Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Training in street clothes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    seeq-qc

Hey all
    I have a BOB at home and was leaving to go out to dinner a few nights ago when i got the itch and started to do some basic combatives on ol Robert. Anyways, I wasn’t surprised that there was a feel and performance difference between training in my usually sweat pants or shorts and a tank top vs denim jeans, a long sleeve button up fitted shirt and ankle-high dress boots, but the difference was more than considerable. Kicks lost their sharpness, couldn’t be delivered at the right height, punches lost their sting, uppercuts and elbow strikes especially – range of motion is definitely compromised and it took a lot more work to execute combatives cleanly, meaning that endurance is reduced. It was a bit of an eye opener.

I’d love to hear some other thoughts on this. Has anyone tried working out in street clothes, I mean the clothes you would really be wearing if were out with friends or family and something went down? how much were your strikes affected? Should I be concerned that my combat effectiveness drops off when i’m wearing dress or casual clothes?

Thanks
    CQC

Re: Training in street clothes

Yes I have. We’ve had coat day in the winter where you were required to wear your winter coat just to know what it feels like. I always encourage students to practice combatives in regular clothes outside of the gym just so they know the difference. Especially younger kids who still like saggy jeans or the super tight skater jeans.
    But that’s just more for laughs.

Back to the subject, one thing to consider is when you are going out and decide to practice you are probably in your good clothes that you don’t want to ruin right before leaving the house. In a real situation to hell with the shirt your fighting if the shirt gets ripped take it out on the other guy.

Other then that flexibility can be a problem depending on the clothes you are wearing, it’s best to know what you can or can’t do in certain attire and use what you have available.

But, you should already know that before you have to figure it out in the fight.

kirsten

Its a really good thing to do, especially for LE and Military. I know as a woman, it makes a difference when your shoe shopping… Hmmm… high heels or flats! 🙂

anthony

I agree with Kirsten, it is a great thing to do. I’ve occasionally asked students to show up for class in street or work clothes. Many reluctantly agree but do give in. As much of a hindrance it is, it obviously delivers more reality to the training. (and maybe a ripped open seam or two)

seeq-qc

ok, thanks for the feedback. I will add that scenario to my @home training rotation.

I will probably start devising a few other reality based practice sessions that address everyday situations or scenarios that present a normally overlooked tactical disadvantage.

Thanks all!

Seeq

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: