Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    oasktf

Hello.

I have one doubt, i practice Krav-Maga, and very often this doubt come to my mind.
    In generaL when we train(i am not talking with head protections etc),we simule the counter-attacks, like hammerfist to he head, uppercut to the jaw..etc..
    Example : basic defense from bearhug, with arms free, we do te tecnique to the face, then we simule several counter tacks to he head, etc..

Aren¥t we creating a bad habbit?

In the street we will do the tecnique full-on, or because of the 100 times that we have trained the simulation, we will react with that vice??

What do you think?

i hope you understood my question.

Best regards

stevetuna

Re: Vicious

I get what you’re saying. My experience is that when it’s time to go for real with the kind of techniques that you’re talking about, you will go hard.

May you never need to know! Your training will get you through stressful situations.

greenbeanie

quote :

In generaL when we train(i am not talking with head protections etc),we simule the counter-attacks, like hammerfist to he head, uppercut to the jaw..etc..

Using your example, a boxer shadowboxing would be developing a bad habit. When you are simulating the attacks against your training partner, you are doing controlled targeting. However, I agree with the idea of “How you train is how you will react.” So you do have to make contact at some point just like the boxer. As a matter-of-fact, we were doing that last night. There is much more contact in the upper level classes. You and your training partner decide on just how much contact you want to make, 20% of full power, 50%, etc.

magamike

I think this is a very real weakness in all self-defense training. I train at home with a Century Bob punching dummy to try to deal with this issue. I practice the defense and counter strike techniques (to the extent I can, some obviously don’t work with a rigid dummy) and deliever targeted strikes with knockout power. I also do all Bas Rutten workouts with Bob and pay very close attention to targeting and technique. I have also started using MMA striking training gloves until my hands become sore, then I switch over to 16oz boxing gloves to finish up. I noticed that I was getting sloppy with just using the boxing gloves, but using the smaller MMA gloves tell me if I’m striking correctly because if not it hurts and I can see how I missed. I am hoping that tends to “undo” the habit of pulling or redirecting strikes that the class drills may be encoding into my muscle memory.

Only a full contact street fight would tell you for sure though.

The biggest problem I end up correcting is proper distance. If you get used to only punching/kicking focus mits or pulling your punch 5-7 inches away from your partners face you are not realistically in range to hit your target. I agree with MagaMike if you have access to Bob or any standing bag you should use it when possible to work distance. Another option is to when possible (IE with partners knowledge) punch over your partners shoulder or slightly to the side so you are punching thru your target as apposed to stopping.

Bottom line: If you can work the drills properly in a real fight you’ll use your training.

kirsten

I don’t need to shoot myself with a gun to know it works…. I can shoot pretend bad guys made out of paper. I can shoot a consims attacker with paint rounds… I never said “oh man, I sure hope when I see a real bad guy I will be able to do the same thing..”

I can do KM defenses with good control to know the techniques work too. TRUST me when I say that when its time to go from a “pretend strike” to a real one, you will be just fine as the stress kicks in…

traveler

Good anology! Makes me think of groin kicks- I mean it doesn’t take a whole lot to get that not so great feeling in your stomach- now imagine a full force repetive groin strike- getting quezy thinking about it. We were working on 360 tonight w/simultaneous attack. As I’m executing my offense I could feel my partners exhale on my lower knuckles as he flinched his eyes. At the same time I noticed my fist at approximately 45 angle – I was in complete control and felt extremely comfortable with my stance and technique. I am fully confident that if I needed to go from 0-120 flipping the switch to protect myself that it would not be an issue of pulling punches. I just hope if that day ever comes my cardio will allow me to go 120 % for a prolong period of time. Still working on that.

hemibuck

In my past I have unfortunately had a couple of experiences that my safety was in jeopardy, both before Krav.

One I had to fight for my life with gun involved and second I was choked out with a choke from the front. In both instances I was doing whatever I could do to survive and if I had any Krav skills then I would have used them full on!!!….without a doubt in my mind….no pulling punches or blocks…period!!

If you need to survive you will use the skills you have at full force….trust me…I pray I never have to be in those situations again but I feel confident I will be able to use the KM skills I have learned….at full speed!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: