Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Personal Gear Discussion Weak kicking technique

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    seraphs-coal

Greetings all,

As a novice Krav student I am finding that I am beginning to get some of the techniques down but feel that my kicks lack any real power. Admittingly at this stage my concern has been more to make sure the technique is correct, but I do feel that I am not getting the power in the kicks that I would like. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what your experience was in solving it? Is Weight training the calves and other leg muscles likely to make any difference?

Re: Weak kicking technique

Hello Seraphs

Are you working with an instructor our studying on your own? I find many people lack power initially due to not pushing their hips forward when kicking. As far as weight training I would suggest focusing more on your core. most of the power in your punches, knee strikes, and kicks generate a lot of power from the core.

Train hard and be safe,

seraphs-coal

Cheers mate,

I am working with an instructor in group training, I brought this up during our class and it was suggested that its important that the other knee be locked in place correctly and that the technique comes over time, suffice to say I already feel that its improving a little. I think you have it in one when you suggest that its the core training that is where its at, that is good advice and I will be taking that on board!

orange-age

I’m 61 years old, and kicking takes much effort for me at this age. Fortunately I have Instructors that take time and show me where effectively a lot of my kicks would go. I was happy when I found out it was not that necessary for an old timer like me to try a round house the upper body. They showed me how to aim for the groin which is very important and lower body parts. A few years ago I could not kick or roundhouse anything. Now due to their patience, they have revealed that I have some devastating defenses in my old knees and legs

splatcat

Hi Seraphs,

Since it’s been 3-4 months since your original post, I’m HOPING that you’ve seen marked improvement – but I wanted to throw this (fairly minor tip) out there, not just for you, but for others who might stumble across this thread & find it helpful. Weight training can absolutely be helpful, but I’ve (personally) found the biggest improvements from two things:

1 – Gaining flexibility in “peripheral” muscles/subsystems. oglenewinkel’s suggestion to focus on your core is a very good one, but I’d respectfully suggest that (if you haven’t already) you also take a look at whether tightness in hip flexors, lower back & gluteal muscles could be hindering your range of motion. Often, it’s merely that we’re using muscles that we haven’t used in years (or using them in ways that we haven’t done in years).

2 – This one is related to the bit above, but it’s also worth checking if one muscle group of a pair (think biceps/triceps, back/abs, quads/hamstrings) are noticeably stronger than the other. If that’s the case, then (from what I’ve heard/read) the body will effectively “throttle down” the abilities of the stronger muscle so as to avoid injury.

Now be aware that I’m not an expert of any kind, I’ve merely been a student (if you will) of physical performance for a number of years, so I would absolutely encourage you & everyone else to do your own research. This is merely information that I’ve picked up over time that I feel could be useful and/or relevant to your original post. I hope it proves helpful.

alice

Can somebody can tell some techniques for girls for the protection purposes… especially for those girls who remain in their homes…

seraphs-coal

Thanks to all that responded, its a mixed result, yet I have seen improvement, I am not satisfied with it though, but realize that the only way is by repetition. I am realizing that I have some issues simply with being uncoordinated, the strength is definitely there, but my confidence and execution is not, I feel way more comfortable with the punching style exercises than the kicking ones.

I have decided two things, one is as above to continue the practice by repetition. The second is that I am looking at going and take some lessons at the local Taekwondo club which there are a plethora of near here. My thoughts are that TKD has a stronger focus on kicking and plenty of older people do it and seem to be able to master it well. In one sense I would rather just continue with Krav, but age has taught me that when you encounter a problem action has to be taken to solve it or it will not go away and I will not progress in Krav until I have dealt with this. So I am planning to go and try this option and see how it goes.

coda-vex

Hip drive is really import in all kicks. Hip drive can be limited by strength, flexibility and usually both. Lack of coordination can be helped with repetition but with strength as well. Squats (unloaded or “air” squats) really help to activate your hips and build strength and flexibility when done properly.

watsonedwin

quote Orange Age:

I’m 61 years old, and kicking takes much effort for me at this age. Fortunately I have Instructors that take time and show me where effectively a lot of my kicks would go. I was happy when I found out it was not that necessary for an old timer like me to try a round house the upper body. They showed me how to aim for the groin which is very important and lower body parts. A few years ago I could not kick or roundhouse anything. Now due to their patience, they have revealed that I have some devastating defenses in my old knees and legs

All the people who are above 60 find it difficult to do kick and therefore I suggest you to use senso shoes while doing kick as my grand father also use these shoes while doing kick as these shoes are very comfortable to wear and are strong and durable so while doing kick you don’t have to put too much pressure and can do kick with relaxation.To know more see at:http://www.designerforum.com.au/categories/shoes.html

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: