Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    ffdo

OK, I have been away from the post for a while, I hate the hollidays….. but I am back, at least for now…….

Interesting story. I was in a hotel room and had to pee at 0300ish….. I get up and stagger out of the bed and to the bathroom; or so I think. The bathroom door in this room is right next to a four by six mirror so I walk towards the mirror thinking it is the bathroom. As I start to walk into the ‘bathroom’ I see a ‘person’ walking out????? Now, of course, the person is me, but rather than freak out or scream before I see it is me, I go into a combative and stop myself inches before I need stiches in my hand for hitting the mirror. The point here is not that I rock, but rather the aggresion taught in KM along with the always respond tude could save your life. Even though it was just an immage, the thought of not being surprised at 0300 and attacking comes from the training KM gives, period…….

Just a quick story

JC

freelancer

I have hesitated in posting this but one of the reasons I’m starting Krav Maga is because I froze during an altercation about a month ago.

I haven’t been in a fight for at least ten years probably longer. I’m 6’4\” 250lbs and I thought I’d always handled my self ok when I was younger, I’m 37 now. Well I was at work and one of the associates that works for me attacked me with wild, rapid punches to the head. I managed to get away from him but what came through my mind that night after I got home was…I froze. I was so shocked that this was happening I didn’t do anything.

Pride and ego aside I was worried what would happen if this ever happened again and knew I had to do something about this. I had talked to my wife previously about taking krav as a way to get back into shape but after the attack I had a new yearning for it.

The classes I will take starting next week are only Saturday classses covering all of level 1. repition will have to come from practice on my own. My hope is that at the end of level 1 I will start to have some reactions imprinted into my fibers so this won’t happen again.

keith327th

HAHA NICE! Similar story… A couple months back my buddy crashed at our place. He had to leave really early and I wanted to lock the door behind him, so I told him to wake me up. He’s like \”Yeah right. You’ll probably jump out of bed and knock me out.\” I told him to tap my foot just in case. Sure enough, he tapped my foot the next morning and I put my hands up at my face… Almost like I was lying down \”defensively.\”

A few weeks ago we were working on knees in class. After I fell asleep that night I kept waking up because I was doing knees in my sleep. Last night I had a dream that I was fighting Ken Shamrock in a ring, and he went to shoot in, so I grabbed his head and woke up right after nearly kneeing my wife in the side. Thank God I woke up then. That dream could have easily turned into a nightmare LOL 🙄

\”Train how you fight, and fight how you train.\” My squad leader used to repeat that constantly when I was in the Army.

clfmak

It must have been scary when you saw that the guy was trying to punch you.

Just make sure it doesn’t become too automatic:
    \”Excuse me sir, do you know how to get to the… Ow my face!\”
    \”Hey man, got any change? Ow, right in the nads!\”
    \”Hey, you dropped your..\” (collapsed windpipe)

jl

fight

CLF…….LOL!!!!!!! 😆

FFDO,
    Same thing happened only I didn’t strike but I went into a defensive stance while passing a mirror early a.m. in a hotel while on my way to do my business. when I realized who my opponent was a got a chill then started laughing until I woke my wife…(not good)…but the automatic reaction was there and I’m glad, but to this day she tells everyone that will listen about the fight I almost had with myself. 😳 🙂

lor

Re:

Freelancer, I think it’s normal to freeze up (and at your build, that guy is lucky you hesitated 😯 ). My instructor talks about this frequently.

As a girl, I obviously have way less experience in this department. My current goal isn’t so much to immediately react but to instead remain calm enough to wait for my opportunity to strike back.

I’ve noticed the \”rapid fire\” punch is a preferred style among many in bars, parking lots, parties-gone-bad, etc. It looks wild and overwhelming. I would imagine learning how to absorb punches helps a little in this situation.

ffdo

Freelance

Most people that have not been trained will do exactly what you did. It is human nature not to believe what is happening for a period of at least fifteen seconds often much longer. Think about watching a traffic accident happen a little ways in front of you. Most times you watch it in disbelief for what seems to be forever before you hit your brakes. Nothing to feel bad about it but training will fix that in the event of a further fight.

Have fun and enjoy the classes.

JC

freelancer
    quote :

I’ve noticed the \”rapid fire\” punch is a preferred style among many in bars, parking lots, parties-gone-bad, etc. It looks wild and overwhelming. I would imagine learning how to absorb punches helps a little in this situation.

His punches were so rapid that they didn’t really do much. I had put my head down and hands up. Thinking back on it, an upper cut probably would have dropped him. This was more about intimidation then anything. It didn’t work and he got fired …so there.

FFDO, I agree and thanks.

lor

Re:

Freelancer ~
    \”…he got fired\”

Sounds like he deserved it.

karlhungus

Re:

quote \”Freelancer\:

I have hesitated in posting this but one of the reasons I’m starting Krav Maga is because I froze during an altercation about a month ago.

I haven’t been in a fight for at least ten years probably longer. I’m 6’4\” 250lbs and I thought I’d always handled my self ok when I was younger, I’m 37 now. Well I was at work and one of the associates that works for me attacked me with wild, rapid punches to the head. I managed to get away from him but what came through my mind that night after I got home was…I froze. I was so shocked that this was happening I didn’t do anything.

Pride and ego aside I was worried what would happen if this ever happened again and knew I had to do something about this. I had talked to my wife previously about taking krav as a way to get back into shape but after the attack I had a new yearning for it.

The classes I will take starting next week are only Saturday classses covering all of level 1. repition will have to come from practice on my own. My hope is that at the end of level 1 I will start to have some reactions imprinted into my fibers so this won’t happen again.

This is one of the many reasons that I am taking Krav. I am worried that this would be my reaction. I still don’t know for certain how I would react. I don’t think I would freeze. I just hope I could instinctively use the Krav and not have to think about it. My gut tells me that I would get my hands up, block, shoot in and knee the bejesus out of someone. That always seems to be my first instinct in class.

For some reason, punches and kicks just aren’t that instinctive to me yet. I do well in punching drills (good form and power IMO) with the pads, but when it comes to going into combatives I tend to stay away for some reason. Maybe it is just the lack of practice on a moving target.

All I can do is keep practicing though.

jjbklb

at 3:01ish what was your heartrate?after that adrenaline surge,were you able to get back to sleep?
    Next time throw a blanket over the mirror before turning in 🙂

kravmdjeff

This was from before I did KM, but when I was in high school, I had been doing TKD for about ten years at that point. I took a girl out on a date around Halloween to a Haunted Woods. Because I was a younger, tall guy they pushed me to the front of the caravan group of folks. Sure enough, the guy eventually comes barrelling around the corner with a chainsaw, and my heart had already been going. My fear-response was to pick my right leg up and chamber for a round or a side kick. Funny to look back on the fact that, for ten years, I had felt that fear instinct when someone bigger was coming in during a sparring match, and I had trained to kick him with something that would push him away.

That made me feel a little bit better about what would happen in a fight.

caliwt

Freelance and people scared of mirrors,

I think a key element is the situation, and the responce. If a friend or co-worker does something, your brain does not see it as a threat. You have to switch over yourself.

A mirror, even if it reflects your own image, is generally not in the \”correct\” framework so it triggers the fight or flight responce. We have eliminated the flight responce so guess what, you fight 🙂 . I had this happen with a hotel mirror in a hallway. It was in an alcove and it triggered me EVERYTIME I walked by, even knowing it was there. It was a guy in an alcove!! I do not want to get used to that…

Freelance, at WORK, being attacked by a Coworker had many layers of behaviour control on. Since the punches where really not a threat, it was not a trigger to start combat. Seeing someone, even your clone, in the Hotel room with you is a big trigger. Freelance could have been fired right along with the other guy if he fought back, and could have been the only one if he stepped up with a knock out blow, so he did the best thing, got to a safe defendable positon.

Another cool thing is that we can stop the attack BEFORe we hit the mirror. I think this come from the way we care about our sparring partners. It shows we have skill and control, even in threatening encounters. This is good if we need to defend our action in court. These experince shows our training includes the ability stop ourselves, that we are not uncrontolable lose cannons. Your reaction start, but there is still time to THINK about the event, and adjust to it.

kurtuan

Freelancer, I don’t think you give yourself enough credit. You said you froze, and didn’t do anything. But later you said you put your head down and your hands up. That sounds like something to me, heck I see a lot of trained fighters who haven’t figured that out yet!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: