Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    momosd

I am posting to get feedback (especially from instructors) on the long-term effects on the body from the type of training we do in Krav Maga. Obviously, the body’s ability to recover is affected by age. My question is: Do you find that the intensity of the training combined with age has any long-term adverse effects on the body?
    In other words, have you heard of long-term effects from the training, aside from the normal aches and pains that go along with it?

Anonymous

Re: Wear and Tear

I’m 29 years old, been training KM for about 6 months, and I find that I recover from KM remarkably quickly.

When I go running or especially weight training, I get a little sore the next day, but really sore on the second day after.

About the age thing, I’ve been training with weights on an off since I was about 13, and always remember getting most sore two days after, and always being annoyed at walking around like a hospital patient when I should have been feeling in top form. I remember overtraining a few times, when the soreness lasted longer, but I think I was pretty sensible most of the time, yet got the same 2nd day aches.

With KM, I feel like I could do it every day. I am usually exhausted after class, but mentally pumped up, so maybe it compensates for the strain, but 99% of the time I’m absolutely ready for another helping the very next day.

However, one unusual ache I’ve experienced is an occassional but pretty distinct and sharp pain in my knee caps (…wonder why , perhaps over extending my leg during kicking).

All in all, I’m no olympic athlete, but I definitely find it easier to recover from KM while working more intensively than in any other activity I’ve ever tried (…other than from taking school exams, of course!!)

karmaok

I can’t speak for Krav specifically, only been doing it ~several years. However I have been doing martial arts a good bit longer. I am 46. “Wear and tear” knee damage has been the long term effect for me personally. I still train regularly, but I have to train smart and wrap as needed. In karate, it was the constant unnatural stances and spinning kicks causing torque on the planted leg that took its toll over time. I find in Krav, back and neck soreness from the chokes and groundwork are the most common but that is different than “damage”. In any case, I would not trade the awesome experiences I have had over the years for two fresh knees. I do not like injuries, but I have gotten used to, and quite enjoy a healthy bit of soreness.

Jeff

Anonymous

quote karmaOK:

train smart and wrap as needed. In karate, it was the constant unnatural stances and spinning kicks causing torque on the planted leg that took its toll over time.

Agreed, since I started wearing knee pads (that are pretty tight, almost as good as wraps), I have had much less knee pain.

About unnatural stances, would you say that the KM basic stance (i.e. everything facing forward towards the opponent) is more natural and therefore more comfortable/less damagingly uncomfortable than other martial arts? I don’t mean to start another one of those “my kung fu is better than your kung fu” debates, but I’m curious about this point.

jjbklb

At 58,there are times that I can barely walk getting out of bed the next day after class.But I probably would have felt just as sore after any serious bout of physical activity.

Why,I rremember the day after that Bingo extravaganza.Have you seen the size of those dauber felt-pens they now use to mark the numbers?

kirsten

Well I have been training for a little bit and my body is torn up. But it’s not been from KM, it was from all the competitive TKD… I broke my lower back and did not know it until 4 years later, which caused a wealth of hip and back issues, I cracked my sternum and could not cough for 6 months or lift more than 10 lbs for a year, broke my clavicle and did not go to the doctor causing shoulder problems, broke all my toes except for two- most all more than twice (have a busted one now.. still), the calcium deposits on my shins and insteps are breaking loose… then the nose, the jaw, and the poor hammy’s…and I have faired much better than most I know… My knees are fine though for some reason. When I think about the alternative, obesity, diabetes, osteoporosis, heart attack and then being a wall flower in life… it’s ALL worth it!

Sean- your turn… I KNOW you have to have some good ones given your resume of training partners; of course you will have to limit the post to 10,000 characters.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Kirsten:

Sean- your turnÖ I KNOW you have to have some good ones given your resume of training partners; of course you will have to limit the post to 10,000 characters.

Actually you beat me hands down, I mean other then yeah the broken toes cracked ribs, busted metacarpals in my hand and split knuckles Iíve been pretty lucky.

Worst training injury was probably attempting suplexing Basís buddy Darren and blowing my knee out (crushed the meniscus) Spent 6 months with Dr. Keith after that one.

Oh and that nasty dislocated right shoulder during phase was a bummer. ñfrozen peas and duct tape were my friend. 🙂

And my left ACL is perpetually nagging at me from 25 years of roundhouses.

Oh and left elbow tendon from an over zealous kimura awarded me by a forum member who shall remain nameless. Worth it just to see the look on Staffords face as he screamed ìheís tapping!!!î

And I almost forgot the 2 handed baseball bat swing to the head I took from D a few weeks ago. Thank God it was a padded stick, still made me ìtake a minuteî

All and allÖ. A little CryoGel and a few ibuprofen and Iím good to go.

All in a days work :beer:

quote CJs Dad:

and a few ibuprofen and Iím good to go.

Yep, that’s what the sports dr. suggested for my shoulder pain: some light rehab work and about 1.8 g of Ibuprofin per day. Seems to be working. (I’m 40, BTW)

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Try the Cryogel too http://www.cryogel.tv/

And 40 is the new 30 🙂

miriam

quote CJs Dad:

Oh and left elbow tendon from an over zealous kimura awarded me by a forum member who shall remain nameless. Worth it just to see the look on Staffords face as he screamed “he’s tapping!!!”

That’s horrible! Whoever that person is, you should definitely exact some revenge from her – uh, I mean him!!! rofl2

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I believe I torment them about it enough – all the time in fact. Since it’s going on 8 weeks now since it happened and it still causes me discomfort I’m not going to let them forget about it anytime soon

saruotoko

quote CJs Dad:

Actually you beat me hands down, I mean other then yeah the broken toes cracked ribs, busted metacarpals in my hand and split knuckles Iíve been pretty lucky.

Worst training injury was probably attempting suplexing Basís buddy Darren and blowing my knee out (crushed the meniscus) Spent 6 months with Dr. Keith after that one.

Oh and that nasty dislocated right shoulder during phase was a bummer. ñfrozen peas and duct tape were my friend. 🙂

And my left ACL is perpetually nagging at me from 25 years of roundhouses.

Oh and left elbow tendon from an over zealous kimura awarded me by a forum member who shall remain nameless. Worth it just to see the look on Staffords face as he screamed ìheís tapping!!!î

And I almost forgot the 2 handed baseball bat swing to the head I took from D a few weeks ago. Thank God it was a padded stick, still made me ìtake a minuteî

All and allÖ. A little CryoGel and a few ibuprofen and Iím good to go.

All in a days work :beer:

And can I just say…that despite/in spite of that bum shoulder in phase, he STILL insisted on throwing elbows after the injury. lol

Brother, you’re nuts. 🙂

emil

quote Kirsten:

When I think about the alternative, obesity, diabetes, osteoporosis, heart attack and then being a wall flower in life… itís ALL worth it!

Couldn’t agree more. Orthopedic injuries, for the most part, are a much better trade off than being a fattie and not being able to walk up a flight of stairs without loosing breath.

garddawg

Yes we live with the sins of our youth, the tears, bumps, and breaks come back to haunt us. Most of us would have taken better care of ourselves if we had known we were going to live this long. That being said, we have been conditioned to accept that it is normal to see a steady decline as we go through our 40’s. Because we accept it, for the most part its true. It doesn’t have to be. Our bodies are designed to be healthy and active far longer than we generally think, and then have a steep sharp decline into death. We short change ourselves by working out incorrectly, sleeping to little, and eating poorly. The result is we start the decline into decrepitude decades before its necessary.
    Eat right, sleep enough, workout correctly you will find your recoverability takes care of itself. You might also find that you get stronger and faster through your 40’s and into your 50’s and beyond.
    Of course we all still have to live with the dumb$&*# stuff we did to ourselves when we were young, 10 feet tall and bulletproof.

jesse

Now you tell me…I’m down to 9′ and 90% bullet proof. I was hoping I could hold out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: