Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge What about bob?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    cmetalman

So, my wife got me the bob punching/kicking bag for christmass , any interesting krav workouts I could do ? oh yeah they send me just the torso part, still waiting for the base so for now I have him on the couch watching the hockey games “go flyers”

guerriere

Re: What about bob?

How about some seated scenarios? You’re on a bus (or train or plane), sitting by the window, and Bob puts you in a headlock (yeah, I know he doesn’t have arms, but just pretend!). Or he puts a gun to your ribs. Or you could put him in the passenger seat or back seat of your car. He’s caught you off guard at a gas station and slipped into your car. He puts a gun to your head or your ribs. Or you’re in a movie theatre. It’s dark. He sits down next to your wife and grabs her. You’re on the other side. …and you have a big bucket of popcorn in your lap and you were kind of nodding off because you’re a nice guy and took your wife to a chick flick to thank her for buying you a Bob. The seats are so close together you don’t have much leg room. She’s gasping for air. The people behind you and on the other side are totally useless. What next?

heh heh This is why I like krav (and this MB). It gives the imagination a workout as well as the body.

cmetalman

Guerriere, those are some good scenarios, I was thinking of practicing doing rear naked choke holds,eye gouges etc… also thought pretending to be at a mac machine having him standing either to the side or back and attacking with hammerfist ,elbows etc. (once I get the base ) reference to taking my wife to a chick flick I’ll let bob take her.

giant-killer

You can also put him on the ground and work on ground fighting scenarios. Get mounted and pummel him. Or put him in between your legs and elbow him, eye gouge etc (as if he were in your guard). You can also practice lying on top of him, putting your weight in just the right spot, then knee and elbow (from the side mount). Imaginary armlocks are also possible, you can get into position, then imagine the arms. Or you could put a T-shirt on him and pants, stuffing them with plastic bags or other clothes and make him some pretend arms and legs. Then you could even attach a training gun to the arms. Let the imagination run wild!! If you want him to look really scary, you could get him a ski mask as well.

cmetalman

Giant Killer, those are some great ideas I never thought of using bob for ground work I figured the usual kicks and punches and maybe like the eye gouges and neck strikes and palm strikes. Thanks

giant-killer

I’ve got a Bob, too and we used to have one at the NTC. It works well for the ground, especially if you use your imagination as well (for locks and such). For example, you could be side mounted, pull him up by the shoulder and imagine you are holding his arm. Then practice getting you leg over his head BEFORE sitting back and staying really tight the whole time, then going for a reverse armlock. Or from a different position, from the side, you can turn him sideways, put one foot up against him, your other knee up against his head, stay tight, then put your hand on his head, put all your weight on it and sit back for an armbar. Hard to describe, but you’ll learn all of these positions in the ground fighting class and then you can practice them with Bob. You can also put chokes on him from there, squeeze all the air out of his neck. Because he doesn’t have limbs, it’s not always perfect, but it can still help a lot. Then throw the strikes in there as well. Have fun! :):

cmetalman

Giant Killer, havn’t done krav over four years plus no krav in philly, havn’t done much ground work, more getting up from the ground asap I guess they teach more ground fighting in krav these days? been praticing with the Bas tapes lifting weights and have a old free standing bag , finally got the Bob for a more realistic workout.

GK… I’ve been half-tempted to pick up this grappling dummy from OTM. $500, but he’s 150lbs of dead weight, has arms that actualy provide resistance, and he’s shaped so that you can put him into any position that you’d encounter in ground fighting (pretty much). My birthday is coming up next month if anyone is feeling generous :D:.

I’ve got a Bob right now, but I haven’t used it too much for ground fighting stuff. I just don’t have the imagination I guess. I have to admit though… Mentioning that you use it to work on staying tight against your opponent got me thinking about it a bit (that’s what always get’s me scolded in ground fighting).

Cmetalman… Krav still teaches to keep the fight off the ground as much as possible. What GK is refering to is a seperate ground fighting class offered at NTC based on BJJ.

J-

guerriere

What is a mac machine?

p.s. I’ve considered buying a bob and dressing him up like people who tick me off but so far KMDC pads do the trick. Dressing him up like suspects in police reports of crimes near my home would be kind of fun too.

quote Guerriere:

What is a mac machine?

p.s. I’ve considered buying a bob and dressing him up like people who tick me off but so far KMDC pads do the trick. Dressing him up like suspects in police reports of crimes near my home would be kind of fun too.

Just don’t put him by the window if you do that. My roomate caught a glimpse of mine (who has a shirt and a hat…. more because of the fact that I have almost no closet space) through the window when she knew I wasn’t home and almost called the cops!

giant-killer

Isn’t there another unaffiliated Krav place in Philly? You could google to check…

My birthday is coming up next month, too and a grappling dummy would be great. Please drop it off at the front office at the NTC!! Can’t wait!!! :):

cmetalman

Guerriere, (whats a mac machine?) sorry ATM machines. Giant Killer references to Krav around here don’t think any close by ,use to have one half an hour from here.

quote Giant Killer:

Isn’t there another unaffiliated Krav place in Philly? You could google to check…

My birthday is coming up next month, too and a grappling dummy would be great. Please drop it off at the front office at the NTC!! Can’t wait!!! :):

Mine’s on the 21st. If you get me one, I’ll get you one.

cmetalman

I mentioned to my wife about the ground and mounting workouts with the bob ,she thinks I need to make some friends, I think she bought me the Bob so I have someone else to talk to since my daughter moved out .

vwr32

It sounds a little odd to use the bob bag for ground work, but it’s really not. I see the BJJ guys practicing going from side to full mount back to side over and over using the Bob bag. Mix in some elbows, chokes, ground and pound. I don’t have a “Bob” bag, but have taken the 6′ thai bag off the chain for ground work. It’s a different punching game (if u’ve never tried it) to punch downward from a mounted position. You lose the rotational power you’re accustomed to from a standing position, so familiarizing yourself in that scenario is essential. Same for being on the bottom and punching upward. As long as you’re not saving a place for Bob at the dinner table, maybe showing her a video might help to ease her concerns.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4IoIQ8DX8I

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: