Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics "Warrior" Krav-Maga. Is it KMW?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    zxd

I just wanted to know if anyone had heard of “warrior” Krav Maga which is offered at many ATA locations and uses the belt system The program was started by Chief Master William Clark. Does anyone know if masyer Clark has Krav Maga credentials? Do other Krav associations (such as the KMW) honor “warrior” Krav Maga? Thanks.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: "Warrior" Krav-Maga. Is it KMW?

I don’t know him personally but he has all the KMW marketing materials on his website so he’s probably a KMW licensee.

shinfucius

My question may be more suited for a different thread, but “warrior” KM, which is a KMW licensee, is conducting their own instructor certifications and certifying people. I doubt this is equivalent to KMW (as some of the techniques look slightly different…some, obtained from other systems, and they are certifying people with no prior experience with KM after a couple of days). But would this be acceptable to KMW, since they are still under the KMW banner?

zxd

Right, for example if one acchieved an orange belt in this program, would it be honored at another school such as a KMW school. Also, I was wondering, how do you know they are KMW. Thanks again.

shinfucius

I doubt it. Their rank system is based on their taekwondo style rank system. And their curriculum appears to be different.

They are listed on the KMW locations page (under Karate America).

zxd

Not to question, but how do you know they use a Taekwondo belt ranking system and not the Judo belt ranking system. Are you assuming that just because they are located at ATA locations or did you get that infirmation elsewhere, also, did you see the curriculum? How did it appear different?
    Thanks again for the help.

zxd

quote shinfucius:

I doubt it. Their rank system is based on their taekwondo style rank system. And their curriculum appears to be different.

They are listed on the KMW locations page (under Karate America).

Not to question, but how do you know they use a Taekwondo belt ranking system and not the Judo belt ranking system. Are you assuming that just because they are located at ATA locations or did you get that infirmation elsewhere, also, did you see the curriculum? How did it appear different?
    Thanks again for the help.

shinfucius

I know some who are part of that organization and who have gone through their certification & seminars. They are not just located there…they ARE the locations, offering warrior as a licensed KMW school (e.g. an outside KM instructor is not going there and renting the floor while offering a separate program; the TKD instructors there are teaching & offering the programs). I did see a little bit of the curriculum (but you can also see some of the videos online). Some of it looks similar to KMW (but does not strictly adhere to the main teaching points), while at times it looks like CKM or even Keysi fighting method.

zxd

quote shinfucius:

I know some who are part of that organization and who have gone through their certification & seminars. They are not just located there…they ARE the locations, offering warrior as a licensed KMW school (e.g. an outside KM instructor is not going there and renting the floor while offering a separate program; the TKD instructors there are teaching & offering the programs). I did see a little bit of the curriculum (but you can also see some of the videos online). Some of it looks similar to KMW (but does not strictly adhere to the main teaching points), while at times it looks like CKM or even Keysi fighting method.

Cool, thanks for the info. Where did you get info on their belt system?

bradm

I stopped training in Krav a few years back and haven’t been on the forum in sometime. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I started training KMW at a ATA school in GA. At that time, the instructors had gone to CA and got certified by KMW. They did not use their ATA Taekwondo belt system when I trained with them. They used the KMW system for level promotions. We did not wear belts in Krav class. Like I said, its been a while since I’ve trained in Krav, I don’t know if they’ve changed or not.

pacbrim

Erick Alfaro, is the head instructor of Warrior Krav Maga, he got certified under Darren Levine’s KMW and also Kelly McCann. The Jacksonville headquarters is a KMW licensed location. I’m a level 2 Orange Belt in Warrior Krav Maga. I’ve also trained in Haganah and KMW, and some unaffiliated Krav Maga.

Warrior Krav Maga, as well as their Warrior Combat Kali (Pekiti Tirsia Kali), Warrior Kick Boxing and Warrior X-Fit are ATA specific taught in addition to ATA Songahm Taekwondo. WKM does in fact use the 9 belt system of ATA TKD. The 5 levels of KMW is distributed over the 9 levels of ATA TKD, also techniques taught in the TKD program aren’t covered in WKM. For example the wrist releases that are in level 1 KMW aren’t in WKM because they are covered in ATA TKD. WKM is a supplementary program to the ATA TKD training it’s not meant as a standalone. It’s geared toward ATA TKD student retention. It can be used efficiently as a stand alone but it is not a duplicate of WKM from my experience they do teach KMW for the most part. They do less BJJ style grappling. In levels 1-3 they only cover the trap and roll escape and getting up from the ground and don’t cover moving on the or kicking on the ground as much. Levels 1-3 in WKM is a summary of Levels 1-2 of KMW minus moves that are taught in ATA TKD from my observation. They want to stand up and fight and avoid going to the ground. They do start grappling more in the intermediate and advance levels. The training drills are essentially KMW.

WKM is good for self defense and a standalone martial art however done by itself it’s not the full KMW curriculum. It does teach self defense and utilizes a lot of the KMW curriculum.

Not all ATA schools use WKM. Some are KMW affiliated instructors or other KM organizations, some ATA offer KM, Kali, and/or Gracie JiuJitsu to aide in student retention. When they do its meant as a supplement to the ATA TKD program not necessarily as stand alone programs.

Hopefully that helps.

If you look up Warrior X-Fit on Vimeo or Warrior Krav Maga you can see the Level 1-3 self defense moves, or if you look up warrior broadcast network yoou can find out more, or Warrior Krav Maga Jacksonville.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Thank you for the clarification, it makes a lot more sense now.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: