Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics What else could have been done?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    beach-ranger

Ok, this happened at one of several basketball games I go to. I was not at this particular game (thank God).

A fight ensued between 2 local fans who went against 1 visiting fan. Locals lost, emotions were high, a few words that shouldn’t have been said were said and the punches started to fly.
    :chair:

WARNING: The video shows violent behavior, so if you are with kids use caution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1UdR-aycTU

What I’m concerned with are the first 20 seconds or so of the video. The guy in the middle is pinned between 2 guys who are in his face. It seems there is no way for him to walk back and away from them because of the row of seats behind him. As soon as he raises his hand to cover his face the first punch is thrown. I think he was lucky that a police officer was already stepping in.

I guess that the first thing that he should have done is keep his mouth shut in order to prevent such a situation. But as Krav Maga practitioners, is there something else that you could do in such a situation and in such a confined space besides raising up the hands and waiting for the punches to rain down on you? What would you do? As a beginner I’m trying to understand how to assess a situation with the Krav mentality.

By the way, the guy who had to defend himself was the one who got arrested in the end. :dunno:

don

Re: What else could have been done?

“The best defense is a good offense.”

kmyoshi

What Don said.

He had a good 2-3 seconds of face covering before the first punch was thrown. That is more than enough time to do a preemptive strike against both of them. Reminds me of a drill that CJ’s Dad does with us which is similar to the Shark tank drill but the attackers aren’t actively attacking you, but the defender is surrounded by pad holders holding either tombstone pads or kick shields and the defender is to be spun around until they are dizzy and then must attack the pads (punches, hammerfist, knees, kicks, elbows, etc. … all sorts of combatives), going in a non-sequential pattern meaning if you’re in the circle, don’t just attack in a counter-clockwise or clockwise pattern but go from one pad (enemy) to one that is directly behind you (opposite side), skip one pad over to your right, turn around, repeat. Tough drill because as you start getting tired, you find yourself going in a sequential pattern without even realizing it because I do this a lot! The point of this drill is to basically attack in no set order, as hard and as fast as you can so you build that reflex. If you have to take on two guys, they will not be expecting you to be the one on the attack. Remember with Krav, you always attack the danger, not run away from it.

beach-ranger

Thank you, Don, and thank you for that detailed answer KMyoshi. I’m guessing that one of my challenges will be learning to quickly assess and react, and not getting too tangled in (as they said in The Last Samurai) “too many mind”.

tech94

He knew that the threat was there and the punches were imminent. He psychologically lost the fight when he covered up. As I always say, strike first , strike hard! The fact that he covered and almost immediately punches flew shows that he almost invited the punches at that point. Non verbal cue. Body language gave the open door. Many potential options from improvised weapon to throwing drink in their face to create a gap, burst, push one forward to the down side of the bleachers throwing him off balance just long enough to punch the second guy. Whatever it takes. Strike first, strike hard!

beach-ranger

quote tech94:

push one forward to the down side of the bleachers throwing him off balance just long enough to punch the second guy.

Awesome! Thanks!

don

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJLmS-QsKzI

idbl-fanatic

Dayamn!!!!

kmyoshi

Good post Tech94!

don

quote idbl_fanatic:

Dayamn!!!!

You said it! 😀

beach-ranger

I believe there are no more questions after this.

friis

I would like to watch the original video the thread was about, but its been removed ?? :wav:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: