google search for “dynamic flexibility martial arts” or something like and you’ll get a lot of links to useful information. Also Google some tutorials and images for specific kicks you want to improve and mimic the technique. Better yet, ask your KM instructors to give you some advice on the spot if you are having trouble.

Once you are using proper technique, then it’s mostly about practice. If you want to kick well, then practice kicking a lot.

leejam99

google PNF.

mikwrigh

Thanks for the replies. I shall investigate. From the looks of it, this stuff is beneficial not only for training but for everyday life.

spartankrav

I took La Rev’s recommendation and mixed Power Yoga in a few years ago. Give it a try. If you can get past Kest’s jorts, it is great. haha. Seriously though, it is a great workout. I’ve also picked up some of the Rondey Yee yoga DVDs from Gaiam. I like those as well, especially Yoga for the Core.

Finally, in Eddie Bravo’s Mastering the Rubber Guard he goes through some great stretches. Some of the stretches are pretty advanced but go at your own pace.

I don’t know If my experience may be able help you but here It is:

Last summer I started practicing Capoeira and It was awesome. Unfortunately due to my school’s schedule I had to leave It :(: . Shortly after that I started practicing Krav Maga and I was amazed by the flexibility that capoeira had give me, seriously, for a guy of my size and weight I think It really helped me out.

Although I still respect Capoeira and all It’s practitioners, I’ll think I’ll stick to Krav Maga :D, but the help it gave me with my flexibility is undeniable, I still practice a little when I have the time.

rfc

I have a desk job and sit almost all day. It’s good to make every attempt possible to get up and walk and stretch in many different directions. I stretch gently and hold it for at least 15 seconds followed by a repeat stretch that goes a little deeper.

Around December, I badly pulled my groin muscle and tendon in my right leg. It was agonizingly painful for 2 full months and it required medical intervention (heavy duty anti-inflammatories) and physical therapy. For 3+ three months, I did all kinds of leg and hip stretches on both sides at least 3 times a day, 10 minutes each session. It finally reached 90% recovery in early March adn now, my legs and hips are more flexible than they ever were.

There are countless web sites that show proper technique and they all show basically the same thing. Stretch properly, thoroughly and frequently -and it will improve things.

Ray

phlegmon27

I have the pleasure of being married to a part-time yoga instructor. All I can say is: yoga, yoga, yoga. The payoff is huge.

stephx777

quote phlegmon27:

I have the pleasure of being married to a part-time yoga instructor. All I can say is: yoga, yoga, yoga. The payoff is huge.

I agree. yoga does wonders for flexibility

garddawg

P
    N
    F

simple

kravmdmatt

Being probably one of the most flexible person at my school (I’ve been known to come in out of the cold and drop down into full splits – and I’m 34 years old) I can tell you it takes some work and time to achieve an even moderate to high level of flexibility.

Suggestions:

Stretch immediately after a workout or training session. Your muscles are already warm and after all of the muscle contractions that occur during a workout you need to stretch to release the muscle fibers.

Hold stretches for at least 20 – 30 seconds each.

Stretch after a hot shower (or bath).

Find time to stretch everyday.

If you’re looking for kick flexibility, don’t just stretch your legs. Your hips, back and sides also come into play. Sometimes it’s not just a matter of flexibility but muscle tone as well (for side kicks and the like, build up the muscle strength on the sides of your legs by doing side leg lifts)

Yoga works!

Keep in mind people are more flexible in the dynamic sense than they think. For example when people throw an axe kick or any of the slap kicks, they find the harder they throw their leg, the higher they’ll kick regardless of their static flexibility.

Just kick people below the belt!!!

You will probably never achieve the ability to do splits on chairs, but increased flexibility will not only improve your technique, but will help you reduce daily muscle tension and allow you to move more freely in training drills.

Good luck.

leejam99

quote garddawg:

P
    N
    F

simple

great minds think alike 🙂

I’m sure you’ll be at the qualifier’s this weekend? I’ll be sure to find you and say hello.

kirsten

I try.. but just can’t seem to do yoga.. but maybe if we had a half naked guy in tights teaching it, it would consider it… 🙂

kirsten

okay let me add a “nicely shaped” man in tights, not a Kevin James “Paul Blart” in tights…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: