Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Training away from KM Schools

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    blindfold

I was reading in another thread about the training one person does within the limitations of his area.

Now, my sister is interested in taking KM. The only problem is that she has 2 children and about 150 miles between her and any KM school.

I was telling her about the DVD’s and the books. She seemed rather interested in the whole idea.

I was just wondering what else would be good for her to have. I figured on a wavemaster or bag of somekind, gloves, and hopefully a partner.

I had recommended the Bas DVD’s to help with cardio and some of the punching techniques.

I figured with all of this knowledge trapped in such a small area someone could come up with something I have overlooked.

:dunno:

elgoyo

Re: Training away from KM Schools

The components you came up with are all good. It strikes me that the key item would be a partner to work with. She can work on her cardio to Bas, shadow box, hit a bag but when it comes to working through the techniques you need another person – tough to learn a reality-based system without another real person involved.

Additionally a partner can give you feedback on your form and technique. Frequently when I’m doing a technique it simply doesn’t “feel right” but I can’t quite identify what I’m doing wrong. That’s when another person, be it instructor or partner, comes to the rescue, usually pointing out a simple misstep on my part.

giant-killer

Maybe she can check to see if there are ever any KM seminars nearby that she could attend. Or if she could even make it to Summer Camp or Fall Camp, just so she can get some instruction from an actual KM instructor, in addition to using the books and DVDs. Might be a fun vacation.

blindfold

I didn’t really think of that. I’m sure she would love a vacation with people trying torture her to death. She is very persistent and works.

I also figured that this may be informative to someone who has the same situation.

Thanks for the advice. I will pass it along.

mara-jade

EXCELLENT IDEA GK!thumbsup That’s how I got friend to get into it. She took the self defense seminars at my center whenever she could. She finally got tired of me emailing her I think and now hubby and her are training thererofl2

Blindfold – if your sister can get any certified instruction, even if only a little, it will help her alot.

ElGoyo – Welcome to the forum:wav:

unstpabl1

what kind of training is in her area? There are usually judo classes and their usually cheap. Boxing is readily available. Muay Thai/ mma gyms are prominent every where. There are even hardcore TMA schools around. Look at the Kajukembo show. You can learn basic weapons off vids, seminnars etc. But the most important thing for her is to train. to become and stay fit. Sport type systems will develope the mindset and practicality. Plus with the base krav vids will make sense

Krav isn’t everywhere, but good training is good training

blindfold

She has tried to Judo school that is local and wasn’t happy at all.

She is looking into another school, but I’m not sure what it is.

I think alot of it has to do with time and location.

She has a daughter whose a toddler and she can’t go very far for training. A 30 to 45 minute ride is a little much for her.

I always tell her that she should be glad, 30 to 45 minutes is noraml around here. Traffic is a monster. It takes 30 minutes to get the kids to school and 15 or more to get to work. thumbsup

unstpabl1

quote blindfold:

She has tried to Judo school that is local and wasn’t happy at all.

She is looking into another school, but I’m not sure what it is.

I think alot of it has to do with time and location.

Thats always a big deal. If you find out the reason she didn’t like the judo class, you’ll find out a great deal about her needs and desires on this.

I’d like to say enjoying the class is a good thing, but training isn’t always enjoyable.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: