Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jjester

I’ve been practicing falling backwards, from a squat position, but I’m having trouble doing it correctly. I feel like I’m landing on my tail-bone first and then onto my back. (Maybe I’m just scared to go on my back?) I’ve tried over and over again, but I just can’t seem to do it. (Now I just have a sore bum 🙂 )

So, does anyone have any advice?

satilan

Re: Troubling Falling?

When you practice the fall break, try actively thinking about how both of your arms need to smack the floor to your sides. Now, they need to be almost completely straightened to a degree that would enable you to touch the floor with the entire arm + forearm + hand all at the same time. At the same time, your upper back (in the shoulder blade area) needs to touch the floor. So it’s like one whole unit all touching the floor at the same time with a little extra “smack” from your arms. Try starting on your back and just practicing the position with which you end the fall break, with all three elements of your body touching the floor (i.e. both arms and upper back).

* Don’t forget to keep your chin down facing your chest and your knees bent…
    ** Keep concentrating on the fact that both your arms need to touch the floor entirely with every part of them almost from the shoulders and all the way down to the hands.

Once you master this static position start playing with it, gently rolling you weight towards your legs and towards your upper back… as if doing the last movement of the fall break just before you end up with the prior position. I think this game will give you a better sense of how to break your fall…

kpalena

^^
    could not have said it better myself.

Try to land as flat as possible. It will hurt a lot less than hitting your read end first.

bushwhacker

and always put the back of your head up , try smacking your hands to the floor in just at least 45 degrees.(hope this helps)

freelancer

Good example of fall break here:

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/2014_tang-soo-do-back-break-fall.htm

clfmak

Something I found helpful when learning breakfalls: I learned how to roll before I learned to fall. I think this gets you used to going to the ground in a non-percussive way before learning breakfalls, so you get comfortable with the concept. Learn to do a forward shoulder roll and a backwards roll. One of the drills we would do was to do a backwards roll from the standing position and ending in a standing position, then step forward and repeat, so you end up in the same spot. Over and over again. I got very used to transitioning from ground to standing and vice versa. Another good way to get the basics of breakfalls is to start very close to the ground before attempting anything higher.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: