Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    mariusnc

Hello everyone,
    I’ve been training KM for about 3 months. I enjoy it very much and it has gotten me in much better shape physically and mentally.

My question is: What is the process for a typical class? How much time is spent on fitness, drills, technique? We usually have 60-70 minutes per class.

Thanks.

kirsten

Re: Typical class

Welcome!

Well every instructor is different but that is usually what classes will consist of. As for time spent on each part, it really will depend on not only the instructor but the material for the day, the rate that the students are able to replicate the movements, and if he/she thinks the class needs additional drills, work on abs or etc. Its personalized for each instructor and training center.

Hope that helps a little.

mara-jade

Welcome to the forum!

Here’s a couple of threads that might help some:wav:

http://kmforum.kravmaga.com/showthread.php?t=3164&highlight=warm
    http://kmforum.kravmaga.com/showthread.php?t=3226&highlight=warm

mariusnc

Thank you, I will read those when I have more time.

I understand that a lot of it depends on the instructor. Recently we have spent more time on the actual techniques, which is what I wanted.

stevetuna

Here’s a clip of our typical cardio warm-up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KKcfANweH4

Start slow, though – it’s not as easy as it looks…

mariusnc

quote stevetuna:

Here’s a clip of our typical cardio warm-up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KKcfANweH4

Start slow, though – it’s not as easy as it looks…

Damn, looks like I need to buy another outfit!rofl2

bjelder

Hey Marius-

I am BRAND spankin’ new at this, so take it all with a grain of salt. But for what its worth (again I’ve only taken 2 classes but they have been structured similar).

Start off with 5-10 minutes of jogging/calisthenics, then maybe a game of shoulder tag to get the heart rates up (where you try to tap the other persons shoulder and he tries to avoid it). After that we usually do some straight punches, kicks, etc. This involves us standing in front of the instructor and practicing whatever he wants us to, in front of a mirror. This is followed up with fairly intense drills in pairs. One person holds the pad, the other kicks or punches. There have been a few variants of this (pad holder calls out combos etc) but they get me sweating thats for sure.

That would take us up to about the half hour mark. From there on out we have worked on a few choke defenses (side, front, back, anything really). We partner up again and practice these. Then the instructor would bring in something like elbows or kicks from the ground.

About the last 10 mins of class for us usually involves some creatively sadistic exercise! What we did tonight (and what Ray kicked butt at if I may add) is when one person stands in the middle of a group of 5 other guys. He would put his forehead on about a yard-long stick and spin in circles around it. Somebody would call out his name and present a pad to him, which they would either punch or kick. While they’re doing this, somebody else would jump in with a choke and they’d have to practice getting out of this. Lots of fun but dizzying!

All in all, what I’ve noticed so far is that it’s about half cardio and half technique. The cardio of course incorporates a lot of technique but I have noticed gets your heart pumping a lot more than solely practicing the techniques.

Again, I have only been to a few classes so don’t take this as fact, just my own personal experience. YMMV!

Have fun.

mariusnc

Thanks. Seems like your class is similar to ours.

kirsten

Gotta be fit to stay in the fight!!!

jburtonpdx

The exercise serves lots of purposes… Obviously getting in shape helps you out but there is more to it then that.

Having you all do the techniques and self defense when you are completely shot helps you to understand that these things work under the worst of circumstances. We try to emulate the adrenaline dump where some finer motor function starts to fail (spinning around till your dizzy for example, I also took a small group outside when it was like 5 degrees on Saturday).

Krav Maga instructors as a group tend to be extremely passionate about this stuff, its important to us (and we might also tend to be just a tad sadistic) 😉 but really we just want to get this stuff across to you and make you safer…

devilnuts

🙂 spinning around and getting dizzy would also help simulate having to defend yourself in a barroom situation.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: