Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jjester

My girlfriend and I have been training in Krav for the past semester, and we love training, but we hate using the focus mitts! They’ve stopped feeling so awkward, but one major problem we’ve been having is that our punches slip off the pad. So, there’s been a few times when my fist will slide off the pad and almost hit my girlfriend (not good for the relationship! lol)

Is there anything we can do to prevent our punches from sliding off the pad, or is it one of the dangers of mitt work?

Thanks

Re: Using Focus Mitts

One of the best ways of keeping it safe with the mitts is smacking the other persons hand as they punch at it. This reduces the impact the punch has on your own arms and it almost deflects the punch away from your own face. If that doesn’t do it than you may want to look at larger punch pads; it’s less focused but its safer in that regard.

quote jjester:

My girlfriend and I have been training in Krav for the past semester, and we love training, but we hate using the focus mitts! They’ve stopped feeling so awkward, but one major problem we’ve been having is that our punches slip off the pad. So, there’s been a few times when my fist will slide off the pad and almost hit my girlfriend (not good for the relationship! lol)

Is there anything we can do to prevent our punches from sliding off the pad, or is it one of the dangers of mitt work?

Thanks

freelancer

Using the mitts is a two way street striking the pad and holding it so not only does your aim need to be right, the person holding it has to give you a good target to hit.

If your not hitting the center of the pad but towards the side then the persons hand is going to turn because there is nothing to brace it without a hand behind it. Conversly if the person holding the mitt is moving it you may not make good contact.

Took me a while to get it down too.

don

Agree. Could be targeting, could be feeding/holding, could be a bit of both. I would recommend showing your instructor how you and your g/f do the drills – let him/her evaluate your techniques both as the puncher and as the feeder.

I second meeting the puncher’s fists with the pads when feeding BUT, IMO, it IS a more advanced technique. If done wrong, it can injure the puncher (thumb, wrist, etc). Also, if there is a big disparity in size/strength, be careful not to go too hard when you are punching and she is holding, you can also injure the feeder (elbow, shoulder, etc).

jjester

Thanks for the advice, guys. We’ll give it a try.

jjester

One last question, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced set of mitts for a beginner to buy?

Thanks!

don

quote jjester:

One last question, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced set of mitts for a beginner to buy?

Thanks!

What features are you looking for? E.g. flat or curved, large or small, one hand “pocket” or individually fingered, plain or with target spot, color, outer material, inner material, etc…

Just for example (not saying you need to buy these):

http://www.ringside.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=2424

http://store.titleboxing.com/punch-mitts.html

phlegmon27

I’ll echo Don’s remarks, and get the instructor involved. As a rule, I don’t have L1 students use the focus mitts for just this reason. It takes skill on both sides to use them correctly.

clfmak

If you’re holding them correctly and striking correctly, even if a strike grazes off you shouldn’t be in a position where they can hit you. For example, you wouldn’t hold a mit an inch in front of your face for a straight punch.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: