Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Video (graphic content): what would you do? Florida school board meeting shooting

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    pointvista

An extremely unfortunate incident. Luckily no one other than the gunman was harmed.

While watching this, I was trying to figure out the best, safest, most efficient way to defuse the situation.

Arguments can be made from all angles. But from a KM technique perspective, what would you do if you are the lady (Ginger) who appeared in the videos below? (around 43 seconds into the video). And what should Gingner have done, given her physical and strength attributes and that of the gunman?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DRgdwy7vvE

Also, do you see any other better opportunities to make a move on the gunman? for example, when he was standing infront of the table talking with the board members, it appeared that he had his hand/gun on the table

second angle:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQjQOlJvMzE

don

Re: Video (graphic content): what would you do? Florida school board meeting shooti

quote pointvista:

An extremely unfortunate incident. Luckily no one other than the gunman was harmed.

While watching this, I was trying to figure out the best, safest, most efficient way to defuse the situation.

What’s your definition of “defuse”?

Arguments can be made from all angles. But from a KM technique perspective, what would you do if you are the lady (Ginger) who appeared in the videos below? (around 43 seconds into the video).

From a KM PRINCIPLE perspective – RCAT. From a Don’s favorite techniques library (all 2 books) – hit him with a brick when he’s not looking.

And what should Gingner have done, given her physical and strength attributes and that of the gunman?

IMO, there is no “should”. There are “coulds”. She Could have chosen to not engage. She Could have run away. She Could have called 911 and been a good witness. She Could have used a Quart Of Blood or Flying Monkey Kick technique. ETC.

IMO, that lady had the heart/courage of a LIONESS! No training, no experience, no physical attributes for fighting, no skills, no coordination, no Nothing YET she risked EVERYTHING in an attempt to save the lives of those board members. She deserves a medal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DRgdwy7vvE

Also, do you see any other better opportunities to make a move on the gunman? for example, when he was standing infront of the table talking with the board members, it appeared that he had his hand/gun on the table

How long do you think it takes for someone, with his hand/gun on a table, to simply lift it up and pull the trigger? How much distance could you cover in that time period (not just close the gap but ALSO perform a technique)?

second angle:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQjQOlJvMzE

embedded

bradm

Re: Video (graphic content): what would you do? Florida school board meeting shooti

Great repy Don. I was wondering if she, or someone else, had been trained in 3rd party protection if they could have disarmed the guy. As far as defusing the situation, I think the board members done a very good job of trying to defuse.

kvmorl

I was incredibly relieved when I heard no one was hurt in this incident, death/injury was very, very close to those people. Thank God.

I attend board meetings regularly here in central florida and been in that setting many times, they are very lucky they had their chief of security in the building and armed, he was also former police officer, didn’t hesitate and was accurate shooting.

In most of these administrative buildings here in FL you’ll be lucky to have 1 armed security within 10miles range.

I have never felt secure in a high visible target with daily disgruntled patrons in and out, especially in this economy/job market, now after this, even less.

don

quote BradM:

I was wondering if she, or someone else, had been trained in 3rd party protection if they could have disarmed the guy. As far as defusing the situation, I think the board members done a very good job of trying to defuse.

This particular BG wasn’t very tactically sound and I definitely believe the opportunities were there. I think if Ginger had used something else to hit his arm or had hit him somewhere else, he might have dropped the gun. Even though he didn’t drop the gun, she created a great opportunity for any of the boardmembers, especially the one in the red jacket, to attack as well (when the BG turned his back on them).

Other than Ginger, I think the blonde lady with the white sweater had a great opportunity to attack the BG, when he was ordering who to stay and who to leave. She was in very close proximity to the BG and he had already filed her into his “no threat” category.

Hard to say what else could have been done – video was edited and it’s hard to tell angles, distances, etc. Getting up out of a comfy chair takes time and can be tough to do non-telegraphically, especially if you’re older. Attacking/doing a gun takeaway across a large boardroom desk would be pretty tricky as well.

I also think the board members were doing a great job of communicating with the BG, right up until the point where one of them sets the BG off by ASSuming he knows what the BG wants and starts talking about the BG wanting to die by suicide by cop, etc. I’m sure if he could hit the re-do button, he probably wouldn’t have (even if he was right in his ASSumptions) reminded the BG of what the BG came there to do… ;):

bradm

Good Point.

kvmorl

One thing for sure that lady had balls like no other there, what a firecracker.

In other reports I have read, the complete incident took I believe 6min and by the time the 911 call ended the BG had already shot himself. Their chief of security was not supposed to be there either, he was dropping in to check on a gift donation program he had initiated or managed for children. One of the things he commented in his press conference was that he was very concerned he just shot someone in the back probably going to jail and what would people think of him now because he was known as the Santa, he was taken to hospital after due to hart rate. Great stand up guy. Those people, at least a few definitely are still here because of him.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: