Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Weapons on Dead vs. Live side ??

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    lions2011

I assume the live side is your “Heart side”. Are the defenses the same for live and dead side or completely different.

I am going to start level 4. I saw some videos with the dead and live side for long range 2 handed weapons and wonder if things change for dead or live side.

Thanks.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: Weapons on Dead vs. Live side ??

You’re about to start L4 and you don’t know what live vrs dead side is? The live side is the position in which the attacker/opponent has full view of all your limbs and can attack your front. The dead side would be closer to your back (or side) or any position in which the attacker/opponent cannot utilize the optimal strikes. The live side is the most dangerous side and most advantagous for your attacker. The dead side is safer and more advantageous for your counters.

Its not weapons training spacific. If you throw a left jab and I counter and move to 2:00 I am now on your dead side.

jl

Thank you to CJ’s Dad for expaining (correctly) what the dead v. live sides are, creating a dead side, etc. I do wonder however how a L4 student missed this in his previous training. Makes me a little curious about his training or his memory!

tzrider

quote JL:

I do wonder however how a L4 student missed this in his previous training. Makes me a little curious about his training or his memory!

I’m holding out hope that he merely described it badly.

mara-jade

Lions didn’t state his situation quite right. His school is allowing lower level students into the higher level classes is what he posted elsewhere:dunno:

Love the explanation on dead vs live side-thanks!:wav:

lions2011

Sorry I did not explain it good. I am a level 2-3 student who just started Level-4 so I know nothing.

My bad. poor explanation.

Thanks Don and CJ’s Dad :beer:

kirsten

Your instructor, Lynn is a KMWW Black Belt, Police Officer and former SWAT Sgt. Just ask him for clarification. He is more than able to help you understand this and incorporate our Bas Rutten Systems movement drills and pivots into it. It will help you work on taking advantage of the Live/Dead side in an attacker and minimize your own risk by not allowing your Dead side to be exploited.

mara-jade

Hey Kirsten!

Nice to see you-long time no see. Hope things are well with you and Oneness:wav:

lions2011

LYNN is a great instructor. Extremely intelligent and all around nice guy. Plus he does a super job of breaking down the technique. Good man. We also have another superb instructor named Tim. He is a black belt too and is amazing at breaking down the technique. Plus they both bring super high energy to every class which feeds off of me.
    I am happy that Krav has such high standards for instructors.

Sounds like your school is great too . Your in Eugene right.

leejam99

live side is where there’s more treat/weapons. so in long gun defense, it’s the side where the butt is (the gun).

and yes the defense is different from live side and dead side.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: