Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Weapon defense is fun !!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    lions2011

i never thought I would ever enjoy weapon defense. I always thought it was for Police or military guys. I am 100 percent wrong. Very fun and enjoyable and I encourage anybody to try it.

I only went to 4 gun defense classes so I hardly know anything and this may take until the end of next year until I pull the moves off.

Some of the gun moves.
    Gun from the side, back, front, stomach, in front of arm, behind arm, in mount, lying on your stomach, execution style.

Hard stuff.

STill have not tried knife defense yet. I think I am going to wait on knives for a few more months.
    My brain can only absorb so much.

lions2011

Re: Weapon defense is fun !!!!

In fact I am wrong on just about everything. I really enjoy bear hug defense and find it very important to know.

As one black belt told me 6 months ago here. ” talk less and train more”

I enjoyed weapons defenses as well. I hadn’t progressed, and we didn’t have any Force Instructors where I was, but I really enjoyed rifle/shotgun defense and offense when I was in the Marine Corps.

lions2011

To Jimmy. Sorry if this question puts you on the spot.
    How long was your training in the Marines for hand to hand fighting and did you learn the famous “throat chop”.
    Also do you consider the US rangers to be more elite than the marines or not.

8 years, Infantry. Got through brown belt curriculum but due to a concussion sustained during testing I was unable to complete my brown belt test. As far as “throat chopping” goes, we learned throat strikes but more of an interrupt strike, as well as some strikes to the sides and back of the neck, but I’m not sure of what exactly you’re talking about.
    Comparing Rangers to Marines are really apples and oranges. Do they get better equipment and training? Probably. Could Marines perform their mission? Yes. Could they perform ours? Unknown. We’re more of a sustained expeditionary force specializing in amphibious maneuver warfare with an emphasis on speed and violence; operating in self contained joint Navy-Marine Corps expeditionary units with our own indirect fire and close air support assets. Capturing territory is only a means to an end for us, we’re not trained, organized or equipped to occupy locations long-term. Can we do it? Sure, but its not our operational style. Forcible entry into a theater of operations and the annihilation of the enemy’s will to fight is our end. Or it was my end until I got out last year.

lions2011

Ok thanks . I am just doing one weapon class per week to try to slowly absorb this in little bits and pieces. Also are level 4-5 class is taught in the afternoon and is hard to attend.

So far i am struggling but i found a new weapon. I started watching Jarrett Walderman videos on youtube and this helps. He is a top krav expert out of LA.

Funny if I was able to strip somebody’s gun i would have no idea what to do with it since i have never shot a gun in my life. Maybe next year or in two years i should take a weapon gun class and learn how to.

Go to a local range and try it out. Realize that proficiency with a firearm is very similar to proficiency in Krav: it doesn’t occur overnight. Go to a range and give it a try. Start with 9mm and have fun! 22LR is the cheapest, 9mm is a bit more realistic. My advice is to school yourself up in the basic nomenclature of firearms and just browse pictures of them-key things to look for are safeties, magazine releases and an indication as to whether the firearm is hammer or striker fired. Don’t wait. Doesn’t take much, and it goes right into your training already there. Somebody on the street will be able to tell whether or not you know what you’re doing, and if you have the conviction to follow through with what you say you will do.

lions2011

ok Thanks Jimmy but I may first try out a class . This will not be until later next year but thanks.
    How often do you train in krav or other things these days.

lions2011

Krav MAga will always be my favorite and base martial arts. I do krav 4 times a week and I have been doing Muay Thai twice a week.
    I may add on BJJ in the summer but Krav will be my base.
    My goal is too get my Green belt next summer in Krav.

Anyways tonight I play tennis.

lions2011

Fun but very complex and I feel like a total idiot most of the time. I am not going to quit.
    I am just really struggling with weapon defense it seems.

I really think you’re packing too much in there. Cut out MT or Krav and develop an almost purist base in one before you expand to include another.

kmyoshi

So is your “gun defense class” part of what you’re being taught in your level 2/3 class curriculum or is it an actual class/course just dedicated to gun defense?

lions2011

Gun and knife defense is part of level 4-5 curriculum. I am only a level 2-3 student but they allow us to go to the advanced class. I am going to try to get in 2 hours per week starting in Jan.
    Weapon defense is more complex than just throwing elbows or crosses but i think important.

unstpabl1

quote TacticalTimmy:

I really think you’re packing too much in there. Cut out MT or Krav and develop an almost purist base in one before you expand to include another.

fWIW, it really doesn’t make sense to take MT and krav from a practicality POV. Yes you can learn some clinch work and get some good sparring/conditioning in. And maybe you want to compete with rules. But krav’s stand up structure is similar enough not to warrant the expense. Plus krav uses more movement, has a multiple opponent focus and is “usually” better instructed

I felt like having some MT in my background was a good thing, as I was familiar with some of the finer points (by no means an expert) of punches, knees, elbows, and their technically correct delivery. Taking them at the same time, I have mixed feelings. If you’re packing your mind full of that and wearing your body out doing both, it leaves little for work and fun/family time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: