Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Ways to fight exhaustion

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    joeyc

Im having a lot of trouble fighting hard for over like 3 min. I was breathing decently but im not sure why i get so tired so fast. Is there anything i might be forgetting to do that leads to me being so exhausted so fast?

paragon

Re: Ways to fight exhaustion

Some of the more experienced people will give you a better answer…but I can tell you that it takes time to build up the endurance. Being very strong means nothing; it doesn’t translate to endurance.

A couple of times we have done 4 minutes “freestyle” against a pad–I’m beat by minute 3. I can make 4, but my performance suffers.

When you go to the gym, you can start to work on your endurance.

parishd

Just my 2 cents…

Fighting hard requires good anaerobic endurance; how far/long can you push into your anaerobic zone and, in a multi-round event, how quickly you can recover between rounds. This is a bit different than aerobic endurance. IMO, the only real way to improve anaerobic fitness/endurance is to routinely push yourself well into and beyond your anaerobic threshold through interval training. At this point you are no longer exercising simply for good health, but rather sacrificing some of your health for the sake of performance.

I have pretty good aerobic endurance (before starting KM I was rowing 75 min/day, 6 days/week just below my anaerobic threshold and about once every 2-3 weeks at or slightly above my anaerobic threshold), but by the end of our all-out, interval punching drills, I am totally exhausted, struggling to get my heart rate back down, and gasping for breath. It never seems to get any easier, but each week I can hit a little harder and for a little longer.

susie

I found this in another thread a while ago about how to prepare for testing. This drill has helped build my and DH endurance a lot in the past few weeks as we look forward to our level one test on June 6th.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Tabata-Any…Gain&id=348486

lcash

Another aspect is something I have noticed in new fighters. They move around too much. When I am sparing with a newbie I am almost standing still and just pivoting and a little side to side to keep them off balance. They on the other hand are moving around quite a bit all over the room and tucker out quite quickly. Most of them are in better aerobic shape that I am as I am still overwieght by about 50 lbs but in a sparing match I can outlast them simply by watching my movements and not dancing all over. I make my movements count and eliminate any movement that is not necessary.

Lcash

joeyc

wow thanks guys all of you had great tips. keep them coming. +rep

ruger45

I would agree with most. IMO… its all on the amount of reps. I would think, the more you do it the longer you will be able to go in the long run. That’s what has worked for me and few others in my class. Goodluck! thumbsup

nixxon

Tired as in how? Muscle fatigue?

Adrenaline tends to wear people out faster than they normally would when performing different types of exercises (ex: rowing).

Also alot of people tend to THINK they are breathing when in fact they are taking short and gasping breaths. The best advice is to calm down, focus on your opponent, don’t bounce around like a boxer and project your movements.

Bas Rutten CD’s also help for overall fight conditioning. While being conditioned in the normal way (running, swimming, cycling) nothing prepares you better for fighting then fighting. Bag work will help tremendously.

Also watch your diet, lack of carbs and protein and water will definetly cause you to fatigue earlier.

jonj480

I have found that in our fight classes, I was burning myself out too early in the class. We typically will have about 45-50 minutes of focus mitt, thai pad, or ground techniques followed by sparring the last 15 minutes or so of class. By going all-out on the mitts in the first part of class, I found that I exhausted before we even started sparring!

Again, this is only my two cents, but I began to treat the beginning of class as my opportunity to really focus on my techniques and accuracy and stop trying to KO the focus mitts for 45 minutes. This has helped me to be nice and warmed up, have a good sweat going, but not be exhausted by the time we begin sparring, and has helped me to stop taking shots to the head that I wouldn’t have taken if I wasn’t so tired.

This is only for fight/sparring classes, for bag workouts and Krav, I take a much different approach and try to go all out the whole time in order to increase my endurance long term. I could be totally off base, but I have found that this worked for me when I was confronted with a similar dilemma. It is very difficult to improve your fighting vision if you are so exhausted every time you spar that all you can do is put your hands up and cover. I remember one particular ground class where we were sparring and I was praying for a tight enough guard that I could hold my partner close and not take any more abuse because I was so exhausted from the rest of the class. I was sooooo tired, I had no thoughts of reversing, sweeping, bucking, anything…. just watching the clock and holding on, LOL.

quote Lcash:

Another aspect is something I have noticed in new fighters. They move around too much. When I am sparing with a newbie I am almost standing still and just pivoting and a little side to side to keep them off balance. They on the other hand are moving around quite a bit all over the room and tucker out quite quickly. Most of them are in better aerobic shape that I am as I am still overwieght by about 50 lbs but in a sparing match I can outlast them simply by watching my movements and not dancing all over. I make my movements count and eliminate any movement that is not necessary.

Lcash

I just had my first class tonight, and I have to say that I am definitely guilty of that. I was also beat by the middle of most of the workouts. thanks for the tip man

garddawg

JoeyC,
    I went to the University of Redlands for a couple of years, and my sister in law has worked in the Yucipa school district for 20+ years.

You are about an hour and half a way from my location. If you want to make the drive some Saturday, I would be happy to introduce you to how we train. It is a little different than what you will find in a regular gym.

joeyc

quote garddawg:

JoeyC,
    I went to the University of Redlands for a couple of years, and my sister in law has worked in the Yucipa school district for 20+ years.

You are about an hour and half a way from my location. If you want to make the drive some Saturday, I would be happy to introduce you to how we train. It is a little different than what you will find in a regular gym.

wow really? whats your sisters name?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: