Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics What Other MAs Do You Train or Did Train?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    jaspthecat

Just a question to establish what other MAs/ systems you have trained in or indeed still train in and how you think they have impacted your current ‘Krav Career’.

My personal journey:

Red belt (3rd KUP IIRC) in TKD – had to give that up in my teens.
    1 year Krav
    just under 1 year Muay Thai

I also studied Xing Yi Quan for 2 years, which was great fun but whilst Krav and XYQ really complemented eachother (XYQ has it’s own version of bursting and simultaneous defence / attack) it was just completely at odds with Muay Thai and both disciplines were suffering as a result.

I have found that the Muay Thai has increased my striking ability, defence and conditioning hugely and when I look at the striking technique of a lot of the other pupils in my Krav class (even guys who have done it for a few years), it is fairly rudimentary.

In this respect, I feel that my Muay Thai and Krav are an excellent combination for the purposes of self defence and so will continue on with these 2 together for as long as I can.

So, what other MAs have you trained (still train) and what effect have you noted on your Krav?

kmman

Re: What Other MAs Do You Train or Did Train?

Boxing……a definite benefit to striking. Obviously boxing didnt give the scenario based training Krav does. Kenpo…..really enjoyed Kenpo but did not like testing with kids. Jeet Kune Do……probably the closest thing to Krav Maga (at least from what I have seen) but it’s more complex and takes longer to learn….JKD is in such a political mess it is sad. No two people seem to agree on what JKD “Is”…even original Bruce Lee students. What I think JKD did to help my KM training was to throw away what is not useful and keep what is. It’s the same philosophy as KM and it is so similar I would think Bruce and Imi got together at some point but I have never read that.

Also dabbled in Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu…really enjoyed the tradition.

paul

i am training in Muay Thia with my son, and try to work in BJJ as much as possible for me which unfor. aint alot. I have had exposure to Aikido( Tomiki) and Wing Chun. Karate when i was younger. KM is exactly what I have been looking for.

Like Kimbo Slice… I was street certified.
    Sorry just like that line, I had no previous offical training in any MA but did spend alot of time with the wrong crowd doing bad things. You do develop a don’t quite attitude when you’re fighting/running from a group of people trying to jump you but it’s not quite the same thing.

I found Krav after I had left that life behind me. To bad too, it might have saved me a few tickets and trips downtown. These days its KM for the street, kick boxing, BJJ and wrestling for MMA and strength and conditioning for overall fitness.

eric-joyce

I have been training in martial arts now for over 10 years.

– Testing for Shodan (Black belt) Dec. 5th
    – Ikkyu in Yoshinkan Aikido
    – Level 2 Krav Maga
    – Just started playing with BJJ and Judo with some friends

Each martial art has very interesting concepts and principle that are pretty universal. What I like about Krav is that it does fit into/blend with the arts I practice rather than complicate them. So many martial arts, so little time.

karmaok

Shodon in Wado-Ryu karate
    Crossfit
    Kettlebell training
    Krav Maga >2.5 years

Although Crossfit and Kettlebells are not a MA, both are tremendously helpful and an integral part my Krav Maga training

Jeff

inky

Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido 7-8 years 3rd Purple Belt
    Akikai, Kiatsu & Iaido (sword drawing) Aikido 1-2 years 2nd queue
    Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do 2 years L-2
    Arnis/Escrima/Kali 1+ years L-1
    Krav Maga a few months. L-1

I Still use the Aikido in my personal life everyday, I do practice my Iaido from time to time just to use my swords, I’ve dropped the Jeet Kune Do in favor of Krav but Iíll still read the books, Kali is bad ass and complements JKD and KM well I’m just getting started. I have really embraced the Krav Maga and plan on staying in it to some high degree of L-4 or L-5.
    Coming from the aikido background it kind of hinders the JKD and KM but as I have just started im sure I will break my bad habits i.e.; blading up often.
    The Kali is what I recommend for anyone training for purely self defense (useless for competition IMHO)

I do a moderate anaerobic workout 2-3 times a week, just started with kettle bells.
    I get loads of aerobic from running biking and daily walking the dog.
    I’ve been looking into the fitness kickboxing my center offers but I’m always too busy to make it.

imike

I did a little boxing, judo and ninjitsu at different times.

Now I’m thinking of also taking judo in addition to KM, but there is nothing suitable in my area currently.

Some judo as a kid
    Currently train in Muay Thai – like Jaspthecat above I feel KM & Muay Thai complement each other very well..

stevetuna

To quote Geoff Thompson from his book, “Animal Day” – “…If I had the choice of only one art for the physical aspect of self-defence it would be boxing. If I had the choice of two arts it would be boxing and wrestling / Judo. If I ahd the choice of three it would be boxing, wrestling and Thai.”

Thompson also said that he estimates that 90% of fights start in punching range. Food for thought.

I boxed for a long time. I had a great boxing coach who urged me to punch hard, through the target. That’s about the best advice I ever got.

clfmak

I’ve done around 9 years of choy li fut, but stopped recently because I felt like I was just collecting forms and that’s not what I want out of martial arts. I’ve dabbled in escrima and fencing because I like weapon work. I was recently exposed to judo and may decide to join that dojo (the only hitch is that I’m looking for a job and that’s a priority). I also learned that there’s a place that teaches systema near me at good rates- I’ve seen some great stuff and some very questionable stuff from systema so I’ll have to check it out.

kirsten

quote stevetuna:

To quote Geoff Thompson from his book, “Animal Day” – “…If I had the choice of only one art for the physical aspect of self-defence it would be boxing. If I had the choice of two arts it would be boxing and wrestling / Judo. If I ahd the choice of three it would be boxing, wrestling and Thai.”

Thompson also said that he estimates that 90% of fights start in punching range. Food for thought.

I boxed for a long time. I had a great boxing coach who urged me to punch hard, through the target. That’s about the best advice I ever got.

Or you could just get a Bas Rutten Systems Instructor and get all three rolled into one! Throw in some KM and get the “bad ass package” 🙂

ryan

Steve, you are on the right track, my friend. With KM and FTF, you’ve got it all covered (we even through in a little GT from time to time.) How’s that for alphabet soup? See you in Texas!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: