Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Watch out for neck injuries!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    satilan

Hi guys,
    I seem to have injured my neck during KM training.
    A couple of weeks ago, I got chocked with a rear naked choke.
    It got a little out of hand and my neck produced a small “crack” sound – not to mention the shrinking visual field and inhability to breath.
    Since it’s not the first time I got chocked like that during a sparring session, I shrugged it off and continued training; I even took 3-4 more classes after that. But then, about a week and half after that specific incident, I started noticing a weird tingling sensation in my left hand.
    I also started experiencing neck and shoulder stiffness and pain that did not go away (still have it).

At the beginning I thought I just slept wrong, but after a while it became clear that this is not just a stiff neck. It gradually it got worse and worse and after a couple of days it covered all of my palm and not only my fingers. Weirded out by this, I made an appointment with a neurologist. Now, you know how expert doctors are, always so booked? Yeah, it took me about two weeks to get to my appointment, and good thing too – because I had time to learn a lot about my symptoms.

I learned that by moving my head to certain positions, I get tingling/numbness in different parts of my hand, back, and foot, all on the left side. My doctor told me that it looks like something called a “cervical spine injury” that often occurs in contact sports. He insisted, no more Krav Maga, for a whileeeee. :(: It seems like I got a nerve or some collections thereof, pinched by tight muscles… causing weird sensations along my hand.

I think I am slowly getting better, it is back to being only my fingers and the frequency it spreads to my palm and foot is declining, I think. Tomorrow I’m going to physical therapy, wish me luck!

I don’t intend to whine, just thought I’d share and say:
    SAFETY FIRST
    Be really careful when you train, especially with chockes and sparring.
    Also, be attentive to your partner and keep him/her safe.
    If they tap out, let them go on time!
    And don’t brave it, tap out before your arm starts to tingle in the shower!!!

kevin-mack

Re: Watch out for neck injuries!

It sounds like a cervical disc herniation.Depending on which nerve the herniation is effecting you will feel the tingling down either the right or left arm.
    I had a really bad one and suffered through 2-3 months of the most severe pain I have ever experienced…the nerve impingment cause muscle atrophy in my right pec,tricep and upper forearm.I lost all the muscle and it took me more than a year to build it back up.Once its hurt there is not much to do about it except anti-inflammatories and the worst case is surgery.
    Suffice it to say that I am very nervous and scared when I train and I will only spar with a few people that I trust.
    Good luck.

satilan

quote Kevin Mack:

It sounds like a cervical disc herniation.Depending on which nerve the herniation is effecting you will feel the tingling down either the right or left arm.
    I had a really bad one and suffered through 2-3 months of the most severe pain I have ever experienced…the nerve impingment cause muscle atrophy in my right pec,tricep and upper forearm.I lost all the muscle and it took me more than a year to build it back up.Once its hurt there is not much to do about it except anti-inflammatories and the worst case is surgery.
    Suffice it to say that I am very nervous and scared when I train and I will only spar with a few people that I trust.
    Good luck.

Hey,
    Thanks for the reply.
    How did it happen to you? From a choke?

kevin-mack

I was training for a jiu jitsu comp and my training partner was kind of an asshole and he had his knee on my sternum and pulled both my arms forward while pressing down with his knee then it happened. I did sweep him though but once I was on top the pain came on and I ran to the bathroom and curled up in a ball.

miriam

quote Satilan:

I don’t intend to whine, just thought I’d share and say:
    SAFETY FIRST
    Be really careful when you train, especially with chockes and sparring.
    Also, be attentive to your partner and keep him/her safe.
    If they tap out, let them go on time!
    And don’t brave it, tap out before your arm starts to tingle in the shower!!!

Satilan:

That STINKS! I sincerely hope you heal well and heal quickly.

And for what it’s worth – you’re not whining; you’re giving good advice that I really don’t think is mentioned enough.

It’s unfortunate that (some, not all) people need to be reminded to train safely, not really for themselves so much, but rather for the people with whom they train. Of course, accidents happen. Anyone who knows me, knows that my worst injury was due to my own failure to move properly/safely. But accidents aside, no one should be working in a manner that puts their partner at risk. If you or anyone else out there ever feels the slightest bit uneasy about the way someone is working with them, STOP and politely address the situation. It’s just not worth the pain, let alone the time and cost in recovery and out of training. Believe me… IT SUCKS BIG TIME!!! (can I say that without having to use $&@&???)

satilan

quote Miriam:

Satilan:

That STINKS! I sincerely hope you heal well and heal quickly.

And for what it’s worth – you’re not whining; you’re giving good advice that I really don’t think is mentioned enough.

It’s unfortunate that (some, not all) people need to be reminded to train safely, not really for themselves so much, but rather for the people with whom they train. Of course, accidents happen. Anyone who knows me, knows that my worst injury was due to my own failure to move properly/safely. But accidents aside, no one should be working in a manner that puts their partner at risk. If you or anyone else out there ever feels the slightest bit uneasy about the way someone is working with them, STOP and politely address the situation. It’s just not worth the pain, let alone the time and cost in recovery and out of training. Believe me… IT SUCKS BIG TIME!!! (can I say that without having to use $&@&???)

Thank you for your support.
    Don’t get me wrong, I do not blame the person with which I was sparring, I feel like it is my own fault.

clfmak

The neck is one of those things you always want to err on the side of caution with.

kmman

We only have one neck and it’s sorta connecting some important parts of our body so that’s pretty good advice.

One of my first classes I got choked from front and had pain for a few days. I was worried there was damage but waited it out and it got better. Felt like a bad sore throat for a few days. Truthfuly, I was scared because I was very unsure of what it was.

Cant blame my partner, he was just listening to the instructor say “dont massage his neck, choke him” but with me being so new I wasnt anticipating that.

kvmorl

I agree and always restrain myself greatly when doing any strike, move, choke ect… Even if my instructor is saying “be aggressive” I sometimes reply get me a bag. I know i can injure someone if not careful due to size/weight difference. We are all adults in class and I have in mind we all work and most have families to support. First week of Krav i took out a partner for a week with a choke defense followed by a knee strike, I did not realize how close his body was and even though I did not intended on striking him the move itself injured one of his ribs. I felt horrible specially knowing it was my inexperience that led to that.

Sparring with full pads is one of the few exceptions I will put aggressiveness with partner.

unstpabl1

I work a side job carrying at least 60lbs unbalanced on both shoulders over hill and dale for anywhere between 4-6 hours. Caddies know about neck and shoulder pain. I had the whole left side of my body go numb and my vision impinge one time. Thought I was having a stroke. It was a pinched nerve, but scared the crap outta me.

FWIW you may want to find a good chiro. I get it in the neck sometimes and get everything from migraines to to pain that shoots down into the whole back and arm. Another buddie gets it shooting to his brain. Its easy for the nerves to get impinged and our backs are always knotted and constantly contracted and expanded. Same thing happens while training

The chiro usually does trigger point therapy and an adjustment and I’m better in the next few days or at least a couple sessions later. As amazing as it seems the stroke thing was fine in the morning and required only one session. You may want to look into that instead of just taking anti-inflamitories. BTDT

I know you train at KMSO, if you don’t have a chiro I have one down the street. I really like him and he’s very reasonable. He doesn’t have the big office nor all the secretaries. its a one guy shop. He’s a matial artist as well. Lima Lama and Tai Chi and some escrima.If you’d like the info PM me. Give him a call and explain the injury see what he says and how you feel about it. Doesn’t cost anything. I’ve gone in there when I couldn’t even lay down on the table. One shoulder blade was 2 inches off the ground when i layed flat on my back. Few days later I was fine

Anyway its an option to explore. Get well soon

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: