Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Krav Maga Videos Use of the Philtrum

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kevinmack
    kevinmack

Re: Use of the Philtrum

Some things I hate about this video:

1. My shirt seems to have shrunk

2. I dont think the word fulcrum really applies to what I am saying.

3. My partners head was too much to the side during the bearhug which is another defense. He should be a little more in front.

coda-vex

Good video Kevin. Thanks.

resqr1

It’s anatomically called the infra-orbital nerve. Been using it for decades. My mom actually used it to throw some scumbag out of her salon 2 days after we showed it to her. Grabbed the back of his head, jammed the blade of her hand under his nose and threw him out. That was 1990 / 91. It’s a great “cheater” spot. :D::D:

t-krav

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for sharing the videos. I have a question about the video on inside defenses. I’ve learned inside defenses with simultaneous counters a little different from how I interpret your technique. I realize the Krav system is a living thing and changes over time. Can you comment on the differences between your demonstration and the way I’ve learned?

Here is how I’ve learned the technique:
    Hands are in the normal fighting position – palms facing attacker, hands 8″ in front of face shoulders width apart, thumbs about inline with eye brows

If attacker throws a left punch I would defend with my right hand, firmly moving my hand toward the attacker and across my centerline (just like your video). The counter attack would be a left straight to the face.

If attacker thows a right punch I would defend with my left handfirmly moving my hand toward the attacker and across my centerline (just like your video). The counter attack would be a right straight to the body, recoil, and right straight to the face.

The clarification I’m looking for is around the defense hand position (where do palms face, height at which their held) and the counter attacks. It looked to me like your counter attack included a right hook.

Just wondering about the nuances and which is the current method.

Thanks again,
    T

kevinmack

1. If you are looking for proper hand position in my videos that would be a bad idea..honestly…my stance tends to fall apart when I teach mainly due to the fact that I am talking to an audience and I talk with my hands alot. That is a fault I have and should be more conscious of. But even though we do have a proper KM fighting stance(outlet stance) the defense is not predicated on it…we do not always have the luxury of defending out of a prepared stance and should train to use our defenses from a variety of positions(hands down,folded,etc,etc). But this pic is the placement I teach.
    http://www.kravmagatilff.be/images/DouiebRichard.jpg

2. The KM defense involves the straight punch like shown but any follow ups are based on what you feel comfortable doing. One of my instructors black belts who trained me always finished his defense with the trap and hook counter and I picked it up from him. As my instructor says “finish as you see fit”

3. While I alway try to learn from the best and inculde new updated techniques in my teaching…I try to keep it old school in regards to my Krav Maga. My school is the continuation of one of the oldest Krav Maga programs in the country. We have Black belts on our mats who have been training since the 80s. So I might not be the best one to go to for new current trands. 😉

t-krav

Thanks for the info Kevin.

I love the idea of finish as you see fit. When doing inside defenses with 2 counters against a right straight I always felt like a right to the body followed by a left hook to the head “felt right” and under pressure I still sometimes fall back to that although we are taught right to the body, trap, and right to the face.

Thanks again,
    T

inky

Fulcrum is what makes sense to me. I had broken my face a few years ago and i have no feeling in my philtrum so if the proper fulcrum at the bend in my neck is not achieved then no matter the pressure i dont drop.

quote KevinMack:

Some things I hate about this video:

1. My shirt seems to have shrunk

2. I dont think the word fulcrum really applies to what I am saying.

3. My partners head was too much to the side during the bearhug which is another defense. He should be a little more in front.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: