Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Vick sentenced to 23 months

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Judge says QB hasn’t accepted full responsibilty for dogfighting

Richmond, Va. — Michael Vick was sentenced Monday to 23 months in prison by a federal judge who found the fallen NFL star had not fully accepted responsibility for his conduct in a dogfighting operation.

U.S. District Court Judge Henry E. Hudson said he believed Vick had been less than candid in admitting to killing pitbulls that did not test well as fighting dogs.

The judge also noted that Vick had given contradictory statements to officials regarding his drug use while out on bond. Vick tested positive for marijuana in September shortly after entering a plea agreement.

Vick, wearing a black and white stripped prison jumpsuit, acknowledged to Hudson that he had made some bad decisions.

“I’m willing to deal with the consequences and accept responsibility for my actions,” Vick told Hudson.

After Vick apologized to Hudson, his family and his children, Hudson told him he should also apologize “to the millions of young people who looked up to you.”

Hudson called Vick’s actions “cruel and inhumane” and said Vick played a major role by financing the dogfighting operation.

“You were a full partner and equally culpable,” with his three co-defendants.

Vick also received three years probation.

Under Vick’s plea agreement reached in August, he faced a potential sentence of between 12-18 months in prison but after finding Vick had not accepted responsibility, Hudson said his new guideline range was 18-24 months. Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael Gill asked Hudson to sentence Vick at the high end of that range.

Vick’s role was as serious as any other defendants in this case, Gill told Hudson. He funded the operation and used friends who were “dangerous”and “predisposed” to commit criminal acts Gill said.

“The only thing that makes them more dangerous is unlimited money,” Gill said.

Vick initially denied personally killing any animals and told authorities that Phillips and Peace drown and hanged the dogs. But after prosecutors confronted Vick that his co-defendants said Vick played a more hands-on role in executing the dogs, Vick was given an FBI-administered polygraph test in October. An agent found that Vick was being deceptive. After the end of a five-hour interview, Vick broke down, his defense attorney, Billy Martin, told Hudson.

“If you want me to admit it, I did it all,” Vick told the agent, according to Martin. “I did everything.”

Hudson said Vick finally admitted killing two dogs by drowning and hanging.

Hudson said the court received thousands of letters, most of which condemned dogfighting. He said he also recently received letters on Vick’s behalf from Atlanta mayor Shirley Franklin, George Foreman, Henry Aaron and his pastor.

At the end of the 45-minute hearing, as the gallery filed out of the courtroom Vick sat at the defense table looking disconsolate, resting his chin in his left palm.

The sentence ended an eight month legal odyssey for Vick that saw him go from NFL star and the face of the Atlanta Falcons franchise to a prison inmate. The sentence on federal felony charges means Vick, suspended indefinitely by the NFL, won’t play again until at least 2010. He still faces the league suspension. He has also been indicted in Virginia on state dogfighting charges and faces lawsuits from several banks. The Falcons are awaiting an arbitration ruling in an attempt to recoup $20 million in bonus money paid to Vick.

Vick entered the courthouse prior to 7 a.m. Monday, according to a U.S. Marshall and was unseen by the public.

Vick and three co-defendants entered plea agreements for their roles establishing Bad Newz Kennels, a dogfighting operation run from a house Vick owned in Surry County, Virginia. Vick faced a maximum sentence of five years. Purnell Peace received 18 months and Quanis Phillips received 21 months. Tony Taylor will be sentenced on Friday.

As of 8 a.m. Monday, more than 25 television trucks were parked by the courthouse. Reporters began lining up before 6 a.m. for one of 100 seats in the courtroom. There are also 200 seats in an adjoining courtroom with a live video feed.

Vick, who reported to prison last month, also failed a test for marijuana in September that prompted Hudson to restrict the conditions of his release after a guilty plea and included electronic monitoring and a curfew.

The scene outside the U.S. District Court of the Eastern District of Virginia was already similar to those for other Vick court appearances.

There were supporters and protesters present.

About two dozen animal rights activists were near the courthouse prior to the hearing, some with signs that read “Report Dogfighters!” and “Dogs Deserve Justice.”

“I hope that people who are involved in this bloodsport realize this is a deadend activity with meaningful consequences,” John Goodwin, the manager of animal fighting issues for the Humane Society of the United States, said Monday morning.

There were also several Vick supporters wearing his No. 7 Falcons jersey.

The Atlanta-based New Order Human Rights Organization held a rally Sunday and planned to be in Richmond, according to founder Gerald Rose.

“Michael Vick made a bad mistake,” Rose told the Associated Press. “But at the same time, we believe in second chances. I think God has got Michael Vick’s attention. He’s going to come back a better man.”

“Michael Vick’s federal prison sentencing today is another step in his legal journey,” Falcons owner Arthur Blank said in a statement released by the team. “This is a difficult day for Michael’s family and for a lot of us, including many of our players and fans who have been emotionally invested in Michael over the years.

“We sincerely hope that Michael will use this time to continue to focus his efforts on making positive changes in his life, and we wish him well in that regard.”

Vick’s sentencing hearing comes on the same day the Falcons play New Orleans on Monday Night Football. It’s another turn in a bizarre season for the team, which is just 3-9 without its star quarterback, that has been intertwined with Vick’s legal issues. Vick’s court hearing to enter his plea agreement came on the same day the Falcons played a preseason game against Buffalo. His initial court appearance in the case was the same day the Falcons opened training camp.

“It’s been so tough,” Falcons center Todd McClure told the AJC this week. “My wife knows more than anybody. I go home and vent to her just about every day. It’s the most frustrating season I’ve been involved with because of the chain of events.”

//////////

And on a personal note – this guy makes me sick.

They broke up a local ring in my area and the wife and I have a rescue from it. He is the sweetest most loveable animal I have ever owned. And Iíve had at least 2 dogs my entire life.

Here he is teaching CJ how to nap.

mara-jade

Re: Vick sentenced to 23 months

quote CJs Dad:

Judge says QB hasn’t accepted full responsibilty for dogfighting

Richmond, Va. — Michael Vick was sentenced Monday to 23 months in prison by a federal judge who found the fallen NFL star had not fully accepted responsibility for his conduct in a dogfighting operation.

U.S. District Court Judge Henry E. Hudson said he believed Vick had been less than candid in admitting to killing pitbulls that did not test well as fighting dogs.

The judge also noted that Vick had given contradictory statements to officials regarding his drug use while out on bond. Vick tested positive for marijuana in September shortly after entering a plea agreement.

Vick, wearing a black and white stripped prison jumpsuit, acknowledged to Hudson that he had made some bad decisions.

“I’m willing to deal with the consequences and accept responsibility for my actions,” Vick told Hudson.

After Vick apologized to Hudson, his family and his children, Hudson told him he should also apologize “to the millions of young people who looked up to you.”

Hudson called Vick’s actions “cruel and inhumane” and said Vick played a major role by financing the dogfighting operation.

“You were a full partner and equally culpable,” with his three co-defendants.

Vick also received three years probation.

Under Vick’s plea agreement reached in August, he faced a potential sentence of between 12-18 months in prison but after finding Vick had not accepted responsibility, Hudson said his new guideline range was 18-24 months. Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael Gill asked Hudson to sentence Vick at the high end of that range.

Vick’s role was as serious as any other defendants in this case, Gill told Hudson. He funded the operation and used friends who were “dangerous”and “predisposed” to commit criminal acts Gill said.

“The only thing that makes them more dangerous is unlimited money,” Gill said.

Vick initially denied personally killing any animals and told authorities that Phillips and Peace drown and hanged the dogs. But after prosecutors confronted Vick that his co-defendants said Vick played a more hands-on role in executing the dogs, Vick was given an FBI-administered polygraph test in October. An agent found that Vick was being deceptive. After the end of a five-hour interview, Vick broke down, his defense attorney, Billy Martin, told Hudson.

“If you want me to admit it, I did it all,” Vick told the agent, according to Martin. “I did everything.”

Hudson said Vick finally admitted killing two dogs by drowning and hanging.

Hudson said the court received thousands of letters, most of which condemned dogfighting. He said he also recently received letters on Vick’s behalf from Atlanta mayor Shirley Franklin, George Foreman, Henry Aaron and his pastor.

At the end of the 45-minute hearing, as the gallery filed out of the courtroom Vick sat at the defense table looking disconsolate, resting his chin in his left palm.

The sentence ended an eight month legal odyssey for Vick that saw him go from NFL star and the face of the Atlanta Falcons franchise to a prison inmate. The sentence on federal felony charges means Vick, suspended indefinitely by the NFL, won’t play again until at least 2010. He still faces the league suspension. He has also been indicted in Virginia on state dogfighting charges and faces lawsuits from several banks. The Falcons are awaiting an arbitration ruling in an attempt to recoup $20 million in bonus money paid to Vick.

Vick entered the courthouse prior to 7 a.m. Monday, according to a U.S. Marshall and was unseen by the public.

Vick and three co-defendants entered plea agreements for their roles establishing Bad Newz Kennels, a dogfighting operation run from a house Vick owned in Surry County, Virginia. Vick faced a maximum sentence of five years. Purnell Peace received 18 months and Quanis Phillips received 21 months. Tony Taylor will be sentenced on Friday.

As of 8 a.m. Monday, more than 25 television trucks were parked by the courthouse. Reporters began lining up before 6 a.m. for one of 100 seats in the courtroom. There are also 200 seats in an adjoining courtroom with a live video feed.

Vick, who reported to prison last month, also failed a test for marijuana in September that prompted Hudson to restrict the conditions of his release after a guilty plea and included electronic monitoring and a curfew.

The scene outside the U.S. District Court of the Eastern District of Virginia was already similar to those for other Vick court appearances.

There were supporters and protesters present.

About two dozen animal rights activists were near the courthouse prior to the hearing, some with signs that read “Report Dogfighters!” and “Dogs Deserve Justice.”

“I hope that people who are involved in this bloodsport realize this is a deadend activity with meaningful consequences,” John Goodwin, the manager of animal fighting issues for the Humane Society of the United States, said Monday morning.

There were also several Vick supporters wearing his No. 7 Falcons jersey.

The Atlanta-based New Order Human Rights Organization held a rally Sunday and planned to be in Richmond, according to founder Gerald Rose.

“Michael Vick made a bad mistake,” Rose told the Associated Press. “But at the same time, we believe in second chances. I think God has got Michael Vick’s attention. He’s going to come back a better man.”

“Michael Vick’s federal prison sentencing today is another step in his legal journey,” Falcons owner Arthur Blank said in a statement released by the team. “This is a difficult day for Michael’s family and for a lot of us, including many of our players and fans who have been emotionally invested in Michael over the years.

“We sincerely hope that Michael will use this time to continue to focus his efforts on making positive changes in his life, and we wish him well in that regard.”

Vick’s sentencing hearing comes on the same day the Falcons play New Orleans on Monday Night Football. It’s another turn in a bizarre season for the team, which is just 3-9 without its star quarterback, that has been intertwined with Vick’s legal issues. Vick’s court hearing to enter his plea agreement came on the same day the Falcons played a preseason game against Buffalo. His initial court appearance in the case was the same day the Falcons opened training camp.

“It’s been so tough,” Falcons center Todd McClure told the AJC this week. “My wife knows more than anybody. I go home and vent to her just about every day. It’s the most frustrating season I’ve been involved with because of the chain of events.”

//////////

And on a personal note – this guy makes me sick.

They broke up a local ring in my area and the wife and I have a rescue from it. He is the sweetest most loveable animal I have ever owned. And Iíve had at least 2 dogs my entire life.

Here he is teaching CJ how to nap.

Awww, what an angel – the both of them. This story made me sick from the beginning.This guy had everything and he thought he was above the law. I’d look at our furkids and wanted to cry (small dogs are used as bait). I’m sorry, I have no sympathy who thinks he’s all that, can kill defenseless animals and says he made a mistake. Killing a living thing who can’t defense himself/herself is NOT a mistake – it’s sickening.

Um, I was born in the South Bronx, so I’ve heard all the connotations/stories that comes up with. YOU still have the right to choose, good or bad. Don’t give me this crap you don’t have a choice. I had chances to go bad growing up, but my Mommy raised me the right way.

The sad thing I’ve read is there’s an actual chance this jerkoff might be taken back into the NFL. I hope the commissioner has the sense to ban him for good. Ok – rant over. Sorry – but when it comes to animals this pisses me off something fierce:mad:

lotar

Should have got 23 years, well I hope he gets to be someones bitch , what a wanker !!!!

Craig,

Heh… They should let the dogs go off on him for 20 minutes. If he lives, he can serve his prison sentence.

J-

kmcat

I heard a news report that Paris Hilton had been involved with a dog fighting ring out in rural California near Bakersfield. Except it was with Chihuahuas. There was a pit of them and it was quite gruesome, all of the ferocious dogs running around nipping at each other’s heels.

kmky

“Should have got 23 years, well I hope he gets to be someones bitch , what a wanker !!!!”

I second that – of course I also think they should make him fight for his life at least once a week while he is serving.

jay99

It really is people like this that make you wish the “cruel and unusual punishment” clause had a loop hole. Or could at least be applied when rightfully deserved.

– Sean, that is one of the greatest pictures I have seen in a while! Definitely holiday card material! –

jl

Sean,
    What a lovely picture. You are to be commended for the rescue of such a loving animal. My Business Partner has a beautiful Bull Terrior he named Petee. He looks just like the one in Spanky and Our Gang. (for those of you who are old enough) It refreshes my belief in the justice system when one has to pay for his wrong doing. My heart goes out to the family and friends of Michael Vick who believed in him and were betrayed! JL

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: