Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    giant-killer

When training weapons defenses we do yell stuff sometimes, such as \”Move, motherf***\” etc, to make it more realistic. Just make sure your partner knows it’s to raise the aggression and not a real insult.

leejam99

in your Krav class, do you ever do any aggression drills? have your eyes closed, than your partner screams at you or hits you with the pad, than you go balls our for x seconds? that is one of em.

I’m glad that you are trying to find a way to get more aggressive. I wish more people in my classes and Krav in general would take your attitude. For Level 1 students, i think the most important thing that you need to learn is how to be aggressive, turn on the \”switch\” as we call it. Everyone should know and undertand that without it, technique alone won’t work or give you as of a good chance at surving the attack as you would if you use all your aggression in your defense. We’ve all been raised by society to supress our aggression and be nice at all times…well, you can’t be nice ALL times… when you need to save your life or the life of a loved one, its time to be not nice and GO HOME SAFE!

personally i like to do a lot of the drill like the one above in my lv 1 classes. But i actually have students yell out what ever they want especially bad languege and anything to provoke the partner. I think this is about far as i can go in short of me or the partner actually punching the student in the face to get them more aggressive 🙂 maybe spitting!?! that would piss anyone off. haha.

anyway, as you can read from the others…how to bring out your aggression is different for each person. I can’t tell you how to do it…all i can tell you is that YOUE NEED to do it if you want to go home safe.

hope that helps,

James
    [/quote]

nixxon

I think in general aggression is somthing that your born with. Its attitude in your heart and spirit. My dad brought me up to be aggressive and competative. Whenever I wanted to quit it was ingrained into me to never give up, push through the pain and fight till it was over.

I know in my Krav class people are especially scared of me because of my level of aggression. It also may be due to the fact that im 6’3 215 but I think most it comes from my intensity.

I’ve always kept it under control though. The only time I’ve hurt somone is on accident when the entire class holds pads and attacks you and my knee or hand has slipped from the pad into a body part. Or once when my pad holder was holding the pad wrong, and the pad was also soft.

cav

Re: training aggression

[quote:5aca987a40=\”dulany\”]i’ve been training in krav maga for a long time now but have always struggled getting the level of aggression i feel like i need. most of my techniques are good but if anyone has advice on how i can become more aggressive i’d appreciate it.[/quote:5aca987a40]

A lot of people have mentioned that it’s a loss of a training opportunity if you’re not being aggressive. Another technique may be that you think about how you’re not aggressive, you’re robbing your partner of his or her training opportunity to defend themselves from somebody who is.

lumpy

I think of hurting puppies…nawww…mean, nasty, hateful music, that does the trick.

When I teach, I often express agression as a switch that you have to be able to physically turn on. However, you have to keep your hand on the switch, so you can turn it off. It keeps your assailant guessing, and it really freaks out bad guys.

I would suggest that you treat every drill your instructor initiates like it is a fight for your life. In drill work, fight through everything that blocks your vision of winning the fight (pain, exhaustion..etc..) think of nothing but pounding that pad or making that self defense escape. Finish off every combative and self defense with a return to a good aggressive fighting stance. This helps me to kick it up a notch.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster
    quote lumpy:

I think of hurting puppies…nawww…mean, nasty, hateful music, that does the trick.

When I teach, I often express agression as a switch that you have to be able to physically turn on. However, you have to keep your hand on the switch, so you can turn it off. It keeps your assailant guessing, and it really freaks out bad guys.

I would suggest that you treat every drill your instructor initiates like it is a fight for your life. In drill work, fight through everything that blocks your vision of winning the fight (pain, exhaustion..etc..) think of nothing but pounding that pad or making that self defense escape. Finish off every combative and self defense with a return to a good aggressive fighting stance. This helps me to kick it up a notch.

quote check. cavs didn’t seem to work

jburtonpdx

I also think that part of “training aggression” is keeping the energy level in the room up. If we as instructors let things start to drop down and the students are already tired, the level of aggression tends to drop as well.

Also a big part of it as was mentioned earlier is when doing the self defense technique the attacker has to be real. If choking somebody – choke them, if putting somebody in a headlock – really pull them into it. This turns up the shock/surprise/fear element and allows the person to get some adrenaline going which triggers the fight/flight response and the aggression should start flowing from there.

I am pretty new to Krav Maga, but I spent several years training and leading soldiers in close-quarters combat. Aggression and violence of action are essential whether you are fighting off thugs intent on turning your wallet into their next fix or clearing rooms in any number of friendly towns in the Middle East. One of the things I would tell my guys when I would notice them just going through the motions is that the training they were doing was not only for them, but for their buddies to their left and their right. In any kind of close quarters combat environment (armed or unarmed), the person who has trained the most effectively and has the greatest will to win, will come out on top. If you end up in a situation where you need to use the techniques you have learned from your instructor, YOU WILL REACT THE WAY YOU HAVE TRAINED!!! If you hesitate or use half of your potential momentum because you are tired, nervous, or worried about looking ridiculous in the studio, your attacker is going to have a very easy time accomplishing his goal and very possibly injure or kill you, your family members, or friends.

Different techniques work better for different people. I noticed a lot of posts recommending to visualize something that makes you angry or “flip the switch”. This definitely works for some people and if it gets your aggression level up during training, excellent. What I would recommend, if you are able to, is to try to form an aggressive posture without emotion. While an angry opponent is obviously more of a force to be reckoned with than a passive opponent, emotional people make mistakes and get caught up in their rage. When I am engaged with an opponent, whether in training or combat, my only goal is to use the methods I have trained in to neutralize the threat. My actions are not done out of revenge, hatred, or anger… they’re just muscle memory of how I trained to react in certain situations.

The way I’ve been able to reach that aggressive posture in training is to always remember the reasons I’m there in the first place. It’s not just for my safety, but the safety of those around me. Get to the studio early and think real hard about this for about 10 minutes before you go in. Get yourself in the mindset that what you do, or don’t do, in the next hour may determine the fate of someone close to you. When you go up against another student (or a bag), don’t focus on whether other people are looking at you and judging your technique. Don’t try to picture that person as a mugger or a terrorist. The only thing that you need to focus on is that the target in front of you must go down, and stay down, quickly and no matter what.

Another technique that is fundamental in most fighting styles is to exhale and make some noise when you are striking and blocking. You don’t need to do a Karate Kid “Hi-ya!”… Any loud, hard noise will do just fine. This serves 4 purposes that I know of. First… Don’t ask me why, but exhaling when you are doing a strenuous motion gives you more power (try holding your breath or inhaling while exerting yourself while lifting weights…). Secondly, it will scare the living hell out of your opponent when you scream in his face while your elbow is going into his chest. Third, it tightens your abdominal muscles so if you screw up and take a shot to the gut, it won’t put you out of the fight. Finally, it will motivate you and hopefully those around you. Nothing feels better than to be “in the zone” When you put everything you have into something, you will have more of a drive to push it further and further and that kind of attitude is contagious.

If it’s a matter of you being embarrassed to act like a wild man/woman in class… Get over it. Anyone who is going to look down on you for a high level of motivation will probably drop out within the next month or so anyways. Besides, you don’t need to impress someone that acts like an 8th grader in gym class.

Sorry for the long post, but it’s a subject I take very seriously. Hopefully it helps someone out.

By the way, this is my first post and I’m pretty new to Krav Maga, so hi everyone!

Justin

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Very nice first post at that!

Welcome

quote CJs Dad:

Very nice first post at that!

See? An aggressive first post makes a good impression.

ali

Great post!

quote downforlife76:

See? An aggressive first post makes a good impression.

I especially liked “YOU WILL REACT THE WAY YOU HAVE TRAINED!!” I’ve used this line myself 🙂 It’s true, too. And I don’t think people realize that enough.

Well thought out, and well written post. I am impressed.

Ali

quote Ali:

I especially liked “YOU WILL REACT THE WAY YOU HAVE TRAINED!!” I’ve used this line myself 🙂 It’s true, too. And I don’t think people realize that enough.

Well thought out, and well written post. I am impressed.

Ali

I hear ya. In the military I saw it over and over again. Units who I would see training at half speed and settling for medeocrity during their battle drills were consistently slow and mediocore in combat. I can’t stress to people enough that when you get into a confrontation, you don’t have time to think unless you plan on losing the fight. If you don’t have a conditioned response to the stimuli you’re going to face when things go bad, you’re going initialy react with the “deer in the headlights” look. If you are strong and resourceful, you can still come out on top, but you’d better hope that your enemy is at leat as unprepared as you!

J-

stevetuna

We’ve had two people from our Krav Maga group who have found ourselves in violent situations where we needed to use our combatives (myself, as a cop, and one of our better students). In both cases, we prevailed. Also, both of us were amazed at how automatic our responses were! We did, indeed, react in exactly the way we trained.

Justin – great posts and great attitude. I won’t be surprised when we’re reading about you going to Phase training.

Haha… Not for a while, Steve. I just started with Krav Maga, so it’s going to take me a bit, but it’s definately something I would like to do.

J-

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: