Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics To Krav or not to Krav, that is the question!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi all

Well I found out that there is Krav Maga lessons at my university gym. I should start off by saying that the lessons are ridiculously cheap. Only $10 a month, that’s like $2.50 a lesson!!!

So it would seem like a no-brainer, but here is my problem. It looks like I’ll be working on many Fridays (the day of the lesson) and I will arrive late. The lesson is from 12:30 to 1:30 and I can only make it there at about 1.

I went to visit last week to see what it’s about, and actually the lesson ran quite a bit longer than 1:30, and they covered a lot of techniques and stuff, but I am a bit worried about falling behind by missing the beginnings of many lessons. Additionally everybody partners up in the beginning and I probably won’t have a partner, though I did see many people arriving late, especially some for this karate class afterwards who joined in.

I spoke to the instructor and he said I’m welcome to join, even if it would be with limited participation. So from his side it’s ok. But I’m not 100% sure whether the instruction is even that great. He didn’t seem to have any equipment at all (ok this is still beginning stages but somehow I don’t see him bringing gloves, pads, fake guns/knives or anything of that sort).

So basically it’s like karate for self defense or something (he’s a 6th dan black belt karate instructor and led the class dressed in a gi).

So that’s my dilemma. To join or not? I suppose I could say that for that amount of money ANYTHING I learn could be beneficial…

bradm

I think the first thing you should do is find out if the insttuctor is certified and licenced by KMWW. If not, stay away from him (unless you want to learn Karate from a 6th Dan). Second, is he conducting the Krav class like a traditional Martial Arts class? If so, I think I would stay away from that also.

giant-killer

Yes, unless you are okay with learning karate instead, I’d be careful. Coming late would be okay I believe, you’d probably just miss the warm up and you could ask someone to let you work in.

clfmak

Are you learning just for self defense? I do a lot of traditional karate conditioning, but its because I enjoy it, not just for self defense. Whenever anyone asks why I train, I say \”because I enjoy it\” and I think its the best reason for doing martial arts in this day and age (depending on where you live, etc).

I don’t think the lack of gear is necessarily a bad thing. I did a semester of \”self defense\” taught by a judo black belt. It was a solid introductory course, yet he never had any gear except some throw mats. It is odd for krav maga to not use any pads, though. That seems like taking boxing without gloves, heavy bags, wraps or focus mitts.

You should see if you like the class and benefit by going there. That’s all that really matters. If you do, you should find some time to practice what you learn to make up for the missing half hour so you’re up to speed with the rest of the class (work the techniques in front of a mirrror, hit a heavy bag if you can, etc).

clfmak

Double post, RAAR!

vwr32

When I was in Egypt, I bought a Rolex for $10. The vendor had lots of them for that price. So did the vendor next to him. It literally fell apart 3 days later while I was eating dinner. I never thought I was getting a real rolex, but for 10 dollars I had fun with the novelty.

It’s your time and money. If it were my money I’d spend it on the Krav book just published and practice on my own. But you’ve seen the class, maybe it impressed you enough to take what it offers. I would be worried it would be the instructors version of krav rather than what krav really is. It’s your dime tho. 😉

Thanks for all your advice. I suppose I don’t mind too much learning something which is slightly karate orientated. I have never had karate lessons so I’m not sure exactly what it entails though…I didn’t hear the instructor mention that we’d have to learn katas though Razz

According to the pamphlet he has trained special units in the Israeli army, police, and other private organizations (bodyguards I guess). There is a mat of course (a huge judo ring) and I hope he’ll bring some pads and stuff later. It’s strange but there is not a single punching bag in the gym!!! This, a gym with like 30 treadmills each worth $5000! (and plenty more stuff, it’s really unbelievable).

I see that probably I won’t miss too many classes, so I think I’ll sign up. Still very elementary so I doubt I will get behind. I like the opportunity to be able to practise, but then again if you are supposed to be punching somebody in the stomach or something and you have to pull your punch very carefully so you don’t injure your opponent, it is not optimal imho.

The instructor is Avi Blair, maybe some of you know him or have had experience with him? He is 60+ I guess, but is a complete machine!! Unbelievably quick and strong and I would never want to get involved in a fight against him! He is a small guy but threw this enormous man in the class to the mat with no effort at all while demonstrating a move.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: