Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics What MD Facility should I attend??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    kravron

Well in the next few months I will be relocating to Maryland around the Ft. Meade area. I was wondering if anyone has/does attend the Krav school in Bowie as its the closest facility to where I will be located.

If I dont go to bowie looks like I will be learning from Krav MD here soon 😆

Im curious about A) Class prices in the area B) MD Gun laws (to conceal carry or not to conceal carry that is the question C) Quality of instruction at the Bowie/MD facilities D) Who wants my buisness more 😆 J/K on the last one. Just trying to plan ahead.

kravron

No one from Maryland gonna reply? 😥

lor

I’ll bump you up until someone from MD notices. 🙂

This is where the PM function would come in handy. A PM to Jeff in MD would get his attention much faster than a regular post.

Anyone know why it’s turned off? (First I want HTML turned on, then I want the PM function. Sheesh…I’m bossy. 😛 )

kravmdjeff

KravRon, we already have several students from Ft. Meade. Our facility is a ten-minute drive from the base. You definitely want to come check us out.

Here is our website:

http://www.kravmd.com

And here is my e-mail- [email protected]

Jeff Mount
    Krav Maga Maryland
    8865 Stanford Blvd., Suite 141
    Columbia, MD 21045

kravmdjeff

By the way, I re-read your post and saw you had some more specific questions. Gun laws in Maryland are pretty strict. We like to call it \”The People’s Republic of Maryland\” most times 8) .

Anyway, my facility is owned by Krav Maga Maryland and we have four facilities which teach Krav right now in Maryland. If you have a membership here, you can train at any of our locations at your level-appropriate class.

The Bowie school no longer teaches Krav Maga, from what I understand, so if you want to do Krav in Maryland, we’re the folks to talk to. It’s a good group of people, too, and because of our bedroom-community situation with DC, we have tons of military and federal law enforcement here

vt-hokie

KravRon, MD is horrible for gun laws. CCW is practically impossible for regular people (that’s why I study Krav!). There is a push to get us to be a shall-issue state, but it’s an uphill battle.

I used to live across from the base off Ridge Road. Fort Meade has a rod and gun club open to civilians, and right across from the base there is an indoor pistol range. I live over in Montgomery County now, and there is another nice indoor range here that allows rifle fire as well, up to .458 WinMag. Plenty of other places to go shooting, but most are membership-based.

I train at Gordon’s Self Defense (a KravMD adffiliate location) with Otis Berry over in Germantown, and I couldn’t be happier there. Like Jeff said, the Columbia facility is closer to you. I’ve stopped in and it is NICE!

Shoot me an e-mail if you want any other info. And welcome to the People’s Democratic Republic of Maryland!

Regards,
    Dave

kravron

Ahh Excellent! Thanks guys on the updates for gun laws etc etc. How about places to live? I will be working in the area of the base..but my wife may be working in DC, (we arent sure just yet) It will be a few months before I get there but expect to see me pop up sometime after June or so.

I just found out that I was moving so I am still trying to get my bearings on best places to live, affordable housing, least harsh commute for both my wife and myself. Lots of things to go over. Any reccomendations on the towns to look at for housing/apartments (We dont have kids yet)?

What does a membership to Krav MD cost right now? I will deffinately be around, and it’s nice to hear that a membership with MD allows me to go to several different schools. It allows me to visit around and see which school I like best.

I did look at the Columbia facility a little yesterday as I was looking around. And boy howdy was I impressed. Will be interesting to work with new people with different ideas and goals for Krav.

kravmdjeff

VT Hokie: Have I met you before? I’m the really tall (6’5”) red-haired guy, and I’m almost always here. Tell Jeff Gordon I say hello…between him and Otis, you have access to some great, great instructors.

KravRon: Howard County is a beautiful place to live. I actually don’t live here, I live in NW Baltimore County (Owings Mills, to be exact). Columbia is also great because I-95 allows quick access to both Baltimore and DC. It’s relatively pricy, but again there’s a range. It all depends on how much you and your wife want to drive. Our general manager just bought a condo, and real estate appreciates QUICK around here. E-mail me at [email protected] and I’ll see if I can send you some links for real estate listings. And let me know if there’s anything else KravMD can do for you to make your move easier.

vt-hokie

Jeff, I’m pretty sure we met at the Columbia grand opening. I had my 5yo son with me. I stopped in to say \”howdy\” after Otis got done with us that Saturday. BK and Matt were there too, I think.

KravRon, Jeff is right, Howard County is a nice place to live. I lived in Columbia for 2 years before moving over to Anne Arundel County. Both are nice and have good access to major highways for getting into DC. You can also get on the DC Metro really easily from both. Avoid Montgomery County like the plague – housing is ridiculously priced. If I moved here now, I couldn’t afford my own house!

-Dave

kravron

What about the facilities inside DC? Any good? My wife is eyeing Bowie as a good in between to where we are both \”planning\” on working. She still isnt sure where in the DC area she will be OR if she is going to be the same place as me.

I am not as much concerned with the Commute for myself. Its my wife I am worried about. How far is Bowie from the Columbia facility? If its too far I may have to make my every-chance I get Krav into once a week Krav. 😥

But as long is my wife is happy I am not all too concerned.

vt-hokie

If memory serves, Bowie to Columbia is a 20-25 minute drive. Makes me appreciate my 3 minute drive to our school – my house is only 2 miles away!

Haven’t heard anything bad about the DC locations. My only concern would be getting into/out of DC in a timely fashion!

Regards,
    Dave

kravmdjeff

We’re not affiliated with DC, but there are some guys on the board from here. They’re good folks.

ffdo

KRon

I have never been to an MD place, but the KM place in Falls Church VA is great….. Fight Garage

Can’t say a thing about anyplace closer to ya.

Good luck. (Oh, do NOT carry a weapon in DC…..) Bad juju

JC

kravmdjeff

FFDO, the general manager of the Columbia KravMD location used to be one of the primary instructors at the Fighter’s Garage, and the main Krav instructor at our Germantown affiliate also used to be with them.

ryan

FFDO, how long’s it been since you trained at Falls Church?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: