Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    chuck-dugan

Hi all, is there anyone here who started KM without any form of martial arts training or fairly low fitness? I actually signed up for a session in London, UK about six years ago but moved to Canada and it slipped from my mind. Now the Wife & I are looking to start, but i’m not exactly the fittest i’ve been, and I do find it a little intimidating when I think about going, although I also get pretty excited. So, yeah, anyone else like me? or were you all trained killers :D:

Chuck

kior

Re: Total Noob

I started without any MA background and wasn’t in the best shape, loads of people are the same. Krav’s military background means it emphasises getting you to a high level of proficiency and fitness as quickly as possible.

chuck-dugan

Thanks Kior, i’ll be signing up this week, i’ll be sure to post my experience too.

I see lots of people start training in KM from a background of no or little MA training & low fitness levels and its amazing to see the difference even with a few months of regular training. As mentioned KM was designed to get military recruits up to speed in a short amount of time. Everybody has to start somewhere. It is intimidating for many people at first – especially overcoming the fitness & stamina challenges. Just keep at it & know that the first level in KM is actually the most important as this is where you learn the basics which form the the building blocks for everything else in the system.

What is KM like in the ‘Rio of the North’? I know the place well – very nice town in a stunning location and with a historically rough & tumble port city element and now the added issue of narcotics-related turf wars and conflicts….I’ve personally never seen more street aggression anywhere & the city’s Downtown Eastside area has a unique degree of concentrated harshness and social problems (drug & alcohol addiction, poverty, mental illness, crime, HIV) unmatched IMO by anywhere in any other developed country.

chuck-dugan

Yeah, Downtown is particularly sketchy at night. When i’m out with the Wife, I always feel on edge, and thats a lot to do with why we wanna start. I want to be able to make sure I can protect her, or indeed, she can protect me (thats more like it I think)
    It is a beautiful place though, I wouldn’t live anywhere else.

some times it is better if you have no experiance in the martial arts. I have taken multiple martial arts in the past including kenpo karate, Tae Kwon Do, pa kua, kick boxing a few private BJJ lessons, and currently doing combat tai chi with krav.

I knew alot about fighting obviously but always found myself falling into old habbits durring krav trainning. Several times i would go into one of my pakua stances and circle walking or lowering my hands body level like a karate or tae kwon do fighter or opening up my palm and legthing my hands like i would when intercepting or deflecting punches like in pa kua or tai chi. yes some of the punches and kicks and fotwork i learned helped but some other things I learned did made me fall back in to old habbits.

when you have no prior experiance then you can start from square one and not worry about falling in to habbits like i did. Dont worry man you will do just fine.

mara-jade

Chuck,

It is not a requirement to have any prior martial arts experience. Hubby and I came in with none, 50 pounds overweight to start and we’ve so far passed Level 3 in our almost 6 years of doing KM. I know some of our best instructors had on prior experience before they started doing Krav. To those with it – great but don’t let it discourage you.

Don’t worry about anyone else’s abilities. It’s not a race and it’s not meant to be. You’ll be tired, winded and at times frustrated but it’s gonna be that way until you 2 get going. I promise, after some time your endurance will get better. If you slack off, believe me you’ll pay for it later. Did I mention it’s excellent marriage therapy?rofl2rofl2

Anonymous

RAPE DEFENCE VIDEOS

my wife and i made these to anti rape videos and would like some comments on them . take a look and let us know what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o9YSVBvaug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXKvwDP1nQI

thanks for taking the time to watch

mara-jade

francokrav,

This is getting quite OLD these posts of yours

chuck-dugan

quote mara_jade:

francokrav,

This is getting quite OLD these posts of yours

At least it wasn’t “rape in the kitchen”. He seems to be branching out a bit.

Thanks for the feedback everyone :):

quote Chuck Dugan:

Yeah, Downtown is particularly sketchy at night. When i’m out with the Wife, I always feel on edge, and thats a lot to do with why we wanna start. I want to be able to make sure I can protect her, or indeed, she can protect me (thats more like it I think)
    It is a beautiful place though, I wouldn’t live anywhere else.

From what I’ve seen in the Downtown Eastside area, as threatening as it looks to an outside observer, I think the risk of random crime (other than auto break ins) or violence to someone who is not a ‘participant’ in that World eg: people who are passing through, is fairly low. Though it is a fact that there are some very ill & desperate individuals there – not to mention convicts fresh out of prison. Its really the end of society’s line there. Fascinating in a way but also shocking to see – hard believe there can be such a degree of concentrated harshness in such a beautiful city in the modernized World – here’s an excellent glimpse into the realities of the area: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl2xcgGf_D4

Ironically, the Vancouver Police headquarters is itself located nearly in the middle of the ‘warzone’. There appears to have been a ‘hands off’ / no go area / ‘pick up the pieces’ policy in effect for a great number of years. Really presents some challenges to law enforcement policies as how do you effectively approach things where there’s such a myriad of underlying issues? Law enforcement, ‘harm reduction’, social work, being a mental and/or medical health worker, avoid the quagmire?

The rest of Downtown, from what I’ve seen, seems somewhat more unpredictable IMO in the nightlife areas where you have the age-old combination of young males + alcohol in the evenings & weekends especially.

chuck-dugan

quote Chocolate Soldier:

From what I’ve seen in the Downtown Eastside area, as threatening as it looks to an outside observer, I think the risk of random crime (other than auto break ins) or violence to someone who is not a ‘participant’ in that World eg: people who are passing through, is fairly low. Though it is a fact that there are some very ill & desperate individuals there – not to mention convicts fresh out of prison. Its really the end of society’s line there. Fascinating in a way but also shocking to see – hard believe there can be such a degree of concentrated harshness in such a beautiful city in the modernized World – here’s an excellent glimpse into the realities of the area: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl2xcgGf_D4

Ironically, the Vancouver Police headquarters is itself located nearly in the middle of the ‘warzone’. There appears to have been a ‘hands off’ / no go area / ‘pick up the pieces’ policy in effect for a great number of years. Really presents some challenges to law enforcement policies as how do you effectively approach things where there’s such a myriad of underlying issues? Law enforcement, ‘harm reduction’, social work, being a mental and/or medical health worker, avoid the quagmire?

The rest of Downtown, from what I’ve seen, seems somewhat more unpredictable IMO in the nightlife areas where you have the age-old combination of young males + alcohol in the evenings & weekends especially.

I agree 100 %, it’s Granville street where I feel uncomfortable at night, I’ve never had a problem in the Downtown Eastside, I lived there for a year and a half when I first came over.

dkatman

I started out without any experience at all. After a few years, some people might say I still don’t have any 😉

I have seen some people come in appearing to be somewhat out of shape. Sometimes it is absolutely amazing to see the transformations people make once they get hooked.

Go For It!!!

Good Luck,
    Dave

quote Chuck Dugan:

I agree 100 %, it’s Granville street where I feel uncomfortable at night, I’ve never had a problem in the Downtown Eastside, I lived there for a year and a half when I first came over.

A write up I found on Vancouver’s past history as a rough & tumble lawless frontier town where miners, loggers, fishermen etc would hit town and blow their wages in a whirlwind of vice:
    http://www.discovervancouver.com/GVB/vancouver-crime.asp

Interesting that some echoes of those early days apparently still linger on in the city’s culture.

Fwiw – here’s a scenario to consider: while I was there, someone told me of a mugging attempt they faced in the Downtown Eastside where the ‘weapon’ was a brandished syringe – kind of an unpleasant thought in an area where HIV rates are apparently similar to Sub-Saharan Africa. In any case, the ‘victim’ said he just ignored and carried on with no further action by the mugger – consistent IMO with many people in that area being unable to mount much of a physical attack threat due to being in very poor shape. Unlike the Granville Street area – being filled with young guys in their physical prime on booze. Alcohol + testosterone + youth = recipe for trouble.

ems-warlord

I had no prior experience at all when I started like 4 months ago.

I will admit I slacked alot the first two months and did not go more than once a week or try too hard.

The last two months I have worked my ass off (3-7 times a week) and eaten right and I have lost 10% body fat (as of today, yay!) and went down from 321 to 295.

So yeah man, it rocks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: